FAH Client Crashes & Won't Reopen

Hello everyone,

I'm new to folding, I just started last night. Got my main rig (Athlon II X4 640, GTX 560 Ti, see sig for rest of specs) running the desktop client set to full power, turned the GPU fan all the way up in afterburner, and left it for the night. Only had CoreTemp and GPU-Z open for diagnostics, and Chrome open to the controls page. When I went to check on it this morning, there was an error message that the client had crashed, but the system was still using all its resources folding. When I went to adjust settings in chrome, it immediately crashed as well. My GPU and CPU usage were both pegged at 100%, folding away, but when I tried to reopen the client to pause it, it wouldn't open. I even managed to get chrome open by running it as administrator, but I couldn't use that to change the settings because it couldn't connect to the client, because the client still wouldn't run. I even disabled my undervolt in K10Stat to make sure it wasn't CPU instability as a result of that. In the end I had to turn the machine off because I had to leave.

Is this a common problem? If this happens again, is there a way to pause folding without the client running so that I can get the client up again without having to fight for resources? Also, because I'm new to this, how much progress is lost when you power down the system in the middle of it folding? From what I read in the FAQs, it seems as though the system saves it's progress every once in a while to prevent crashes from loosing all the progress on a work unit, but how often is that?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

My main testing/gaming system "Bitlo" is an upgraded HP Pavilion p6710f:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 undervolted to 1.225v vcore @3.00GHz, with additional undevolts for each P-state.

Stock AMD cooler- with the undervolt that's all I actually need

8GB PNY DDR3

Zotac GTX 560 Ti, 880MHz core & 2360MHz mem at stock voltage, has been delidded and repasted, plan on strapping an AIO on to overcome current temp issues

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Every day carry: Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150. Pentium P6200 @2.13GHz, 4GB RAM.

Black themed workstation I'm working on:

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

16GB (2x8) Adata XPG DDR3

Gigabyte R9 290 OC Edition

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB HDD

Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower case

• 2 weeks later...

You can manually set the checkpoint frequency in the client. 

I think it's 15 minutes by default, you can set it to 5 minutes 

or something shorter if you want. I would pause the wu's and

shut it down properly rather than just force quitting it. 

Open the desktop client, configure top left corner then the 

advanced tab and checkpoint frequency. 

This isn't a common issue as far as i am aware, if you can't 

open/re-connect the client or the web page. I think the only 

option is manually shut down the processes in task manager 

and re-opening everything. How the client and processes ties

together has seemed pretty wonky since they did the update 

where you have to connect via the web interface. 

Could try re-installing it, if it's just the client causing issues and 

nothing else. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2016 at 11:38 PM, tobben said:

Could try re-installing it, if it's just the client causing issues and 

nothing else. 

I hate to dredge up old threads, but I'm still having this issue. I finally found the time to try again, and after reinstalling the client, I had a very similar problem. Now the client's not crashing, but the system tray icon isn't showing up at all and I can only access the settings through the web interface. Unfortunately, just as before, chrome crashes as soon as I try to interact with it while the system is folding. Also, for whatever reason, the CPU isn't folding at all- when I left it overnight last night, I had to close the thing in task manager because I couldn't get chrome to run and the client wasn't showing up in the system tray. When I restarted the machine and opened up the web interface to see how much progress I'd made, it showed about %50 of the work unit completed on the GPU but absolutely nothing on the CPU, which I did indeed have set to fold during that time. This is kind of frustrating- I really want to help, but I can't get the darn thing working right and I don't usually have a lot of time to troubleshoot.

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

My main testing/gaming system "Bitlo" is an upgraded HP Pavilion p6710f:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 undervolted to 1.225v vcore @3.00GHz, with additional undevolts for each P-state.

Stock AMD cooler- with the undervolt that's all I actually need

8GB PNY DDR3

Zotac GTX 560 Ti, 880MHz core & 2360MHz mem at stock voltage, has been delidded and repasted, plan on strapping an AIO on to overcome current temp issues

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Every day carry: Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150. Pentium P6200 @2.13GHz, 4GB RAM.

Black themed workstation I'm working on:

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

16GB (2x8) Adata XPG DDR3

Gigabyte R9 290 OC Edition

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB HDD

Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower case

• 2 years later...