"Performance increase by up to 35% on AMD Radeon R9 390 series products in Doom™"

source: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/pages/amd-radeon-software-crimson-edition-16.5.2.1-release-notes.aspx

in relation to this:

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 Highlights
Performance increase by up to 35% on AMD Radeon R9 390 series products in Doom™ versus Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2(1)

-snip-

(1) Testing conducted by AMD Performance Labs as of May 16, 2016 on the AMD Radeon™ R9 390, on a test system comprising Intel i7 5960X CPU, 16GB memory, AMD RSCE 16.5.2 and AMD RSCE 16.5.2.1, Windows 10 x64 using the game Doom™.  PC Manufacturers may vary configurations, yielding different results. At 1920x1080 AMD RSCE 16.5.2 scored 70.29 and AMD RSCE 16.5.2.1 scored 95.11 on the AMD Radeon™ R9 390, which is 35% faster performance.

just for the 390(X)?! what the bloody hell AMD? the 390(X) is basically a 290(X) with higher clocks and VRAM, but no word on that

would be curious on the benchmarks with the new driver across the board, not just 390(X)

Edited by zMeul

lol your post basically contradicts itself...

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

just for the 390(X)?!

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

35% on amd r9 390 series products

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

lol your post basically contradicts itself...

how exactly I contradicted myself?

390 series means R9 390 and R9 390X

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

how exactly I contradicted myself?

its not just the 390X

the topic talks about the 390 but mentions the 390 series which is both the 390 and 390X

also the drivers are for all the r9 series so the other r9 cards get a boost, just not a 35% that the 390 does

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

its not just the 390X

the topic talks about the 390 but mentions the 390 series which is both the 390 and 390X

also the drivers are for all the r9 series so the other r9 cards get a boost, just not a 35% that the 390 does

reading comprehension ...

390(X) means both the 390 and the 390X - what do you think the brackets are for?!

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

reading comprehension ...

390(X) means both the 390 and the 390X - what do you think the brackets are for?!

they are only talking about the 35% for the 390 and 390x

the drivers are for all their cards

all the other cards will still get an improvement, they just dont mention how much

AMD Product Compatibility
The AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 Driver is compatible with the following AMD products.

AMD Desktop Product Family Compatibility
AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 8500 - HD 8900 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics  

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

zMeul, why would you automatically assume that a performance boost would only be for the 390X.

and the 390

because AMD would've said so in their release notes and would've not singled out the R9 390(X) - they specifically pointed out the testing they conducted on R9 390

where is the 290 series, the 280X? specifically the 280X should perform a whole lot closer to 380X

Who cares? This is an OpenGL game. Like all other ID games, this sucks a bit on AMD too, because ID is fixated on using an obsolete redundant mess of a graphics API.

Things will even out when Vulkan is implemented. I can only assume this will be the last AAA title to ever be made on OpenGL. Good riddance.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Wait wait, its called 16.5.2.1? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Wait wait, its called 16.5.2.1? 

Not much changed from 16.5.2. That said I still have the same issue I had with 16.5.2 in this driver.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Dude FFS stop it, you are nitpicking every article in order to hate on AMD.

You are the primary reason I hardly am on this forum.

This update is not a general performance update but a bug fix for 390 series and also 290 series but nobody using them in benchmarks.

The other AMD cards perform as expected in OGL games.

Also this

are AMD's OpenGL drivers so bad? if history taught us something, yes they are - this might be the reasoning behind id's decision to use an older OpenGL version to run on Radeons

Even when they fix their drivers you are still not happy. 

GIVE IT A REST

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

11 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

zMeul, why would you automatically assume that a performance boost would only be for the 390X.

He didn't. Saying 390(X) includes both the 390 and 390X. Come on, he posted a positive AMD article. Quit nitpicking.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

12 minutes ago, Notional said:

Who cares? This is an OpenGL game. Like all other ID games, this sucks a bit on AMD too, because ID is fixated on using an obsolete redundant mess of a graphics API.

Things will even out when Vulkan is implemented. I can only assume this will be the last AAA title to ever be made on OpenGL. Good riddance.

the problem was, and i wish i could find the article, OpenGl itself. AMD got shafted somehow and got the wrong version to make drivers for. after the launch somebody found this, made it apparent to AMD and now we have a proper driver. But it wasn't as bad to play on AMD hardware that some haters convey it did. Gotta love that bait and switch tactic.

5 minutes ago, LabRat said:

the problem was, and i wish i could find the article, OpenGl itself. AMD got shafted somehow and got the wrong version to make drivers for. after the launch somebody found this, made it apparent to AMD and now we have a proper driver. But it wasn't as bad to play on AMD hardware that some haters convey it did. Gotta love that bait and switch tactic.

NVidia runs OpenGl 4.5 and AMD on 4.3 in this game, so yeah it's derped.

Like I said, OpenGL needs to die out asap. Vulkan should do that with the upcoming Doom patch.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Notional said:

NVidia runs OpenGl 4.5 and AMD on 4.3 in this game, so yeah it's derped.

Like I said, OpenGL needs to die out asap. Vulkan should do that with the upcoming Doom patch.

Just saying, that's probably what this driver fixes (among other things)... The incorrect hardware ID as noted by Digital Foundry.

Also I believe it is only the 390x/390 that runs on OpenGL4.3 which is why it is so awful in comparison to the 970.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

16 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

He didn't. Saying 390(X) includes both the 390 and 390X. Come on, he posted a positive AMD article. Quit nitpicking.

That's still not really talking about how the rest of AMD's relevant products fare.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Reading between the lines, they want to highlight the extra perfomance gains on the 390 series, because 35% is significant, on the other cards the gains are probably not as much but are there, so they haven't bothered to highlight them.

Yes this game should have used DX,OGL and Vulcan, like in the good old days when games used to support DX, OGL, and Glide. Makes no sense to exclude DX, they are just punishing a portion of their player base has OGL is far from optimal on their cards.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

36 minutes ago, zMeul said:

just for the 390(X)?! what the bloody hell AMD? the 390(X) is basically a 290(X) with higher clocks and VRAM, but no word on that

would be curious on the benchmarks with the new driver across the board, not just 390(X)

The main thing this driver attempts to fix is an incorrect hardware ID that forced OpenGL4.3.

Ergo if the 290(x) didn't have this hardware ID issue (which you wouldn't naturally expect it to), it wouldn't see the same type of dramatic fps improvements.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Just saying, that's probably what this driver fixes (among other things)... The incorrect hardware ID as noted by Digital Foundry.

Is this the same problem for the 780 and 780 ti? I can't imagine Maxwell hardware having an advantage in OpenGL, but I honestly don't pay much attention to the API so correct me if I'm wrong.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Also I believe it is only the 390x/390 that runs on OpenGL4.3 which is why it is so awful in comparison to the 970.

That might be, but I assume Fury cards or lower than 390 series cards will run worse than equal NVidia cards. OpenGL is just broken. Using the wrong version certainly doesn't help.

The main thing this driver attempts to fix is an incorrect hardware ID that forced OpenGL4.3.

Ergo if the 290(x) didn't have this hardware ID issue (which you wouldn't naturally expect it to), it wouldn't see the same type of dramatic fps improvements.

from people on reddit who already tested it, the OpenGL version isn't changed - it still runs on 4.3

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Is this the same problem for the 780 and 780 ti? I can't imagine Maxwell hardware having an advantage in OpenGL, but I honestly don't pay much attention to the API so correct me if I'm wrong.

I doubt it. It's literally just an issue with the hardware id of the card. It was working properly in beta so no reason to think it can't be fixed.

Just now, zMeul said:

from people on reddit who already tested it, the OpenGL version isn't changed, it still runs on 4.3

Then that is another idk 15-25% waiting... It still had a ways to go compared to the 970.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

That might be, but I assume Fury cards or lower than 390 series cards will run worse than equal NVidia cards. OpenGL is just broken. Using the wrong version certainly doesn't help.

I was under the impression GCN was very powerful at opencl and opengl relative to Nvidia's offerings. But what do I know? It certainly is a third-tier api now that DX12 and Vulkan are available (and being worse than older DX11 at like everything).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I was under the impression GCN was very powerful at opencl and opengl relative to Nvidia's offerings. But what do I know? It certainly is a third-tier api now that DX12 and Vulkan are available (and being worse than older DX11 at like everything).

OpenCL yes, but that is not a graphics API, so it has nothing in common with OpenGL.

But yeah using OpenGL in 2016 makes no sense.