"DDoS Protection"

So I'm thinking about renting a 75/75 line from a company for my house to run a small game server. The only problem is, I don't want some 10 year old with ragebooter constantly knocking off my server. 

Would it be possible to run my server alongside a VPN connection and buy a dedicated IP for it and just have all traffic run through that? Or would the latency be cancer

You are better of just renting an actual server at that point. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, ZetZet said:

You are better of just renting an actual server at that point. 

I've looked into colocation plans around my area and they're going to be very expensive.

I already have solar panels hooked up, and I'm running a pretty beefy box, so as far as my research goes, It's going to be cheaper to just run it by myself.

23 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

I've looked into colocation plans around my area and they're going to be very expensive.

I already have solar panels hooked up, and I'm running a pretty beefy box, so as far as my research goes, It's going to be cheaper to just run it by myself.

If that's the case then look into Cloudflare, I believe that's what LTT uses for DDos protection.

16 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

If that's the case then look into Cloudflare, I believe that's what LTT uses for DDos protection.

Cloudflare only forwards to port 80, which will not work for game servers.

3 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Cloudflare only forwards to port 80, which will not work for game servers.

DDoS protection only works so far, if someone has access to a massive amount of bandwidth more than you have whether it be a single pipe or many distributed systems they will be able to saturate your link. There is not much you can do about traffic that has already reached you. This is one of the reasons to co-locate or rent a VPS, the datacenter has vast amounts of available bandwidth more than some standard novice is going to be able to do anything to and they have protection plans in place from their ISP also. 

Talk to your ISP and see what they have in place, this is one of the reasons why business plans exist over residential plans.

I use a FortiGate 60D at home which has DoS protection capabilities but I don't bother to configure them.

If you're looking for simple protection, CloudFlare works wonders. However, as mentioned before by someone else, it only works for port 80 (HTTP/S traffic). As for proper DDoS protection services, I wish you the best of luck. There's a lot out there, but they're pretty expensive.

If you are running things out of your home, even simple practices such as enabling DDoS protection on your router can help. I used to have some old NETGEAR router that had decent DDoS protection that managed to prevent my access from dropping entirely (it was barely usable, but usable) when someone decided to hit my home line for the sheer hell of it.

It depends on the size of the "empire" you want to build. If it's a gameserver for friends, forget about it. If you're doing something like Minecraft, look into BungeeCord. Rent a super-cheap VPS for like $2/mo and run a BungeeCord instance and have it forward to your home network. You could proxy connections if you're willing to take the time into it. Proxying won't stop your service from going down, but it will stop your home network from going down.

Still, I think you should look into VPS hosting before you bomb on a 75/75 line. A parallel line can cost more than hosting elsewhere. Seriously, you can get dedicated systems with a 1Gbit uplink for $100/mo if you know where to look. I don't know what your providers are like, but there's probably better options than just getting yourself a beefy pipe (not that it's a bad thing .. I too love my big bandwidth connection ;)).

Rent a vheap 1 core ddos protected box, and install an openvpn server on it. Just have your server send all traffic throuh the vpn.

My native language is C++