Connecting a soundbar and desktop speakers to a receiver

kajirye

So I want to buy a home theater receiver, and connect my current soundbar and desktop speakers to said receiver for a 4.1 type of set up (or get a 5th speaker to make a more proper 5.1 setup).

I get that it's probably a stupid plan, but it's what I currently have access to. 

Is this even possible? I know it would be better to just buy a proper sound system, but I don't have the budget for a good setup, and this idea would probably be better than my current setup of both of these connected to a 3.5mm Male to 2x3.5mm female splitter cable. 

(My soundbar is a LG NB2540, and my desktop speakers are Logitech Z-4I's)

47 minutes ago, kajirye said:

So I want to buy a home theater receiver, and connect my current soundbar and desktop speakers to said receiver for a 4.1 type of set up (or get a 5th speaker to make a more proper 5.1 setup).

I get that it's probably a stupid plan, but it's what I currently have access to. 

Is this even possible? I know it would be better to just buy a proper sound system, but I don't have the budget for a good setup, and this idea would probably be better than my current setup of both of these connected to a 3.5mm Male to 2x3.5mm female splitter cable. 

(My soundbar is a LG NB2540, and my desktop speakers are Logitech Z-4I's)

So that sound bar appears to accept a single optical input. There are no receivers that I am aware of, in a reasonable price range, that optical output. It would be rather counter intuitive because the whole point of a receiver is to decode digital information and convert it into sound.

I think you're trying to mix and match too many lower end products. Typically products like your sound bar and computer speakers are not meant to be integrated with a receiver.

I think you're trying to mix and match too many lower end products. Typically products like your sound bar and computer speakers are not meant to be integrated with a receiver.

Yeah pretty much, but I wanted to see if I could do so for a reasonable price rather than pay a good chunk of change I don't have on a proper setup