What is the hottest you have ever seen your hardware?

So today, the long awaited Rainbow 6 Siege DLC launched but unfortunately i was out of town. I had the brilliant idea of downloading that onto my laptop, a several year old dell with a nvidia GT630M, an Intel I7 3537U 2 core 2.00 ghz. After like 30 min on the game, I noticed the WASD keys were getting REALLY warm. The aluminum above the keyboard was also scorching hot as well as the air coming out of the one and only exhaust vent on the side. I popped open my hardware monitor, and noticed that both the CPU and GPU were hovering around 96C with max temps over the past hour at 101C and 100C respectively. That is by far the hottest i have ever seen computer hardware get, and to be honest I am shocked it didn't thermal throttle at like 85C. I should really invest in one of those laptop cooler :D! Anyways, what is the hottest you have ever seen computer hardware get?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Installed AIO from 2008 with peltier cooler.

Pump not working.

95C.

Dont think I ever unplugged something faster.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

The pump in my friend's AiO stopped working, while it was overclocked so the 4790k was at like 100c

2 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Installed AIO from 2008 with peltier cooler.

Pump not working.

95C.

Dont think I ever unplugged something faster.

Wow both of you with pump failures, interesting. I wonder what the AIO manufacture would do if your CPU fried due to the pump failure.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, bgibbz said:

Wow both of you with pump failures, interesting. I wonder what the AIO manufacture would do if your CPU fried due to the pump failure.

it was a used 120mm from a prebuilt cyberpower

we got it back working though

Just now, bgibbz said:

CPU would shut down before then.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

My family's 6-7 year old laptop's fan died once. I've never seen temps shoot up faster before. The cores easily went up to 100-102C.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

3 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

My Fanless GeForce 8400 GS idles at 70c+ and get to ~85c while playing flash video.

Yep, thats essetially my laptop. Apparently the tiny little fan in here cant handle a GPU and CPU. My laptop idles at like 60C on both GPU and CPU. My desktop under benchmark load barely tops 60 on the CPU and 80 on the GPU, both OCed

2 minutes ago, failblox said:

My family's 6-7 year old laptop's fan died once. I've never seen temps shoot up faster before. The cores easily went up to 100-102C.

damn! my temps must have only been over a 100 for a split second before it throttled, otherwise i feel like the system would have blue screened or something like that.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

105c macbook air cpu. Thats normal also.

95C on fbddr2. I burned by self on those suckers.

Wow that macbook temp. I gotta show this to my friends who say "macbooks are better at heat dissipation then every other computer because the whole chassis is a heat spreader" :|

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Wow that macbook temp. I gotta show this to my friends who say "macbooks are better at heat dissipation then every other computer because the whole chassis is a heat spreader" :|

Yep the chassie is also a heat spreader. I have ran this sucker way to hard. I have added my macbook air to a maya render farm. 

I had an old pentium machine I forgot to put thermal paste on and it idled at like 50c and went up to around 70c while gaming.

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I had an old pentium machine I forgot to put thermal paste on and it idled at like 50c and went up to around 70c while gaming.

I am honestly surprised it did that well without thermal paste. 

100°c on my 4790k for less than a second back when I was aircooling and benchmarking with new overclocks. 

90°c on my gtx 980 while benching on air, heavily overclocked

both are fine and still run fantastic 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

30 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

my macbook pro retina stays at 100-102 when playing any remotely good game. The fans spin up to insanely loud levels and the whole chassis becomes warm with the bottom becoming uncomfortably hot. 

and also a defective radeon r7 360 which hit 96 degrees under load - heatsink was not mounted properly and did not contact the entire gpu core. 

54 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

All you'd have to do is send your chip into intel for RMA, they have an extremely relaxed RMA policy in my friends experiences.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

101 on a passively cooled GT 210 playing WoW. I've never had a CPU go over 85 though

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

My Seagate Baracuda 2TB, 56oC because the caddy. Runs at 30-32oC without it+ a fan at 75%

My 4790K at 100oC because the Thermal compound I'm using is pretty much the same stuff found in laptops, OEM desktops and some stereo systems

My GTX 970 G1 Gaming at 89oC with clean fans+heatsink and the stock thermal compound

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The day i did the chassis swap on my system i forgot to connect the PWM pin from the pump on the motherboard, i turned the system on, loaded AIDA64 and there it was , 85c on the hottest core of my E3...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Probably around 98-100c when I still had a Radeon 4850.  It was fairly common for that generation of cards to run at that temperature or close to that.

I don't know about you guys and cpu temperatures, all my motherboards had cpu monitoring features in bios and options to shut down the system when temperature went above a particular temperature.

Hottest, my old 4790k in XTU at 5.1, it was like 101c hottest temp during the test lol.

Coldest, my 6700k on DICE at -75c.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089