SCRAPYARD WARS season 5 Concept Suggestion

Hello everyone,

Just registered to suggest a concept for the next season of Scrapyard Wars :

Theme : "Multiple rigs in one case"

Goal is be to fit as many different computers as possible in a single case.

Rules are as follow :

- must use a consumer grade case (no server rack)

- all computers in the case have to be running and connected to a screen at the same time to run benchmarks

- score is determined by : (sum of the benchmark scores)*number of computers running in the case

What I expect :

- Zombie builds with power issues

- Cases stuffed to the brim with small form factor mobos and laptop components

- Ghetto I/O panels cut in the front/top/anywhere

- Serious heating issues

- Nightmarish cable management

- A lot of fun and entertainment

YES. YEEEEESSSS.

-m. Bison.

But how should they be scored? Benchmark score total multiplied by number of computers in the PC? That way theres defined numbers, incentive to use decent performance PCs ( istead of choking the thing full of Pi's) and a need to balance performance/quatintity.

- snip-

• 2 months later...

Heyo,

Sorry for the late answer and the necro. Yes the "benchmark scores multiplied by the number of computers in the case" seems to be a good scoring system. I doubt the systems would end up aesthetically pleasing so maybe that criteria shouldnt be taken into account, or should it ? It could be fun.
It would be interesting to see both teams picking up the same case and try to make the most of it, with different ideas and skills.

In any wase, does anyone knows when the next scrapyard wars season is supposed to take place ? I'm really looking forward to it.

... And we'll see a full tower case full of raspberry pi's and  a switch... which is pointless for a scrapyard wars series.

I'd rather see something like two teams each having to build two systems, one aiming for biggest performance at lowest price and one for most versatile system within a budget or something like that.

The trick would be to pick some good benchmarks and various applications and to make it clear from the start what benchmarks and what tests could be run so that a system won't win over another just because a system has a SSD and one of the benchmarks gives super high score if ssd is used, or we won't have two generic systems where most of the price is in the video card because majority of benchmarks are games. 

See not the latest scrapyard but previous where both systems had powerful video cards but core2duo or core2quad or some ancient processors because games didn't care about cpu.

I'd like to see a team going the route of buying cheap server grade components off eBay picking a 1u or 2u server with cheap ddr2 or ddr3 registered memory and 2-4 sockets for 5-10$ 2-4 core xeons and using pci-e extenders to shove a video card there, or some hacks like these....  there was a video about using server parts to build a cheap computer

Problem with buying from eBay or other such sites is that it may take a long time for parts to arrive so it's not quite easy to invite people from other cities to LMG offices to film for several days a series like scrapyard wars.

It could be possible to film the beginning of a series and then give each team 15-30 days to order parts and you'd be able to haggle with eBay sellers and wait for replies to messages (and this way local people would also not figure out that another scrapyard wars is filmed so there won't be preferential prices) .. you could have a 30 minute session at the end of each day or every other day to catch up with each team and after 15-30 days both teams could come at the offices for the weekend and spend 2-3 days assembling the systems and doing the scoring.

Thanks for the input.
Yes, as much as it'd be entertaining to see luke filling up a case with Pis, I don't think they should be used for this concept.
There's a simple way to prevent it, if one computer can't run windows/benchmarks programs/games, it shouldn't count towards the final score.

I'm not sure how that'd work... it'd be fairly difficult to build more than just the one computer in a standard case.

Building on that idea though, I'd like to see a "how many (separate) computers can you build for this budget" thing, that'd be cool to see.

• 5 months later...

Hello, I heard in the last Wan Show that Scrapyard Wars might come back eventually (HYPE), so I'm just bumping this thread rather than remaking the same one :)

On 07/08/2016 at 0:02 AM, Mug said:

I'm not sure how that'd work... it'd be fairly difficult to build more than just the one computer in a standard case.

Building on that idea though, I'd like to see a "how many (separate) computers can you build for this budget" thing, that'd be cool to see.

Yes, it would be hard, and entertaining :)

58 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Whoever finds this one on craig's list or retails wins though:

Haha, this doesn't actually look too bad (I'm imagining it a bit more on the ghetto side, aestheticly speaking)

What I'd like to see is every contestant given an identical mass produced computer, some unremarkable, ATX, black box from Lenovo or HP or something that spent 5 years in an office or educational facility.  Then each contestant is given a budget into improving those machines and we see who goes the farthest within that budget.

Teams make rigs of whatever performance they decide (even a GT 210). Then the rigs are exchanged via roulette. Gaming competitions are held with the PC your team get paired with with a suite of varying games ranging from very old to very recent. Winner of the gaming competition wins the Scrapyard Wars. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

• 3 weeks later...

So Season 5 of Scrapyard Wars is confirmed, check yesterday's WAN show.

As a suggestion, maybe building a computer or maybe even an All-in-One, (remember them?) in something other than a Pc case

SLI computer in a shoebox, that is waterproof.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I don't like the idea of cramming as many PC's as possible into one case. Having to fit two computers (or any set number, really, but I think two would be best without just getting retarded) would be better. It would be more well structured.

But honestly, I like this idea best:

On 1/21/2017 at 0:11 PM, AshleyAshes said:

What I'd like to see is every contestant given an identical mass produced computer, some unremarkable, ATX, black box from Lenovo or HP or something that spent 5 years in an office or educational facility.  Then each contestant is given a budget into improving those machines and we see who goes the farthest within that budget.

They live in Vancouver area, so they should easily be able to find 2 (or 3 or 4, since there's no reason we can't have more than 2 teams) identical off-lease Office PC's.

Bonus Points if it's a strange formfactor like a half-height Dell Small Form Factor (Using low profile brackets, etc). But either way, that could be interesting.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Thunderpup said:

I'd like to see them do a robotics theme, or even a micro computer theme.  

Define Micro Computer? You mean a Pi or Ardruino build?

I think I'd rather they have a dedicated show for that, or an off-shoot of scrapyard wars. I prefer SYW sticking to x86 - at least for now.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Define Micro Computer? You mean a Pi or Ardruino build?

I think I'd rather they have a dedicated show for that, or an off-shoot of scrapyard wars. I prefer SYW sticking to x86 - at least for now.

by micro i mean small form factor; which is the term i should have used now that i think about it.

on the Pi/arduino front i do wish to see a dedicated series on that kind of stuff, but not specific to scrap yard wars.  Maybe a DIY solution contest where they are given a problem of sorts and need to use a micro computer to provide a solution.  

10 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

by micro i mean small form factor; which is the term i should have used now that i think about it.

on the Pi/arduino front i do wish to see a dedicated series on that kind of stuff, but not specific to scrap yard wars.  Maybe a DIY solution contest where they are given a problem of sorts and need to use a micro computer to provide a solution.  

Oh I see - you should use the form factor term you mean then. mATX, ITX, etc.