E-cigs are to require FDA review

MoonSpot

As someone that works in a regulatory department for a company that supplies into the market, I will say any responsible company should be confirming the materials they use have suitable clearance under 21 CFR. Although the 21CFR doesn't a have a specific section relating to ecig, we generally go by materials that are GRAS, or approved fro use in medical devices.

9 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

How about people just do things in moderation for once. Smoking is just fine as long as you don;t smoke 20 a day. Why can't people just have some restraint and smoke maybe 1 a day or smoke 1 a week.

Even once per day isn't good for you, but once a week? Probably less of an issue.

The problem with Cigarettes and "just have some restraint" is that the nicotine is highly addictive. For many people, that restraint is very difficult.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Oh good, now hundreds if not thousands of small businesses can go out of business, because they have no products to sell, because other businesses that make the products have gone out of business, because they can't afford the absurd price of FDA testing.

Meanwhile, the Tobacco companies that make "e-cigs" can flood the market with products made as cheaply as possible, that are probably made to BARELY pass FDA testing.

Good job FDA, harming the consumer, as always. All to "regulate" a product that has been demonstrated to be less harmful than smoking, and which can be used to quit smoking. Thanks a lot you giant fucking assholes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have 2 issues with vaping.

1. There's no long term information on health effects, and people are using these reaking awful things indoors and around children with no regard.

2. The "it's just steam" babble. Poppycock. I have seen great sinking green clouds of sickly sweet smog spewing in the wake of vapers. That is not just steam, steam is what comes out of your kettle and it neither looks not smells anything like that.

Even if they are 100% safe they should be subject to exactly the same rules as cigarettes if only due to the nicotine content.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

4 minutes ago, unidentical said:

1. There's no long term information on health effects, and people are using these reaking awful things indoors and around children with no regard.

2. The "it's just steam" babble. Poppycock. I have seen great sinking green clouds of sickly sweet smog spewing it the wake of vapers. That is not just steam, steam is what comes out of your kettle and it neither looks not smells anything like that.

Even if they are 100% safe they should be subject to exactly the same rules as cigarettes if only due to the nicotine content.

I agree on the juice/liquid that goes into them. The entire device, no.

Classifying the entire device as a tobacco product is just abjectly harmful to the industry as a whole. Also, I've never seen an APV spout vapor that is anything but white, so you are either exaggerating, or they were doing something weird, or something else entirely was going on.

Also, there is plenty of data that shows it to be FAR less harmful than actual cigarettes.

On 5/9/2016 at 7:33 PM, Misanthrope said:

Good. Now if only we could do the same for something that's actually intentionally lethal like guns... Oh wait my 2nd ammendment! :(

Speak for your own lawless nation. Here, we mostly use guns for target practice and self defense.

BREAKING NEWS: Today, in America, about 30 Million gun owners DIDN'T KILL ANYONE!

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Speak for your own lawless nation. Here, we mostly use guns for target practice and self defense.

BREAKING NEWS: Today, in America, about 30 Million gun owners DIDN'T KILL ANYONE!

Hush! Logic isn't welcome on this forum!

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I agree on the juice/liquid that goes into them. The entire device, no.

Classifying the entire device as a tobacco product is just abjectly harmful to the industry as a whole. Also, I've never seen an APV spout vapor that is anything but white, so you are either exaggerating, or they were doing something weird, or something else entirely was going on.

Also, there is plenty of data that shows it to be FAR less harmful than actual cigarettes.

Okay, I'll clarify by rules I mean not in businesses, around children etc.

Further to that 'far less harmful' is not harmless. Nicotine is not harmless. 

This is not just a personal choice, that vapour is inhaled by everyone in its presence. It's not like going to a bar where you sit down and have a drink and any damage you do is to only yourself, any long term consequences (known or otherwise) are incurred only by you. 

Like cigarettes any consequences that may or may not come from the use if these devices (long term data for which we won't have for at least a decade) are shared.

And this is the sort of thing I'm talking about:

BN-HZ412_0420va_P_20150420173909.jpg

As a kettle owner I'm qualified to say that is not just steam.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

58 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Oh good, now hundreds if not thousands of small businesses can go out of business, because they have no products to sell, because other businesses that make the products have gone out of business, because they can't afford the absurd price of FDA testing.

Meanwhile, the Tobacco companies that make "e-cigs" can flood the market with products made as cheaply as possible.

Good job FDA, harming the consumer, as always.

First of all if you are under the impression that the companies making e-cigs aren't already making them as cheaply as possible or trying evermore do so, you are sadly mistaken.  Also if you're suggesting that the manufactures suddenly aren't going to want to make money and are going to opt to close up shop, you're completely off your nut.

What IS happening are corporate types bitching and moaning about having to do anything that costs any money whatsoever.  AND all the manufactures are in china anyways, so you can just guess how much of a flying fig they give about the safety of other nations peoples and their guidelines.  Generally it's only juices that aren't made in other countries as moving a drug, nicotine, cross boarders is a whole different ball of wax that was never going to fly otherwise.

There is NO basis to believe that FDA is going to band legitimate nicotine alternative products from the market without just cause, and its only those with vested financial interests in this that are spreading their fortune telling doom and gloom about it because they just don't want to go through the proper regs either because of money or potentially far more nefarious reasons.  Period. 

It's a drug and always needed to be regulated.  Even without nicotine it's still inhaled and should be regulated on that basis alone.

57 minutes ago, unidentical said:

2. The "it's just steam" babble. Poppycock. I have seen great sinking green clouds of sickly sweet smog spewing it the wake of vapers. That is not just steam, steam is what comes out of your kettle and it neither looks not smells anything like that.

True, it is not just steam, not even close to it.  Which is why I for one do not use it in public areas, and don't think others should either. 

50 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Yeah crimes involved guns never come from guns that were purchased legitimately to begin with. No no, criminals just leave some empty bullet casings under their pillow and the evil fucking gun fairy leaves an unregistered gun of that caliber for them magically!

-------

Current Rig

-------

16 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah crimes involved guns never come from guns that were purchased legitimately to begin with. No no, criminals just leave some empty bullet casings under their pillow and the evil fucking gun fairy leaves an unregistered gun of that caliber for them magically!

I definitely agree, many guns used in crimes were - at one point - legally owned or purchased. But America certainly does have unregulated/unregistered guns being smuggled in too - but I suspect that only criminal organizations/cartels would have access to that kind of hardware.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I definitely agree, many guns used in crimes were - at one point - legally owned or purchased. But America certainly does have unregulated/unregistered guns being smuggled in too - but I suspect that only criminal organizations/cartels would have access to that kind of hardware.

True, the logic still applies though: legally obtained guns should be better tracked, even if smuggled guns exist there would be less than the incredibly easy way to purchase a gun over at the next state legally and then go back home. I want people planning to hold up a liquor store to go through more trouble than that. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I propose deregulation of everything, as long as I get to bulldoze the corpses off my driveway with a Mad Max style "War Rig".