High temperature, many overheats, no overclock

Dakpan

Hi guys,

I am using my "gaming" pc for the past 2 years, and since some time now (1-2 months) it has been overheating (CPU mostly) a lot, or restarting itself to prevent overheat in the middle of a game.

It also makes more sounds than it used to.

I have cleaned my PC regularly (1-2 a month) with a dust blower and I have moved my pc from under my desk, to on top of hit to have more air flow.

This is my part list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dakpan/saved/CPvBD3

I wonder if there is something I can do to make it less noisy/heating.
Also, is there any way to get some results of what my CPU/GPU heating is doing while gaming so I can have a record of it?

Thanks in advance!

cleaning is not just blowing away the dust

do some overhaul on your rig

and i suggest removing your cpu cooler, clean the rads well

also the fan attached.. then replace thermal paste

that should do the trick

A. Try replacing the thermal paste

B. Maybe your pump for the AIO is dying (since you mention more noise)

C. Some of the liquid in the AIO probably evaporated (As you mention, it's been 2 years since you first built the system) 

D. This is purely optional and won't fix the current problem, but if you manage to fix it, you should add some more premium fan to your AIO for potentially better temps and lower noise

It seems like I should replace my thermal paste since this has been suggested 4 times, haha.
Thank you very much for your advice guys, is there anything I should look out for during demotaging the CPU etc? (I have not build this pc on my own, someone build it for me kinda a n00b here).

42 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

A. Try replacing the thermal paste

B. Maybe your pump for the AIO is dying (since you mention more noise)

C. Some of the liquid in the AIO probably evaporated (As you mention, it's been 2 years since you first built the system) 

D. This is purely optional and won't fix the current problem, but if you manage to fix it, you should add some more premium fan to your AIO for potentially better temps and lower noise

Like itsmyjobtoknow said, check your pump or check for fluid in your AIO watercooler.

it really sounds like the pump has stopped working properly or it is out of water.

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

8 minutes ago, Las_Killar said:

Like itsmyjobtoknow said, check your pump or check for fluid in your AIO watercooler.

it really sounds like the pump has stopped working properly or it is out of water.

Thank you both for that, I bought that H80i because the builder told me "it never needs replacing water".
The water to use is just normal crane water right? room temperature or something?

43 minutes ago, Dakpan said:

Thank you both for that, I bought that H80i because the builder told me "it never needs replacing water".
The water to use is just normal crane water right? room temperature or something?

The water needs to be non-condutive but i would never try to replace the water in a AIO watercooler, because of the design..

Most of them are designed to "break" if you try to replace water or the pump..

So if i were you i would either buy a new watercooler or an air-cooler.

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV • i7-6700K • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo • Asus Maximus viii Ranger • 16GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz • 2x EVGA GTX1070 • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB + 860 QVO 1TB + 4TB HDD • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80 PLUS Platinum • 1x ASUS MG279Q 1x Samsung S27A350H 1x Samsung S27B750V • Xtrfy XG-K2-RGB • Logitech G502

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX • i5-4460 • Stock Cooler • Asus H81I-PLUS • 8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1600MHz • Sapphire 290 TRI-X "OC" • A400 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD • Corsair CX650M

Main Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 • ASUS PRO WS X570-ACE • Ryzen 9 3900X • 32GB DDR4 • 4TB Parity • 20TB Array total • 2x 240GB SSD Cache

Nas Server:

Spoiler

Unraid 6.8.3 • Silverstone DS380 • Asrock Q2900-ITX • Pentium J2900 • 4GB DDR3 • 3TB Parity • 5.5TB Array total

1 minute ago, Las_Killar said:

The water needs to be non-condutive but i would never try to replace the water in a AIO watercooler, because of the design..

Most of them are designed to "break" if you try to replace water or the pump..

So if i were you i would either buy a new watercooler or an air-cooler.

Thank you for your response! I am looking into buying a new pc when the 1080 etc. release this June. I might do that all at once, but I want to be able to sell this pc knowing that the next buyer doesn't have many issues :)

1 minute ago, Dakpan said:

Thank you for your response! I am looking into buying a new pc when the 1080 etc. release this June. I might do that all at once, but I want to be able to sell this pc knowing that the next buyer doesn't have many issues :)

Then just buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, then there should be no problem..

it's cooling my i7-6700K perfectly, even when i OC the CPU..

Main Machine:

Spoiler

Lan Machine:

Spoiler

Main Server:

Spoiler

Nas Server:

Spoiler