Question about RAM.

Let me get some background out of the way.

I built this computer 2 months ago as my first build.

Specs:

Intel Core i5 3570k (not overclocked yet)

Asrock z77 extreme4

Evga geforce gtx 670 ftw

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600

So for the first month everything went well. After that I got a blue screen I thought nothing of it at first it happens occasionally. Well it got more and more frequent to the point it was happening at least once a day (generally when I'm playing Smite). I decide to run a memtest with all my RAM still installed. Within a minute I have 140 errors all saying the same thing "cannot write to memory". Well I remove one stick of RAM and then the computer wont even turn on. The case fans come on but no reaction from the monitor, mouse, or keyboard. I shutdown the computer and removed the one stick I had in the computer and replaced it with the stick I had previously taken out. Over night I ran the memtest and did not get a single error in the time it was running (about 8 hours).

1. Is it safe to assume the first RAM stick was the issue?

2.Does Corsair have a warranty for their XMS3 RAM?

3. If I buy more another 8GB (2x4GB) kit can I use it and the one good stick I have even though my motherboard calls for duel channel? (so three sticks of RAM in a duel channel mobo)

4. Does the new RAM have to be the same? (Do I need to buy XMS3 or could I buy Corsair Vengeance so long as it is still DDR3-1600 and use it with the one good stick of XMS3 I have)

I would say it is the ram.

I would buy 1 stick of the same kind you have.

There shouldn't be a problem with another brand or speed(1600+), but I'm picky, and would go the same if possible.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

1 - Ya, sounds like that is the issue.

2 - Corsair has warranties on all products. Contact support. The only problem with Ram kits (2x4) is that if you are approved for RMA, you need to ship back the whole kit, so both peices of memory, and they ship you back a replacement kit.

3 - Yes, you can run three slots of memory - you just don't get the benefits if dual channel memory as one will be running in single channel. But really, will you notice? Most likely not.

4 - No, new Ram doesn't have to be same model. Same specs though is best

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99