[HOWTO] Get NVMe support on older motherboards!

I tried but the bios can not be modified I leave the extracted original file, my system is with amd, or in case this system does not work this method. Please help me

• [ mobo ] ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

Extracted.rom

Edited by Zabdiel Rubio

Hi.

I hope you're still on this forum. I have a Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H with the BIOS updated to the latest F11 available on the Gigabyte support page. I have installed a Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, mounted on a Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter, into the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot (the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot is hosting the graphics card). I've managed to get the NVMe drive to show up in windows, and I was following your guide to mod my UEFI rom to make SSD bootable, when I faced the following problem:

When I select CSMCORE in MMTool and Insert the SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.ffs module as Insert Compressed, everything works fine. But then, when I select the Nvme.ffs module and press Insert, an error message says "file size exceeds volume size!". I am unable to get around this problem, and I'd like some help on it.

I am attaching an image of my error message, along with the extracted ROM of my motherboard. Please help!!

Untitled.png

extracted.rom

So, I have successfully managed to circumnavigate this problem of mine, thanks to this forum:

http://www.win-raid.com/t1988f16-file-size-exceeds-the-volume-size-while-inserting-NvmeExpressDxE-compr.html

But now, I have a new problem. I have successfully modded the BIOS and flashed it. I have even updated the other OpROMs... Now when I extract my BIOS rom and open it in MMTool, it shows the Samsung and NVMe modules in it.

But, there is no option in the BIOS for a PCIe Boot, or NVMe Boot. And when I go into Windows Installation, and try to select the NVMe drive for installing, it says that Windows cannot be installed on the selected partition, please enable the controller in the BIOS Setup to enable the system to boot from the selected drive (not the exact words...)

Please Help... 

How about M.2 on 9 year old tech (in my case X58). I have a fully working Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD working with out any mods, modified bios or other things.

Just swapped it in a m.2 to PCIe adaptor, plug it in pci-e on mobo and installed windows and it works with out any problems. Have run with it for about half a year now. Note that SSD speed is limited by PCIe 2.

UhzR7Zj.jpg

A short video i made with boot, shutdown and an a little trip to Bios. Nut the best video, but take it or leave it :P

On 12/10/2017 at 9:46 AM, Samir Faraz said:

So, I have successfully managed to circumnavigate this problem of mine, thanks to this forum:

http://www.win-raid.com/t1988f16-file-size-exceeds-the-volume-size-while-inserting-NvmeExpressDxE-compr.html

But now, I have a new problem. I have successfully modded the BIOS and flashed it. I have even updated the other OpROMs... Now when I extract my BIOS rom and open it in MMTool, it shows the Samsung and NVMe modules in it.

But, there is no option in the BIOS for a PCIe Boot, or NVMe Boot. And when I go into Windows Installation, and try to select the NVMe drive for installing, it says that Windows cannot be installed on the selected partition, please enable the controller in the BIOS Setup to enable the system to boot from the selected drive (not the exact words...)

Please Help... 

I use this method, apart is very simple.See Here But im used this driver Driver

• 2 months later...

Hey, so I tried to open afuwinx64.exe and it opens but every time I press something my pc just freezes up and can't do anything. Any ideas what might be the problem?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread; however, I want to find out if the procedures laid out on page 1 of this thread are still current.

I have an Intel Z77 chipset motherboard and need to add Nvme to it.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, ECD2 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread; however, I want to find out if the procedures laid out on page 1 of this thread are still current.

I have an Intel Z77 chipset motherboard and need to add Nvme to it.

Thank you.

if you use all of the files which are in the OP, they're all the original files. still works

Thank you.

Just to verify, are all Intel of the Chipset Bios made by AMI?  I have searched for this, but have not been able to find anything.

My understanding is that my motherboard, DZ77GA70A does not have a dual bios.  Is that correct?

Since I am new to this, I think I understand the risks.  When I reload the modified bios, let's assume it doesn't boot.  Have I bricked it, or will the Bios recovery function still work?

Thank you for your excellent documentation on this process and the time you have dedicated to it.

On 18/03/2018 at 1:16 PM, ECD2 said:

Thank you.

Just to verify, are all Intel of the Chipset Bios made by AMI?  I have searched for this, but have not been able to find anything.

My understanding is that my motherboard, DZ77GA70A does not have a dual bios.  Is that correct?

Since I am new to this, I think I understand the risks.  When I reload the modified bios, let's assume it doesn't boot.  Have I bricked it, or will the Bios recovery function still work?

Thank you for your excellent documentation on this process and the time you have dedicated to it.

Not all of them, depends on the motherboard manufacturer. Most motherboard vendors seem to use AMI, some use phoenix but thats usually in laptop boards. As for if its not booting, you could possibly still use the recovery function, depends on the board. It's just easier on a dual bios machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried AFUWINx64 V5.05.04 with the /O option and received an Error 46 Problem getting flash info.  ( I am running W10x64 and I did it with the command prompt as Admin.)

Do you have any ideas?

I know it's a while ago you posted this. But I followed your instructions and flashes the bios but no new drive has appeared. I'm trying to use a sm951 in a pcie adapter on a m5a97 rev 2.0 mb. I followed the instructions but only flashes the modded files not the original uefi. It seems to accept it no error or messages.. can anyone help?

On 03/10/2017 at 11:57 PM, Zabdiel Rubio said:

I tried but the bios can not be modified I leave the extracted original file, my system is with amd, or in case this system does not work this method. Please help me

• [ mobo ] ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

Extracted.rom

Did you get yours to work?

• 3 months later...

I am having some difficulty with my system - any help appreciated!  ASUS Maximus V GENE - z77 chipset, Samsung 970 Pro NVME.  I have tried this guide, and flashed bios, no luck seeing anything in the Bios - any help would be great!

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Just flashed my Asus M5A97 EVO and the process was real quick and smooth.  I am now waiting for my SAmsung 970 EVO 500GB and Qnine PCIE to M.2 adapter.  Will update when i receive them and hopefully they will work

• 3 weeks later...

Just flashed my Asus M5A97 EVO and the process was real quick and smooth.  I am now waiting for my SAmsung 970 EVO 500GB and Qnine PCIE to M.2 adapter.  Will update when i receive them and hopefully they will work

unfortunately could not make it work.  cannot see it in bios as boot or anywhere else.  but works fine as a storage

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2017 at 9:46 AM, Samir Faraz said:

Please Help... 

Did you ever figure it out?

Hello

I have 2 computers, 1 m5a97 r2.0 which I was able to successfully mod the bios, and my mushkin pilot 500GB nvme worked OK. but I was stuck at gen2 x2 speeds when my motherboard supports x4 and asus was no help. I'm able to get up to 1.2GB/s which is impressive compared to any SATA connected device. and I am able to boot. However, x2 sucks and I was hoping for a bit more. So Yes it works for m5a97 r2 but not the full 2000MB/s as by research. mushkin's reply was that the overhead on the x4 slot could potentially see as low as 1.2GB/s so maybe it works ?

So I decided to take my 32gb ram, rx580 and move to another motherboard. the p8z77-v lk with a i7 3770, modded the bios. flashed, and no go. got all 4 nvme drivers installed in the bios. is the z77 boards not moddable to boot from NVME? I would really like to get this to work. otherwards I might go back to the fx8350 and loose out on 20% of my single core gaming performance. Just to veryfi I used afudos backup.rom /o and checked to verify that the bios was modded correctly. and it has been. So unless somebody else can help me out. I would say doesn't work at all.

P8Z77-V-LK-ASUS-1402.CAP

*EDIT*

So I have found a work around.

https://www.win-raid.com/t2802f50-Guide-Video-How-to-install-windows-on-NVME-SSD-EVO-without-clover-on-a-board-without-NVMe-support.html

with slightly modified.

I added a startup.nsh to the USB drives efi\boot folder

echo off
fs0:
load nvm.efi
shellx64

then you load into bios, load up the EFI shell you will get promted to cancel of auto loading of the startup.nsh and you can speed up the 5 seconds by hitting space or enter

then i type startup.nsh again afterwards because i created another script inside the NVME boot drive shell

cd efi\boot
bootx64

then i just type startup.nsh and windows loads

IF somebody could help me out by making a script that allows the usb drive to load into the efi shell automatically like a boot menu, load the nvm and then load windows with no user intervention would be amazing!

Edited by TheSpiike

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide.  I was able to successfully flash this on an Asus Z87 Plus Motherboard for a Haswell CPU, whose USB flashback refused to recognize the contents of the USB drive. The EZ flash utility only recognized the USB flash drive at that respective port, only if a USB extension cable was connected.

After using Afwin64 to flash with a modified rom file, I was able to use Afwin64 to extract the file again, and load it into UEFITool, and the 4 nvme files appeared at the bottom of 'dxe' drivers.

I don't have a PCI-e/nvme drive to test with.

flash_success.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 2:35 AM, TheSpiike said:

Hello

I have 2 computers, 1 m5a97 r2.0 which I was able to successfully mod the bios, and my mushkin pilot 500GB nvme worked OK. but I was stuck at gen2 x2 speeds when my motherboard supports x4 and asus was no help. I'm able to get up to 1.2GB/s which is impressive compared to any SATA connected device. and I am able to boot. However, x2 sucks and I was hoping for a bit more. So Yes it works for m5a97 r2 but not the full 2000MB/s as by research. mushkin's reply was that the overhead on the x4 slot could potentially see as low as 1.2GB/s so maybe it works ?

So I decided to take my 32gb ram, rx580 and move to another motherboard. the p8z77-v lk with a i7 3770, modded the bios. flashed, and no go. got all 4 nvme drivers installed in the bios. is the z77 boards not moddable to boot from NVME? I would really like to get this to work. otherwards I might go back to the fx8350 and loose out on 20% of my single core gaming performance. Just to veryfi I used afudos backup.rom /o and checked to verify that the bios was modded correctly. and it has been. So unless somebody else can help me out. I would say doesn't work at all.

P8Z77-V-LK-ASUS-1402.CAP

*EDIT*

So I have found a work around.

https://www.win-raid.com/t2802f50-Guide-Video-How-to-install-windows-on-NVME-SSD-EVO-without-clover-on-a-board-without-NVMe-support.html

with slightly modified.

I added a startup.nsh to the USB drives efi\boot folder

echo off
fs0:
load nvm.efi
shellx64

then you load into bios, load up the EFI shell you will get promted to cancel of auto loading of the startup.nsh and you can speed up the 5 seconds by hitting space or enter

then i type startup.nsh again afterwards because i created another script inside the NVME boot drive shell

cd efi\boot
bootx64

then i just type startup.nsh and windows loads

IF somebody could help me out by making a script that allows the usb drive to load into the efi shell automatically like a boot menu, load the nvm and then load windows with no user intervention would be amazing!

The method i used in the OP works 100% with Z77 boards, it worked perfect on both my P8Z77-V-PRO as well as my P8Q77-M board. When i was using the Q77 board, i was running the NVMe drive on the 2.0 x4 slot, which limited the speed of my 950 Pro down to 1.2-1.6GB/s, so what your seeing of 1.2GB is normal for 2.0 x4.

(You can verify using Crystal Disk Info)

image.png.5c068740f4e5d2c8ed94e2a84f4a94b1.png

Remember the drive most likely won't appear in the boot menu (though it did for me AFTER installing the OS), and also remember the install from the M5 board might not be bootable on Z77 board anyway due to differences with drivers, it's best to do a complete clean install when changing entire platforms, it'll also make sure you are running in EFI mode rather than legacy mode. (Z77 will be EFI with compatibility support module Disabled, and legacy mode with it Enabled - so make sure you disable CSM before installing, itll also improve your boot times)

On 10/20/2018 at 4:35 AM, TheSpiike said:

the p8z77-v lk with a i7 3770, modded the bios

I have a Asus P8Z77 WS (Intel Socket 1155, chipset Intel Z77, PCIe 3.0 dual x16, BIOS version 3505 2013/04/01) and Intel Core i7-3770K. I want to use the NVMe SSD as a boot disk. What can you advise me, in view of your experience modifying the BIOS? What BIOS to get NVMe drivers from? Which NVMe driver extraction and deployment tools are best to use?

P8Z77-WS-ASUS-3505.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my friends,

With a ASUS P8H77-M_PRO (CG8270) and a adaptor ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD, I have got boot from a "970 EVO NVMe M.2". Making a mod of my BIOS file with your instructions.

Thanks .

I have the same issue.my motherboard is ECS Z87H3-A3X with UEFI features & i have a ADATA XPG SX6000Pro 256GB PCIe 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 NVMe 1.3 SSD

I CAN SET UP WINDOWS 10 on it,but the problem is i cant boot that drive because i cant see the bdrive in bios boot option? can u pls help me or what can u suggest?should i modify my bios for me to be able  to boot from that drive? by the way i use pcie riser NGFF for nvme ssd because the mobo has to slot nor nvme

• 1 month later...

Pictures under "Extracting and Modifying the UEFI." no longer are showing. Pls fix them.
I have a question - is Asus H81M-K motherboad can be moded this way to boot from Samsung EVO series SSDs? And if yes then could you pls help me with the mod?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB for my Razer Blade (2015) laptop. 9 times out of 10, the laptop doesn't detect the drive, but that 1 time it does, it boots straight to Windows, and works flawlessly... could this be related to what you're talking about?

It uses a Haswell HM87 chipset.