[HOWTO] Get NVMe support on older motherboards!

Is there a chance of this working on an Asus P5E?

I'd like to put a ssd drive on the pcie port (even if non m.2) to gain space.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

i'm trying to mod a Asus H61m-E Bios 1303 version

i made all the procedure, inserted the compressed modules into csmcore but, once i go for saving the new modded rom, the mmtool program save the file with the warning that will be saved as UNSIGNED ROM.

once i go for programming, beside the file size is correct and equal to the original rom, the AFUWINX64 program report me that the bios can't be flashed because size is not correct.

can someone help me?

regards

• 2 months later...

Hello, I would like to inform you that the procedure worked well on the ASUS H61M-C motherboard with an M.2 Kingston A-1000. In addition to what I described in the tutorial, I had to insert the file "NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs" in the second credits link guide and configure bootable USB with Windows 10 following the topic "Installing the operating system on NVMe SSD" also on the second link of the credits. The files are stored for whoever needs them.

Olá, gostaria de informar que o procedimento deu certo na placa mãe ASUS H61M-C com um M.2 Kingston A-1000. Além do descrito no tutorial, precisei inserir o arquivo "NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs" presente no guia do segundo link dos créditos e configurar o USB bootável com o Windows 10 seguindo o tópico "Instalação do sistema operacional no SSD NVMe" também presente no segundo link dos créditos. Os arquivos estão anexo pra quem precisar.

NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs

Extracted.rom

On 11/21/2018 at 6:24 AM, ValkyrieStar said:

The method i used in the OP works 100% with Z77 boards, it worked perfect on both my P8Z77-V-PRO as well as my P8Q77-M board. When i was using the Q77 board, i was running the NVMe drive on the 2.0 x4 slot, which limited the speed of my 950 Pro down to 1.2-1.6GB/s, so what your seeing of 1.2GB is normal for 2.0 x4.

(You can verify using Crystal Disk Info)

image.png.5c068740f4e5d2c8ed94e2a84f4a94b1.png

Remember the drive most likely won't appear in the boot menu (though it did for me AFTER installing the OS), and also remember the install from the M5 board might not be bootable on Z77 board anyway due to differences with drivers, it's best to do a complete clean install when changing entire platforms, it'll also make sure you are running in EFI mode rather than legacy mode. (Z77 will be EFI with compatibility support module Disabled, and legacy mode with it Enabled - so make sure you disable CSM before installing, itll also improve your boot times)

I can confirm that this works with the P8Z77-V-LK motherboard from Asus, just got it working with an Intel 660p nvme drive. It wouldn't show up until I did a fresh install of windows and I had to disable CSM, but then it started working flawlessly. Thanks OP!

Modified.rom

UnModifiedRom.rom

Are the same this modules NVMe_UEFI_MOD\Modules\ with these https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html ?

there will not be a conflict if I add all the modules to the bios? z87-plus

Does need to extrack the body via the program UEFITool before firmware through USB Flashback BIOS?

• 1 month later...

can anyone help me to bios mod motherboard brand ECS Z77H2-A2X(DELUXE V2.0) ?

• 4 weeks later...

I have added NVME Booting to my Asrock q77 VPro successfully, I contacted Asrock in 2017 and got a new bios file with the INTEL-SA-00075 vulnerability patched so I used that as my base. So not only does it have NVME support it is also slightly more secure than what is on asrocks product page.

I've attached the bios file raw so just drag it onto a memory stick and use the instant flash tool from the boot menu, no need to extract it.

NVMEQ77MVP1.51

If anyone needs any help setting it up with this particular board feel free to message me.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have an ASUS H61M-K board and NMVe doesn't recognize me. This is my UEFI bios, could someone configure it for me?

Thanks.

Solved, it works perfectly.
Thank you very much

Extracted.rom

Why the transfer mode is only 2.0 and can be 3.0 ??? How could it be fixed? Thank you

2019-11-21 12.16.40.jpg

On 11/21/2019 at 11:22 AM, luiswu said:

Why the transfer mode is only 2.0 and can be 3.0 ??? How could it be fixed? Thank you

2019-11-21 12.16.40.jpg

What CPU are you using? Ivy Bridge support 3.0, Sandy Bridge only 2.0

On 7/26/2019 at 1:21 PM, Hwec said:

Are the same this modules NVMe_UEFI_MOD\Modules\ with these https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html ?

there will not be a conflict if I add all the modules to the bios? z87-plus

Does need to extrack the body via the program UEFITool before firmware through USB Flashback BIOS?

My Z390 board (asrock z390 phantom gaming 9) interestingly has the same modules as the ones i use in my post;

NvmeInt13

Nvme

NvmeSmm

The modules i use here are used in every single motherboard that asrock, msi, asus and gigabyte make, so i would assume that these are the 'better' bet.

If mmtool complains it has not enough space, try theirs, they look smaller file sizes at least. If it works, go for it.

Their guide uses modules which look like they are modified from some devopment kit.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to try this with my GA-990FXA-UD3 and SP512 NVMe, from what I've read it should work out pretty well. High hoples as it is not a new rig.

On 5/6/2016 at 9:35 PM, ValkyrieStar said:

Results

• If you are successful, please PM or post your original UEFI and the modified ROM, along with board model and revision (use CPU-Z to find that). I will add it to my download server, so others can use them as known working versions.

m/b ASUS Z87-K

CPU-Z TXT Report.txt Z87-K-ASUS-1402.CAP Z87-K-ASUS-1402_mod.rom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

P7P55D-EVO motherboard https://www.asus.com/en/Motherboards/P7P55D_EVO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Samsung 970 PRO 512 SSD

Via Adapter for SSD M.2 AgeStar AS-MC01

it was not possible to modify bios itself (((

NVMe boot required

Help (((

P7P55D-EVO-ASUS-2101.ROM

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon!

I've just bought a SD GIGABYTE 512GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280 and put it in a PCIE adapter. Unfortunately i never thought that my motherboard won't be able to read it and now i am stuck with an useless ssd.

The motherboard is Gigabyte B85-HD3-A rev 1.0 ... it already has the last bios update. F3 American Megatrends Inc. Haswell Chipset. B85 Southbridge.

i also have saved a copy of the original bios. Can anyone help me with it or i will have to get a new motherboard?

Gigabyte b85-hd3-a f3 bios

On 7/23/2019 at 5:46 PM, daltonpearson said:

I can confirm that this works with the P8Z77-V-LK motherboard from Asus, just got it working with an Intel 660p nvme drive. It wouldn't show up until I did a fresh install of windows and I had to disable CSM, but then it started working flawlessly. Thanks OP!

Modified.rom

UnModifiedRom.rom

I have been unable to get my own files to write (using AFUWIN64_v3.05.04, size mismatch) to my P8Z77-V-LK, but I was able to write your Modified.rom file.  Bios still won't recognize my NVMe drive as bootable though.  Can you provide any more details on how you got yours to work?  What did you use to flash the files, and how did you make the modified ROM (they both look different from my source file, the 1402 bios).

Update:  I managed to get my Asus P8Z77-V-LK booting to Windows 10 on a PCIx 4x slot, with an M.2 NVMe drive in an adapter card.  While I'm still not sure why my previous attempts didn't work, I'll describe what worked for me for posterity.  For me, I did not have a working OS on the computer and so some of the steps below can be skipped/modified if you do.  I am not sure why, but worth noting - I can flash the latest 1402 bios from ASUS, then immediately extract it and the file is about 2KB smaller.  Perhaps this is CAP vs ROM format, I am not sure, but this was the key to why I had problems yesterday.  I was unable to flash a modified 1402 bios from ASUS, but I was able to flash a modified 1402 bios which I obtained by extracting it from my bios.  I was able to flash either of daltonpearson's files from above, but it did not allow booting from the M.2 drive for me, even though under my uneducated-inspection it looked good.

1. Download AFUWIN64_v3.05.04, MMTool Aptio 4.50.0023, and NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs (links found in this Guide).
  2. Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create a Win10 boot USB stick.
  3. Copy the 3 files from step 1 into a new folder on the USB drive from step 2.  Extract all the files if they are compressed archives (zip/rar/7z/etc).
  4. Boot using the USB drive from step 2, select Troubleshooting and then Command Line.
  5. cd into the folder created in step 3 (i.e. cd /D C:\tmp)  You might need to use diskpart.exe to figure out which drive-letter is your USB stick.
  6. Extract your current UEFI BIOS to a file (i.e. AFUWINX64.exe C:\tmp\bios.orig.rom \U)
  7. You may leave that computer on, but move the USB drive to another computer to run MMTool.
  8. Follow the guide under the "MMTool 4.50.0023" section to insert the ffs file into your bios.orig.rom file (creating a "bios.mod.rom" file)
  9. Replace the USB drive on the target computer from step 7, and run the command to flash the new bios (i.e. AFUWINX64.exe C:\tmp\bios.mod.rom /GAN)
  10. Reboot the computer and you should see your M.2 drive as bootable (if you already installed Windows on it).  If you do not see it, use the boot stick from step 2 to install Windows 10 on the M.2 drive.  I was able to do this step first, as the Win10 installer locates the drive without issue, it's just the bios that can't boot from there, so for me after step 9, my drive booted and the Windows 10 installation continued without issue!

Edited by Thracx

Hi i have a motherboard from Gigabyte GA-H87-M HD3

attached you can find the original rom.

is it possible to add NVMe support with PCIe

i can not find out how it works.

Thanks already

Jupietrbe

H87MHD3.F10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I know I'm coming a bit late to this party but I hope maybe someone can help.

I'm running Win10 Pro on an ASUS P8Z77-V-LX motherboard [most recent Bios is 2501] with a Ivybridge Core i7 processor and I would like to be able to put the OS on to a Samsung 970EVO Plus SSD and boot from there. The 970EVO is installed in a PCIe Gen3x16 slot using a M.2 adapter.

I've spent a lot of time reading all the Guides and Tutorials and have added the three NVMe modules to the Bios plus the NvmExpressDxe_4 module. I pulled the three Nvme modules off a ASUS Z97 Bios if that is relevant.

Problem is I haven't been able to successfully flash the modded Bios. ASUS EZ Flash just flags it as a Security failure.

I'm aware, of course, that being a CAP file EZ Flash may be objecting to the modifications.

But I'm also wondering if I've missed a trick? Or if maybe the NvmExpressDxe_4 module is in the wrong place - it is currently inserted after the the other three NVMe modules.

Spent a lot of time reading and researching and have downloaded all the relevant tools e.g. MMTool and AFUWin64. But am not making much progress with solving this problem.

I haven't quite got my mind around the AFUWin64 method of extracting the Bios as a rom modifying that and flashing it back as a rom. So.... if anyone would like to comment on that approach or be kind enough to suggest another way forward I would be most grateful.

Apologies if I've missed out any relevant info and happy to answer questions of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello team

i have an Asus Z77 Sabertooth with i7-3770 and 32 GB RAM plus with BIOS 2104.cap  from Asus. Disks: plus a 4 TB HDD disk via SATA3 and an 256 GB SSD SATA3 2.5 disk.

I try to make the new M2 Samsung 970 EVO on a PCIE 3.0 8x Adapter work. Beside the GEforce GTX680 all in a Corsair Setup. on the c-drive there is a windows 7 installation... I want to upgrade the pc to Windows10 now. Windows 10 should boot from the nvme - I will disconnect the c-drive SSD disk...

I have followed the process from the start of this thread.

How can I now activate the NVME 2.0  Samsung EVO970 M.2 SSD as a booting allowed device? I want to put the Windows 10 on this new nvme chip. So far I can see it on the windows explorer - however it does not show up in the BIOS menu...

Must this be switched on in the boot tab of the BIOS UEFI Menu?

It is strange that the BIOS filesize of the extracted.rom is the same after the initial export AND after the modding with the 4 files (Samsung_M2_DXE.ffs, nvme.ffs, NvmeSmm.ffs, NVMEInt13.ffs)

Anbody has any hints? Attached the modded bios - before and after modding.

It is strange that when i use the MMTool on the 3 files nvme*  there comes an error when I try to insert them. Message. Same GUID already exists. Strange.

Any hints?

Kind regards

R+

export2.rom Extracted.rom Extracted.rpt

On 1/21/2020 at 3:11 PM, Jupiterbe said:

Hi i have a motherboard from Gigabyte GA-H87-M HD3

attached you can find the original rom.

is it possible to add NVMe support with PCIe

i can not find out how it works.

Thanks already

Jupietrbe

H87MHD3.F10 8 MB · 0 downloads

Hello try the first and the last step of this process  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/592133-howto-get-nvme-support-on-older-motherboards/?do=findComment&comment=7704460

It should normally work. I am just trying this for my ASUS z77 Sabertooth Motherboard...

On 8/28/2019 at 10:43 AM, YordiDeRijcke said:

Modified BIOS for ASUS Z9PA-D8 (BIOS version 5602, verified working by me):

Z9PA-D8-ASUS-5602_NVMe.rom 8 MB · 13 downloads

Could you explain the exact steps you did in order to make it work?

Seems that the file you uploaded is not the CAP format (it differs in size) and the Z9PA-D8 motherboard only allows for bios-update using EZ Flash 2?