ValkyrieStar

[HOWTO] Get NVMe support on older motherboards!

Hi.

I hope you're still on this forum. I have a Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H with the BIOS updated to the latest F11 available on the Gigabyte support page. I have installed a Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, mounted on a Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter, into the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot (the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot is hosting the graphics card). I've managed to get the NVMe drive to show up in windows, and I was following your guide to mod my UEFI rom to make SSD bootable, when I faced the following problem:

When I select CSMCORE in MMTool and Insert the SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.ffs module as Insert Compressed, everything works fine. But then, when I select the Nvme.ffs module and press Insert, an error message says "file size exceeds volume size!". I am unable to get around this problem, and I'd like some help on it.

I am attaching an image of my error message, along with the extracted ROM of my motherboard. Please help!!

Untitled.png

extracted.rom

So, I have successfully managed to circumnavigate this problem of mine, thanks to this forum:

http://www.win-raid.com/t1988f16-file-size-exceeds-the-volume-size-while-inserting-NvmeExpressDxE-compr.html

But now, I have a new problem. I have successfully modded the BIOS and flashed it. I have even updated the other OpROMs... Now when I extract my BIOS rom and open it in MMTool, it shows the Samsung and NVMe modules in it.

But, there is no option in the BIOS for a PCIe Boot, or NVMe Boot. And when I go into Windows Installation, and try to select the NVMe drive for installing, it says that Windows cannot be installed on the selected partition, please enable the controller in the BIOS Setup to enable the system to boot from the selected drive (not the exact words...)

Please Help... 

How about M.2 on 9 year old tech (in my case X58). I have a fully working Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD working with out any mods, modified bios or other things.

Just swapped it in a m.2 to PCIe adaptor, plug it in pci-e on mobo and installed windows and it works with out any problems. Have run with it for about half a year now. Note that SSD speed is limited by PCIe 2.

UhzR7Zj.jpg

A short video i made with boot, shutdown and an a little trip to Bios. Nut the best video, but take it or leave it :P

On 12/10/2017 at 9:46 AM, Samir Faraz said:

So, I have successfully managed to circumnavigate this problem of mine, thanks to this forum:

http://www.win-raid.com/t1988f16-file-size-exceeds-the-volume-size-while-inserting-NvmeExpressDxE-compr.html

But now, I have a new problem. I have successfully modded the BIOS and flashed it. I have even updated the other OpROMs... Now when I extract my BIOS rom and open it in MMTool, it shows the Samsung and NVMe modules in it.

But, there is no option in the BIOS for a PCIe Boot, or NVMe Boot. And when I go into Windows Installation, and try to select the NVMe drive for installing, it says that Windows cannot be installed on the selected partition, please enable the controller in the BIOS Setup to enable the system to boot from the selected drive (not the exact words...)

Please Help... 

I use this method, apart is very simple.See Here But im used this driver Driver

Hey, so I tried to open afuwinx64.exe and it opens but every time I press something my pc just freezes up and can't do anything. Any ideas what might be the problem?

Sorry to bump an old thread; however, I want to find out if the procedures laid out on page 1 of this thread are still current.

I have an Intel Z77 chipset motherboard and need to add Nvme to it.

Thank you.

Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, ECD2 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread; however, I want to find out if the procedures laid out on page 1 of this thread are still current.

I have an Intel Z77 chipset motherboard and need to add Nvme to it.

Thank you.

if you use all of the files which are in the OP, they're all the original files. still works

Thank you.

Just to verify, are all Intel of the Chipset Bios made by AMI?  I have searched for this, but have not been able to find anything.

My understanding is that my motherboard, DZ77GA70A does not have a dual bios.  Is that correct?

Since I am new to this, I think I understand the risks.  When I reload the modified bios, let's assume it doesn't boot.  Have I bricked it, or will the Bios recovery function still work?

Thank you for your excellent documentation on this process and the time you have dedicated to it.

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 18/03/2018 at 1:16 PM, ECD2 said:

Thank you.

Just to verify, are all Intel of the Chipset Bios made by AMI?  I have searched for this, but have not been able to find anything.

My understanding is that my motherboard, DZ77GA70A does not have a dual bios.  Is that correct?

Since I am new to this, I think I understand the risks.  When I reload the modified bios, let's assume it doesn't boot.  Have I bricked it, or will the Bios recovery function still work?

Thank you for your excellent documentation on this process and the time you have dedicated to it.

Not all of them, depends on the motherboard manufacturer. Most motherboard vendors seem to use AMI, some use phoenix but thats usually in laptop boards. As for if its not booting, you could possibly still use the recovery function, depends on the board. It's just easier on a dual bios machine.

I tried AFUWINx64 V5.05.04 with the /O option and received an Error 46 Problem getting flash info.  ( I am running W10x64 and I did it with the command prompt as Admin.)

Do you have any ideas?

I know it's a while ago you posted this. But I followed your instructions and flashes the bios but no new drive has appeared. I'm trying to use a sm951 in a pcie adapter on a m5a97 rev 2.0 mb. I followed the instructions but only flashes the modded files not the original uefi. It seems to accept it no error or messages.. can anyone help?

On 03/10/2017 at 11:57 PM, Zabdiel Rubio said:

I tried but the bios can not be modified I leave the extracted original file, my system is with amd, or in case this system does not work this method. Please help me

• [ mobo ] ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

Extracted.rom

Did you get yours to work?

I am having some difficulty with my system - any help appreciated!  ASUS Maximus V GENE - z77 chipset, Samsung 970 Pro NVME.  I have tried this guide, and flashed bios, no luck seeing anything in the Bios - any help would be great!

Thanks