DIY Testbench

Inpired my this video from LTT i first trided the same out of an old micro atx tower which was laying around.

But then i found it easier to make it out of wood scrap my gradfather had saying around.

All tools i used for this were A Handsaw for wood, a battery drill, a pocket knife and a wood file which i borrowed from my gradfather

And the PC-hardware were froma n old pc i buyed at ebay for 30 € because i wanted the it's PC-Case

I Don't know if i keep the backpane of the old  pc case from my father, maybe Cut it a bit, or just remove it and trow it away ,

so i apreciate your idears/oppinions^^

IMAG0554.jpg

IMAG0553.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

IMAG0551.jpg

IMAG0552.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ye.  I'll start on mine when i move to my new apartment 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

After watching your video I got really excited and decided to build my own testbench(I often repair computers and the hustle of taking of the cover of my case was to much for me at this point) and because I don't have a lot of money I started looking for some scrap parts.

I found this great motherboard with cooper pipes for about 20 $ and decided to put on a big old cooper radiator form cooler master I believe, to mach the motherboard.

I got a QuadCore Q6600 LGA775 CPU from a pc garage sale for about 25 $ and 4 sticks of 1GB DDR2  for about 20 $

As you can see in the pictures below I had a crappy video card and I did not afford to buy a new one, so I stared digging trough my box of dead parts and found a GT 9600 1GB form ASUS and got it to work using the oven method from that video Linus made, but the problem was that the cooler was broken. I could of went to the local store and bought a new one, but since this was a scrap build I decided to adapt an LGA775 cooler instead.

I built the case of the computer form some plastic sheet I had and a threaded rod and because i had a lot of free space under the motherboard I decided to place 2 speakers with built in amplifier in there and use a 1 to 7 USB hub with blue LED's to mach the motherboard.

The power supply and the harddrive I allready had, so I did not have to buy new ones.

I invested around 80 $ into this computer and I belive it turned out great.

2016-07-24 21.37.20.jpg

2016-07-24 21.15.34.jpg

2016-07-24 20.33.20.jpg

2016-07-11 14.23.16.jpg

2016-07-09 10.35.40.jpg

2016-07-02 22.07.05.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My DIY testbench - pc case

total costs 25euros and two days

DSC_0094_1.JPG

DSC_0095_1.JPG

DSC_0099_1.JPG

DSC_0102_1.JPG

DSC_0104_1.JPG

DSC_0105_1.JPG

DSC_0106_1.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I've done something Similar to luke. Using an old case to create something new, a great idea.

So i went ahead and grabbed all i need and started. It took like 90h but the results ware great. Have a look1.jpgP1210531.JPG

If you want to have deteiled instuctions, look in my Profile.

P1210543.JPGP1230265.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw the Sparks are cool YouTube video and I'm a huge fan of the LinusTechTips show.  After watching the video, I then had to post in my idea about how I found a nice shoe tray at Bed Bath and Beyond and how it works perfectly for a PC Tech bench. I also found that the sides of the stand will fit a two 140mm fans side by side perfectly.  I just ordered 4 Corsair AF140s, two for each side of the rack.  I actually made a YouTube video about the unboxing and build here:  https://youtu.be/N4XCbZoYWt4

open-air-pc-hack.jpg

And here is the link to the show rack at Bed Bath and Beyond: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/2-tier-iron-stackable-shoe-storage-rack/1041451854 

I found the Rack to be very sturdy and strong.  Right now, I am using antistatic shipping wrap as an insulator on the shelf to protect the motherboard from the metal sides. I plan on creating some kind mother tray lift, but now, its just sits free on the antistatic wrap..  I just love how I can put two motherboards on this rack system.  Heck, I am even thinking about getting another rack and making a PC cluster.  Anyhow, you cant beat the price of $30. I post more pictures later on...

9 hours ago, LogicProHacks said:

Just saw the Sparks are cool YouTube video and I'm a huge fan of the LinusTechTips show.  After watching the video, I then had to post in my idea about how I found a nice shoe tray at Bed Bath and Beyond and how it works perfectly for a PC Tech bench. I also found that the sides of the stand will fit a two 140mm fans side by side perfectly.  I just ordered 4 Corsair AF140s, two for each side of the rack.  I actually made a YouTube video about the unboxing and build here:  https://youtu.be/N4XCbZoYWt4

open-air-pc-hack.jpg

And here is the link to the show rack at Bed Bath and Beyond: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/2-tier-iron-stackable-shoe-storage-rack/1041451854 

I found the Rack to be very sturdy and strong.  Right now, I am using antistatic shipping wrap as an insulator on the shelf to protect the motherboard from the metal sides. I plan on creating some kind mother tray lift, but now, its just sits free on the antistatic wrap..  I just love how I can put two motherboards on this rack system.  Heck, I am even thinking about getting another rack and making a PC cluster.  Anyhow, you cant beat the price of $30. I post more pictures later on...

I would put the mother board on the top and the psu and drives on the bottom so you can more easily do things on the mother board and also you don't need to touch drives and psu as often as the mother board.

• 3 months later...

Used an old dell case, moved the hard drive bay and PSU area to the bottom then welded it all together and painted it black.

15785617_10209177454087866_28701169_o.jpg

15778144_10209177454287871_544464353_o.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So after watching your video Luke I remembered I still had my old rig I built back in high school. This machine started in an Antrec 900 case (which I am modding for a new water cooled sky lake 6700 build) and has been swapped back and forth from that case and this Plexiglas case it was resting in when I retired the 9 year old thing. Being made of all 1/4" panels and being ugly as hell by today's standards made hacking up this old 10 year + old case up for a test bed (really only making this out of boredom but actually find it very useful for testing old components). I decided to only make it big enough to hold a full size ATX (like the ancient MSI P6N-SLI that is on it) and have the power supply and hard drives (maybe disk/floppy if needed) on the lower tray to make it as small a form factor as i could. So cut some peaces and dill some holes and blame it's done, so I'm still rocking the old Q6600 and P6N-SLI board with 8Gb of Corsair XMS DDR2 ram till I need to upgrade them to be compatible with newer tech but it works for testing older stuff that people running 5+ year PC's have. I want to get in to building custom systems for people in my area in the future so having a test bench should prove to be more useful then just making sure old man Jankins computer doesn't want to go on the internet because his 801.11g network adapter isn't working :P. So ya pictures are listed from start to well almost finished... I haven't decided if I want to cut down and install the hard/disk drive mounts that were in the case, I'm only really running the ssd with the OS on it at the moment but I'll probably mount it in there at some point.  

20170220_202007[1].jpg

20170220_203631[1].jpg

20170220_203949[1].jpg

20170220_204514[1].jpg

20170220_220004[1].jpg

20170222_195346[1].jpg

20170222_202537[1].jpg

• 1 month later...

I made a test bench out of aluminum bars, mdf, mixed screws and a dream. My only tools were an old saw, an old hacksaw, a drill that ran out of power a lot, and a stripped Phillips head screw bit. I got lazy at the end and just zip tied the storage and PSU and taped the storage together. I made this in 2 hours with materials I found in my garage. I'm both proud and ashamed of this.

0403172210a_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I made a test bench with an old case. But I did not like it the first time so I did some more work on it. This is the result.

Version1:

WP_20161218_15_07_33_Pro.thumb.jpg.d9a07f14967941cb78be903f905f2479.jpgWP_20161218_15_07_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.9440a84f12ad924fcd4de4d11ab0d7f5.jpg

This is verion 2:

WP_20170212_18_26_02_Rich.thumb.jpg.ff44796fc29e662011b1c7fef0cc0c84.jpgWP_20170212_18_26_19_Rich.thumb.jpg.3e750c86f17e6353b00e40688676c0f3.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this thread is still a thing but here goes

i use this as a test bench but it's also being used as a OBS encoding pc with the NDI pluggin.

zxxTerl.jpg

w9h6J0V.jpg

yR0X0aT.jpg

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

• 1 month later...

I sure hope this thread is a thing, I just signed up to this forum specifically to build either my own DIY test bench or my own custom case of sorts. I have 2 PC cases sitting around, as well as a bunch of old parts I'm want to use.

I even have a slick plan for adding RGB, and I don't like RGB, but if I'm going to post pictures of something here, I am assuming it should have RGB or sorts.

First post to forum as well. So many firsts right here.

• 9 months later...

ÖOk so its an old topic but I just saw the video. Heres a rough "proof of concept" build. The end result will be much cleaner.

She's rocking a msi b75ma-p45 mobo, i5 3570k, random oem gpu, 16gb ddr3, 450w psu and a 80gb hdd. Yes only 80gb. But she works as planned.

FB_IMG_1555069620501.jpg

FB_IMG_1555069630489.jpg

• 3 years later...

Greetings =)

i just started to Test thinsg for myself and saw your Video back from 2016.

So this is my little attempt of an Testbench, took me about one hour in total and was at a cost of 10€ if i count the wood and Screws.

Fully mobile and accessable from any direktion, as well as super stable and durable. I dont need Colours and stuff, i#m also more the practical type.

Still searching for any good solution to holt my Satadrive in space, but i guess ill find or built something usefull.

Have a nice Weekend and greetings from Germany =)

04.jpg

06.jpg

12.jpg