LinusTechTips Forums As An App

The makers of LinusTechTips should make it an app if they can, it'd be much better than a website in my opinion. What do you guys think?

1 minute ago, ShayMaster [PC Noob] said:

The makers of LinusTechTips should make it an app if they can, it'd be much better than a website in my opinion. What do you guys think?

You Should

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

Just now, ShayMaster [PC Noob] said:

we had the discussion in the past. its too expensive

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Just now, Arty said:

The Mobile Site Works fine, an App is just redundant. 

i mean it would be nice because its faster and uses less mobile data but its not going to happen soon.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Super unnecessary imo. The mobile site is flawless if you ask me.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Moved to Feature Suggestions.

What specifically about a mobile app do you prefer? Just using the mobile version of the site works fairly well, and it doesn't involve the large cost that would be involved with making a mobile app.

HTTP/2 203

Remember when they had like linustechtips.com 2.0 My iPhone 4 gave up and died from there. The site is :/ on the iPhone 4, but for a phone with an 800MHz single core processor, it does well.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

There was one some time ago (unofficial I believe) but honestly I don't see the point in a full blown app.

3 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Moved to Feature Suggestions.

What specifically about a mobile app do you prefer? Just using the mobile version of the site works fairly well, and it doesn't involve the large cost that would be involved with making a mobile app.

One nice thing might be getting notifications directly without accessing the site, maybe a widget or something.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

After the overhaul a few months ago, the mobile website is lovely. The old LTT site was a pain in the ass to use on mobile.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

6 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

i mean it would be nice because its faster and uses less mobile data but its not going to happen soon.

Where do you place this claim? If it reads same data with site, how much faster or less data consuming it can be?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Where do you place this claim? If it reads same data with site, how much faster or less data consuming it can be?

a mobile app has all the logos and and core architecture of the forum already in place. the browser reloads all the logos and bottons every time. the only thing the app needs is the profile pictures and the text. its also way better optimized than the browser.

if you used tapatalk when it was possible you know the difference. 

1 hour ago, ChrisCross said:

a mobile app has all the logos and and core architecture of the forum already in place. the browser reloads all the logos and bottons every time. the only thing the app needs is the profile pictures and the text. its also way better optimized than the browser.

I tested TapaTalk one point before upgrade. Didn't really noticed anything different. It may be better for slower speeds. But I'm not too sure about logos being issue. Rather I'd say profile pics and other embedded media is the part causing slow loading and more data being used.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I tested TapaTalk one point before upgrade. Didn't really noticed anything different. It may be better for slower speeds. But I'm not too sure about logos being issue. Rather I'd say profile pics and other embedded media is the part causing slow loading and more data being used.

yeah im on h and h+.  i noticed it quite a bit. and notifications would be nice but they are working on that

I'd prefer the old LTT on mobile. The quotes are always fucked up in the new one. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

21 hours ago, Sauron said:

One nice thing might be getting notifications directly without accessing the site, maybe a widget or something.

This is actually technically possible now. At least on the android with chrome. Unsure about the iOS version. There has been the option to receive push notifications from websites for quite some time now actually. Not to many sites other than facebook support it as far as I know.

13 hours ago, Pohernori said:

I'd prefer the old LTT on mobile. The quotes are always fucked up in the new one. 

Agreed.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

9 hours ago, EmeraldFlame said:

This is actually technically possible now. At least on the android with chrome. Unsure about the iOS version. There has been the option to receive push notifications from websites for quite some time now actually. Not to many sites other than facebook support it as far as I know.

Without need to have browser running on background? I know Firefox can do it when running on background.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Without need to have browser running on background? I know Firefox can do it when running on background.

Mobile Chrome and alpha versions of Mobile Firefox will work even if the site is not loaded in the browser, and the browser is not running at all, but it requires quite a lot of work to make it work (I am looking into it).

HTTP/2 203

• 2 weeks later...
On May 6, 2016 at 2:16 AM, ChrisCross said:

All logos and CSS will be cached by the browser and will only be loaded if the cache is invalid. 

The app web connectors are essentially the exact same as the browser's, there should be little to no performance difference between the two. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

12 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

but there was a noticeable difference between tapatalk and the website. at least on the snapdragon 801.

I once tried a little bit of programming for Android, nothing professional, just for fun. While I made some research, there was an easy tutorial for using WebView to mimick a mobile website as an app. Sure it is a very slow and cheap solution but it worked.

As others stated the mobile version of LTT is just fine with Firefox or Chrome. Especially because you can add shortcuts to your homescreen. What I would suggest, please refer to my screenshot, to add an LTT icon. Note that all shortcuts in the first two lines in the screenshot are Chrome/Chromium Links to the mobile websites. Arstechnica has it and the four German websites in the first line too. The "L" is LTT whereas The Verge is the "T".

I guess it is just a larger favicon for exactly these use case scenarios. So maybe the LTT orange L in the black square?

Screenshot_20160516-161941.png

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

I'm sure there was an unofficial app somewhere?

Also, there's tapatalk for Android (Not sure if it's on IOS...)

IT Student | Gamer | PC Enthusiast | Life Liver

On 5/6/2016 at 8:56 AM, Pohernori said:

Well it's kinda fucked up on the actual site so...(I know you posted that 10 days ago so blame @Blade of Grass for replying to this thread...jokes, pls don't hurt me :/).

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)