AMD Zen Initially only Coming With 8-Core Dies-8 Core and 6 Core Zen CPUs to be the First to Hit the Market

DocSwag
10 minutes ago, Notional said:

They literally say that the i3 is at 100% load.

100% load doesn't necessarily means that's where the problem lies. Techspot doesn't show a huge difference between a 6700k and an i3 when paired with a 980ti.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

For Opterons, AMD was accurate. For FX and Athlon, they went with consumer-typical workloads.

Fair enough. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

16 minutes ago, Notional said:

Do you know how easy it is to induce 100% load on a core?

Spoiler

int main() {
	while(true) {}
	return 0;
}

If the CPU is just waiting for a frame to finish before submitting the data for the next and then resuming the normal pipeline and is using polling (spin locks) instead of a single core waking the others up, then you can have 100% load and not be doing any real work and have plenty of cycles left to spare.

For all cores, using OpenMP for brevity, obviously ignoring the complexities of working on multiple frames at once, but you get the idea.

int main() {
	bool FND = false;  //Frame Not Done
	#pragma omp parallel
    {
		while(true) { //Game loop for everyone
			//SPMD asynchronous environment
			#pragma omp master
			{
				//submit new frame data for crunching
				FND = true;
			}
			#pragma omp barrier //no threads proceed until master's task is done

while(FND) { //Everyone waits for the frame processing to finish before proceeding with the next
				#pragma omp master
				{
					//wait until GPU responds.
					FND = false;
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

21 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

This is assuming a work load that takes advantage of using all cores.

That goes without saying, but you can only compare CPU's at their full performance. Otherwise a 4790k would beat the crap out of a 5960x due to the much higher clock speed.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

36 minutes ago, Notional said:

the point is it works for everyone else and the only thing that changes is the gpu

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

16 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

@DocSwag   @Notional  @AluminiumTech @420istoday  Sorry for the format. LTT is bugging out on Google Chrome and not always submitting and then locking down.

Screenshot from 2016-05-05 11-27-58.png

Screenshot from 2016-05-05 11-28-05.png

Yeah the forum's quote function is a bit buggy for the time being. Idk why.

Yeah please link those tables. I have no doubt Intel's is better though, my point is that the small difference might not be directly transferable to higher performance.

However if we compare Intel's high performance SRAM at 0.0706 µm2 to Samsung's high performance SRAM at 0.080 µm2, we are not at all at 22% difference, but rather ~12,5%.

As for HDL, we don't know how dense they made ZEN or how it affects clock rate on 14nm FF LPP. It might not affect all that much on the smaller node or they might not use HDL at all (although I doubt that). Carrizo has the north bridge built into the APU, so using HDL there makes perfect sense due to the lower clock speed needed.

Either way, it's too early to conclude anything about ZEN performance. As such we cannot conclude anything on price either.

Like I mentioned earlier, AMD doesn't need ZEN to beat Intel's KOTH products to be competitive or a success for that matter. They have to be good enough to be a viable option on both server and consumer systems.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

if the 8 core isn't too expensive i might go with AMD and jump back on the Windows for games Virtual Machine

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm looking forward to 8-core for sure. Good that they're focusing at high end. Now just for benchmarks and final specs.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, Notional said:

If you have 4x Intel cores running 15% higher IPC than ZEN, then all else equal, the Intel should be 15% faster. If the ZEN has 6 cores instead of 4, ZEN would be 50% faster than a 4 core ZEN. That's a 35% performance increase on the ZEN in this example. If the ZEN has SMT and the i5 not, then that's an additional -5-30% performance increase (yes SMT can screw up things too).

You forgot about clock speeds. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

All in all, honestly we currently do not have the resources to make good assumptions about Zen. The only info we know for sure is that Zen will have greater than 40% more IPC than Excavator and will use DDR4. That's it. Everything else is rumor.

We can make general guesses about Zen performance, but other than that we can't make any assumptions. We can pinpoint it's IPC to somewhere between Ivy Bridge and Skylake (And if more than 40% IPC means a lot more than 40% IPC gain perhaps even equal or greater IPC than Kaby Lake), but other than that we can't make good guesses. Chances are it will go up to 8 cores, but that doesn't tell us anything about cache or other stuff, and doesn't help that much. We know it has SMT, but we don't know how AMD's implementation works and how much of a performance gain it will give. We know next to nothing about clock speeds. Clock speeds could be around 3 ghz for four core CPUs (though quite unlikely) or maybe over 4.5 ghz on six-cores.

Zen may be confirmed as is also one of the most hotly debated topics among CPUs today, but we don't know enough to make assumptions. Therefore all this topic about how Zen is gonna be between Ivy Bridge and Haswell or below Ivy Bridge or just below Kaby Lake or whatever is all BS. You can't argue about something that you don't know anything about. It's just stupid. So just stop arguing about how good Zen is gonna be and what Intel processor it's gonna be like. You can't make any assumptions, so you can't argue.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You forgot about clock speeds. 

IPC is irrelevant of clock speeds, so no I did not forget it. It's just not relevant in that comparison. It's also why I wrote "all else equal", as DRAM and all sorts of other things can influence performance.

6 hours ago, ZetZet said:

If the 6 core is 300+ usd rip in pieces AMD.

It should be 200, direct competition for the i5. (if it even has the performance of an i5)

you dont know how it will perform, so that claim is just stupid. 

I gotta say, people saying the 6 core Zen should be $200? You're basically saying that an Intel i7-5930 should be $200. Do you see the problem with that statement? It makes no sense.

You're assuming AMD's 6-core Zen will be another Bulldozer, and will run quite badly for the number of cores and clock rate.

We can't say for certain where it should be priced, since no one has seen any verified independent benchmarks yet. But I expect the 6 core to be at least $300, if not even more then that.

Remember, for the Low End, AMD also has Bristol Ridge launching at the same time with their APU's. These are excavator based, so not as good as Zen, but certainly they're not bad for entry-level gaming, and should be competitive with low end i3 setups.

I imagine that the 4-core Zen variants will probably be coming within a few months-to-half-a-year after Zen launches. They probably just want to get some high performance hot sellers out there to gain interest first.

Also, we don't know what OEM's are getting. They might not be releasing any 4-core Zen units simply because the OEM channels have already earmarked all of the 4-core supply at launch.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It could be that they price it like Thuban? The top end Thuban chips was $400. It really depends on how Zen performs in relation to whatever Intel has, and how much AMD is willing to undercut Intel.

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I gotta say, people saying the 6 core Zen should be $200? You're basically saying that an Intel i7-5930 should be $200. Do you see the problem with that statement? It makes no sense.

yeah it's going to match an extreme intel processor with 95w tdp...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

yeah it's going to match an extreme intel processor with 95w tdp...

There's this thing called overclocking. It's pretty cool.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

There's this thing called overclocking. It's pretty cool.

Yeah, I know, Intel has figured that one out too, that's why they call them extreme

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

Yeah, I know, Intel has figured that one out too, that's why they call them extreme

My point was that the 95 watt TDP isn't a limiting factor. If, say, the Zen CPU can OC as far as the Intel one, the 95 watt TDP only means it's slower out of the box, but is just as fast (in clock speeds) once OCed. The TDP isn't a limiting factor at all.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

My point was that the 95 watt TDP isn't a limiting factor. If, say, the Zen CPU can OC as far as the Intel one, the 95 watt TDP only means it's slower out of the box, but is just as fast (in clock speeds) once OCed. The TDP isn't a limiting factor at all.

yes, it still won't match it since you can overclock 5930k...

Spoiler

This is such a funny thread to read :D kinda surprised how an admin/mod hasn't locked it yet for all of these butthurt people but I agree with @DocSwag, why can't AMD make a fast but efficient chip? @ZetZet just because it has a TDP of 95w =/= it's going to have a low clock speed and more importantly, TDP=/=power consumption...a CPU can have a TDP of 95w but why can't it be sucking 150w from the PSU? TDP is really only there to be used as a guide on how much heat it's going to be emitted by the CPU underload and not how much power it's going to require/consume. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

This is such a funny thread to read :D kinda surprised how an admin/mod hasn't locked it yet for all of these butthurt people but I agree with @DocSwag, why can't AMD make a fast but efficient chip? @ZetZet just because it has a TDP of 95w =/= it's going to have a low clock speed and more importantly, TDP=/=power consumption...a CPU can have a TDP of 95w but why can't it be sucking 150w from the PSU? TDP is really only there to be used as a guide on how much heat it's going to be emitted by the CPU underload and not how much power it's going to require/consume. 

tdp is a measure of heat, yes. but since in processors pretty much all energy is expelled outwards because you aren't turning an engine, heat is a good measurement of power draw, as pretty much all tests throughout history have shown. 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

tdp is a measure of heat, yes. but since in processors pretty much all energy is expelled outwards because you aren't turning an engine, heat is a good measurement of power draw, as pretty much all tests throughout history have shown. 

That's true but maybe AMD has broken away from the usual trend of TDP=similar to what the actual power consumption is. I don't see why their 8-core zen CPU can't be clocked at 4GHz while having a 95watt TDP, just because you're/we're not used to seeing something like that doesn't mean it's not possible. Why can't their 14nm CPUs be extremely efficient, so efficient that it's more efficient than skylake CPUs? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

That's true but maybe AMD has broken away from the usual trend of TDP=similar to what the actual power consumption is.

that doesn't make any sense.

you mean AMD could defeat the laws of physics to compete with Intel? WHY HAVEN'T THEY DONE THAT BEFORE

Spoiler