My NAS build

JJB

Hi guys can you help me with my NAS build?

I already have the case, here's what I have so far:

CPU ?

Mobo ?

Ram Kingston value ECC (16GB) (DDR3)

HDD WD Red 4TB (3x)

PSU Corsair CX430

Case Coolermaster HAF 915R

OS ?

Basically I want it to be for home backup and movie streaming box.

In my house there are 5 computers that I want to back up on it, for 5TB total.

I only require a MB with 1 Gb/s ethernet because that's all that the switches in my house allow.

Looking to spend €900 total and in my region the parts (PSU, HDD's and RAM add up to be about €600)

Thanks in advance!

Do you have any spare parts laying around that could be used? As I know a NAS box doesnt require a great deal of performance.

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

Just now, DarkShadowUK said:

Do you have any spare parts laying around that could be used? As I know a NAS box doesnt require a great deal of performance.

sadly, only the case

If only streaming 1080p to a couple devices simultaneously then G3240 or G3220 is a terrific processor that is budget friendly. Supports ECC and offers a high clock rate. Not recommended if you plan to run virtual machines as it is only a dual core.

Otherwise the E3-1220v3 is a fast and rock solid processor. Will do everything under the sun and then some. Not hard to find either new or used.

After that any motherboard that uses a cxxx chipset (in order to support ECC) will do you. I like supermicro personally.

I'd recommend staying with haswell generation - just not enough reason to spend extra on skylake for a NAS / media host.