Setting up a private WiFi network from school ethernet issues

MrLigugu

Today I brought my own router because the school's WiFi does not reach to a certain room, there are computers in this room with ethernet cables attached, so I unplugged one and plugged it into the router (into the WAN port which works perfectly at home). It broadcasts the network because it has power, but the internet does not work. Do I need to change any of the router settings? (All I have done is set my own password etc so me and friends can access it).

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Since it's a school network they probably have sow thing the blocks other routers idk

3 minutes ago, MrLigugu said:

Today I brought my own router because the school's WiFi does not reach to a certain room, there are computers in this room with ethernet cables attached, so I unplugged one and plugged it into the router (into the WAN port which works perfectly at home). It broadcasts the network because it has power, but the internet does not work. Do I need to change any of the router settings? (All I have done is set my own password etc so me and friends can access it).

Um, I sure that they've set MAC address filter on to the ports. No matter what you're going to do, it'll never work. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I would guess they have restrictions against using your own hardware like that.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

I am not completely sure if this would work but I would assume its close to how setting up a LAN party would work. Try disabling the DCHP server and plug the Ethernet into a LAN port. if someone could confirm this that would be great.

EDIT: Basically you would be setting it up like a range extender not as an actual router

Edited by ghssovereign

1 minute ago, ghssovereign said:

I am not completely sure if this would work but I would assume its close to how setting up a LAN party would work. Try disabling the DCHP server and plug the Ethernet into a LAN port. if someone could confirm this that would be great.

I did try disabling the DHCP server but didn't try running it through a LAN port, I thought this just wouldn't emit the wifi because it wasn't connected to the WAN socket

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm willing to bet that your school has a policy against connecting your own network devices to their network, and they probably have filters on that will prevent any unregistered MAC address from successfully connecting to the network. It's also an pretty huge security risk especially if its a wireless router.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Could be MAC filtering, though I personally would run a RADIUS server at which point you can't.  

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

3 minutes ago, MrLigugu said:

I did try disabling the DHCP server but didn't try running it through a LAN port, I thought this just wouldn't emit the wifi because it wasn't connected to the WAN socket

The WAN port is for connecting the modem to the router. In most cases (yours may be different) schools have routers set up around the school that would create a network. So, I am assuming that you're trying to plug into a router not into a modem. But I do agree with DevilishBooster. Try anyways though.

Alright that will be the last resort, thank you all!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

5 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

I'm willing to bet that your school has a policy against connecting your own network devices to their network, and they probably have filters on that will prevent any unregistered MAC address from successfully connecting to the network. It's also an pretty huge security risk especially if its a wireless router.

My school doesn't...BYOD so they have to allow new MAC addresses to access the network :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

My school doesn't...BYOD so they have to allow new MAC addresses to access the network :D 

That is an insanely idiotic IT cyber security policy, especially for a school that has highly personal information on their servers - for not only the students - but the parents/legal guardians. I feel sorry for whoever has to work in their IT dept.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 minute ago, DevilishBooster said:

That is an insanely idiotic IT cyber security policy, especially for a school that has highly personal information on their servers - for not only the students - but the parents/legal guardians. I feel sorry for whoever has to work in their IT dept.

But we only connect to the internet from those routers and whatnot, the highly personal details are stored on another server where it's encrypted and only the IT technicians can access it. (obviously there's a database teachers can access that are not as personal such as classes, their teachers, student card numbers, school email and what medical conditions they have ect.). Plus, any devices that aren't registered to the registed MAC addresses cannot access anything stored on storage servers (school work such as essays, powerpoints ect) only purely the internet. You have to log into a school computer to be able to access your folder on the school server where everyone's access is restricted to their own folder.

Just because they allow new MAC address onto a network where only internet access is the only thing that can be accessed doesn't mean it's unsafe since the servers with the data you're talking about is offline with only a single set of monitor, keyboard and mouse can access that data.

20 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

You can easily have two completely air-gapped and separate networks. One for the dorm rooms and whatnot and then another for the classrooms and I would hope that's the case.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

55 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But we only connect to the internet from those routers and whatnot, the highly personal details are stored on another server where it's encrypted and only the IT technicians can access it. (obviously there's a database teachers can access that are not as personal such as classes, their teachers, student card numbers, school email and what medical conditions they have ect.). Plus, any devices that aren't registered to the registed MAC addresses cannot access anything stored on storage servers (school work such as essays, powerpoints ect) only purely the internet. You have to log into a school computer to be able to access your folder on the school server where everyone's access is restricted to their own folder.

Just because they allow new MAC address onto a network where only internet access is the only thing that can be accessed doesn't mean it's unsafe since the servers with the data you're talking about is offline with only a single set of monitor, keyboard and mouse can access that data.

48 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You can easily have two completely air-gapped and separate networks. One for the dorm rooms and whatnot and then another for the classrooms and I would hope that's the case.

If we are talking about two completely independent networks and the one in question is purely only for the students to connect to the internet in their dorm rooms, then ok, that should be fine. From the initial posts I was under the impression that this was something to be on the school's network itself, a network like what you would find at a high school.

END OF LINE

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

If we are talking about two completely independent networks and the one in question is purely only for the students to connect to the internet in their dorm rooms, then ok, that should be fine. From the initial posts I was under the impression that this was something to be on the school's network itself, a network like what you would find at a high school.

Yah, if the networks are connected then that's a huge security risk and not okay.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

I am talking about a high school...I'm a high schooler :D There are 4 different networks, one for students to connect to the internet with on their BYOD devices, one for the students to store their school work files done on school computers, one for teachers and finally, one for personal information that's not connected to either of those networks (okay, sometimes some of the files gets put onto the teacher's server/networks so they can get the required details for trips ect.):P 

(did I say I go to a private school with 1200~ people in secondary and around 1000 in primary? so yeah...they can afford all of the servers with proper cooling (there are 3 server rooms located throughout the campus and I've been in one :)))

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I am talking about a high school...I'm a high schooler :D There are 4 different networks, one for students to connect to the internet with on their BYOD devices, one for the students to store their school work files done on school computers, one for teachers and finally, one for personal information that's not connected to either of those networks (okay, sometimes some of the files gets put onto the teacher's server/networks so they can get the required details for trips ect.):P 

(did I say I go to a private school with 1200~ people in secondary and around 1000 in primary? so yeah...they can afford all of the servers with proper cooling (there are 3 server rooms located throughout the campus and I've been in one :)))

Wow, you are definitely lucky. My high school had one network and it was a POS that you couldn't connect any personal devices to, but that's public schools for you. (Also it was back in the mid '00s)

END OF LINE

17 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

Wow, you are definitely lucky. My high school had one network and it was a POS that you couldn't connect any personal devices to, but that's public schools for you. (Also it was back in the mid '00s)

Everyone in my school is soooo happy that it's now BYOD and not school only computers as the 2010 iMacs and 2011 macbooks aren't that great but usable but the 2006-8 macbooks (75% of the computers we have)...30mins battery lives, takes 10 mins to turn on then takes another 10 mins to log in...(so it could have had a 50 mins battery life but yah know...) and around 50% of the laptop's have more than 5 keys missing with the rubber dome ripped off so you can't even really type on them...

On 04/05/2016 at 2:36 PM, MrLigugu said:

Ok, this might be a few steps long.

1- IF the school uses fixed IP on computers, copy the IP from the machine you're going to remove the cable from.
   1.1- If it uses DHCP (Automagically Assigned IP) open CMD and type "ipconfig" and copy the IPv4 address.

2- Go to the router and under WAN setup, select Static IP, and put the IP from the computer you removed the cable from as the "internet source"

3- Enable DHCP for the network, by doing so, You'll be sort of creating your own sub network with enough IP's for everyone to connect to.

4- Remove the cable from the computer at school and put it in the WAN port of the router.

There are a few routers that don't support this kind of features properly. If you could tell us the model, that would be great. 

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

On 5/4/2016 at 2:36 PM, MrLigugu said:

I had the same issue , the only way around it so to setup a PC with some sort of sharing software , it will trick the system , that way it sees a PC not a router ,