Sleeving PSU Cables Problem

Hi there, so i want to try sleeving my power supply cables. I have a modular power supply from Silverstone. I noticed that if i was to try to sleeve my PCI-E Cables, they have these large bulges within their heatshrink. Upon further inspection and testing on an unused cable, it looks like a battery is attached to two of the individual cables. This obviously poses a problem for sleeving the individual cables. My question is do I need this battery-like thing attached for it to work? Or can i remove it to move on with sleeving the rest of my cables. Thank you.

uh, what battery??

resistor? capacitor?

post a pic

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Mandrews277 said:

Hi there, so i want to try sleeving my power supply cables. I have a modular power supply from Silverstone. I noticed that if i was to try to sleeve my PCI-E Cables, they have these large bulges within their heatshrink. Upon further inspection and testing on an unused cable, it looks like a battery is attached to two of the individual cables. This obviously poses a problem for sleeving the individual cables. My question is do I need this battery-like thing attached for it to work? Or can i remove it to move on with sleeving the rest of my cables. Thank you.

They aren't batteries, they are capacitors which are used to smooth out the DC output creating a more stable voltage. Technically it should work without them but keeping them would provide the best quality voltage that the PSU will be able to provide.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

battery? o.O 

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

They aren't batteries, they are capacitors which are used to smooth out the DC output creating a more stable voltage. Technically it should work without them but keeping them would provide the best quality voltage that the PSU will be able to provide.

so should i take them off? I never see any other sleeved cables with them.

3 minutes ago, Mandrews277 said:

so should i take them off? I never see any other sleeved cables with them.

They are capacitors which improve ripple and efficiency. They aren't needed for practical use but let the companies get better reviews and pass higher standards.

When you do your custom cables you just ignore them and wire as if they didn't exist.

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=10&family=Power+Supplies&chipset=+Power+Supply+Cable+Set+(Individually+Sleeved)

EVGA sells kits for those power supplies without capacitors so clearly they aren't actually needed.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Thanks man! i appreciate it! and dont worry. i wont come looking for you if it doesn't work. Thank you to everyone else! i really appreciate it!