Difference between Corsair RM100i and RM1000x?

Beeeyeee
Go to solution Solved by tk421,

IIRC, the i at the end of their PSUs and AIO coolers means that it features their Corsair Link Software for system management.

on the Corsair website I can't tell the difference. specifically looking at the 1000w versions.

IIRC, the i at the end of their PSUs and AIO coolers means that it features their Corsair Link Software for system management.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

RM1000i supports corsair link which basically lets you see power drawl, other than that internals are the same. 

6 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

on the Corsair website I can't tell the difference. specifically looking at the 1000w versions.

They are based on the same internal platform; however, the RMx lacks Corsair Link, the ability to switch between single rail and multi-rail, a fan test button, and it uses a rifle bearing fan instead of a FDB fan.

That awkward moment when the OG RM1000 had Corsair Link to begin with.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

That awkward moment when the OG RM1000 had Corsair Link to begin with.

Well, you need to buy an external dongle for it, as well as it offer a more limited control over the PSU in comparison to the RMi (the RM only allow to monitor the 12V current and fan speed, IIRC).

9 minutes ago, tk421 said:

Some power supplies (AX vs AXi) also have digital components (voltage regulation for example).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

48 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

The RMx has a rifle bearing fan while the RMi has a fluid dynamic bearing fan. The RMi has support for Corsair Link while the x does not. The x cannot switch rail operation and is overall not as good a deal, IMO, as the RMi.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The RMx has a rifle bearing fan while the RMi has a fluid dynamic bearing fan. The RMi has support for Corsair Link while the x does not. The x cannot switch rail operation and is overall not as good a deal, IMO, as the RMi.

It is considerably cheaper in some markets and jonnyguru gave it a 10/10, so IMO it is an equally good deal. But I'm pretty sure you know your stuff about PSUs way more than I do.

5 minutes ago, Dinkleberg said:

It is considerably cheaper in some markets and jonnyguru gave it a 10/10, so IMO it is an equally good deal. But I'm pretty sure you know your stuff about PSUs way more than I do.

It's on OK deal but the EVGA GS/GQ/G2 are better value. The jump to the RMi makes more sense to me.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's on OK deal but the EVGA GS/GQ/G2 are better value. The jump to the RMi makes more sense to me.

I'm derailing this a bit off-topic but if I can get an RMx for like 5 euros cheaper than a G2 should I go for it or get the G2? (I'm reluctant to get the GQ because it's semi-modular and the GS because it has a 120mm fan and I don't want it to heat up)

3 minutes ago, Dinkleberg said:

I'm derailing this a bit off-topic but if I can get an RMx for like 5 euros cheaper than a G2 should I go for it or get the G2? (I'm reluctant to get the GQ because it's semi-modular and the GS because it has a 120mm fan and I don't want it to heat up)

The GQ's semi modular design is actually better for 99% of people because the only non-removable cable is the 24-pin. Because of this, the 24-pin is placed as close as possible to the motherboard tray of your chassis, making cable management easier.

I personally use an EVGA 550GS in my own system and it doesn't get hot. 120MM is plenty to keep it cool, don't worry about that.

If the GS or GQ are cheaper than the G2 or RMx then grab either of them.