First Workstation Build

Hi there, working on my first build which will be a workstation! Mostly using 3D programs like Maya and Zbrush, as well as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and some Aftereffects.

My budget is $1000-$1500 so I'm not trying to get too crazy, just something reliable that will render relatively fast.

PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Xeon E-2609 V2 Quad Core 2.5GHz (Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GPU: Nvidia K1200 (Amazon)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I'm also very new to building and PC parts in general so if you have any suggestions or see that I missed anything feel free to let me know! Please help!

4 minutes ago, Duranvolt said:

Hi there, working on my first build which will be a workstation! Mostly using 3D programs like Maya and Zbrush, as well as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and some Aftereffects.

My budget is $1000-$1500 so I'm not trying to get too crazy, just something reliable that will render relatively fast.

PCPartPicker

I'm also very new to building and PC parts in general so if you have any suggestions or see that I missed anything feel free to let me know! Please help!

ts a good build but I would change the power supply to an AX or RMI. the CX ones aren't the best.

14 minutes ago, Murican said:

ts a good build but I would change the power supply to an AX or RMI. the CX ones aren't the best.

Agreed on with the power supply. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, Duranvolt said:

PCPartPicker

You have a major problem here. That motherboard and CPU are not compatible. The socket types must match and that CPU is a  2011 socket and the motherboard is 1151. If you want to keep this processor you'll need a X99 chipset motherboard. Or you'll need a LGA 1151 socket CPU like an i7-6700k in order to keep the motherboard.

For rendering IMO I would choose an i7 for the hyperthreading to help cut down on the render times and help multitasking.

Since you're using working station cpu it also won't be coming with a cpu cooler and you'll need to invest in one of those so you won't fry your system.

You may want to consider changing the power supply since to a more dependable one since you're going to have some major hardware load on it. You may also want to consider getting more RAM than 16GB depending on the size of the work you will be doing with 3D programs.

Lastly a single 500GB is not going to get you very far for storing raw videos and photos. It will be great to work from it while using the program but you should definitely look into mass storage like a couple terabytes mechanical drive.

I'll post another reply with a revised parts list and see what you think. if you have any questions feel free to fire away. 

Here is part list link. I understand it is pricey but it is rather top line and within your specified budget. This PC will do the task at hand and more for long time to come. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P6dpxr

If you it's too much cost wise or you don't think you'll need this type of performance there are changes that can be easily made to accommodate.

*Side note* I also don't care for the case much. It looks nice, but the air flow is lacking. This is no major issue technically but I wanted you to be aware.

@MichaelGavel - oh wow thank you so much! I'll take a look but it seems like it's everything I'd want! I don't really care about what the case looks like, I just picked that one because it had a lot of good reviews haha

On 5/3/2016 at 2:48 PM, Duranvolt said:

Should go X99

and potentially with firepro unless you really need CUDA, seems to generally be better for the money, plus OpenCL being open means it's adopted by more programs

Also are you doing any gaming? because you can't really game on a workstation GPU, your best bet otherwise would probably be a 390 for the 8gbs of VRAM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P8GvwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P8GvwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: AMD FirePro W5100 4GB Video Card  ($323.99 @ B&H)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1205.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-04 23:25 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

@Streetguru - nah not going to be doing much gaming on it. might throw on starcraft and maybe some steam games but primarily for 3D work and rendering. Thanks for the build though! I'll take a look and see