Unable to save edited post on mobile

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

This bug has now been fixed on this site.

Browser im running is chrome, though have also confirmed on opera, and the oem browser. 

running andriod 5.0.1, on an Lg G3

When editing a post that Ive made, and i click on save the element register the click, changing color, but nothing afterwards happens. reloading does nothing, attemping a shift-select by holding brings up no context menu. As opposed to the double posting bug where it appears you have not posted, but did, the changes are never applied. 

note, it doesnt happen 100% of the time, but it does happen more often than not. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

That's weird - I can't reproduce that on my phone (Android 6.0, Chrome). Is it still happening? If so, can you open the site in Chrome, then follow this guide up to just before "Debugging Web Views". In the debugging tools that open, switch to the console tab, then try to reproduce the issue on your phone. Hopefully, some errors will be logged to the console - can you screenshot it and post here.

HTTP/2 203

5 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

That's weird - I can't reproduce that on my phone (Android 6.0, Chrome). Is it still happening? If so, can you open the site in Chrome, then follow this guide up to just before "Debugging Web Views". In the debugging tools that open, switch to the console tab, then try to reproduce the issue on your phone. Hopefully, some errors will be logged to the console - can you screenshot it and post here.

Alright, as soon as I get back from work I'll give it a shot.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Same been happening for me ever since the new forum, when editing posts on my tablet, the save button doesn't work. Usually happens when something is embedded in the post.

Linus is my fetish.

i have had this issue for the longest time and poster here about it too, its super annoying 

21 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Can someone who is able to reproduce it go to http://www.whatsmybrowser.org/ - I have a hunch, but I need information about your viewport dimensions to be able to test it.

chrome 50

android 6

320*569 screen size

320*441 browser window

(makes no sense it is 720p)

I remember posting about this back in January

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Nope, either there are multiple issues or my hunch was wrong.

2 hours ago, thekeemo said:

(makes no sense it is 720p)

The screen has a high pixel density, so one logical pixel is served by four physical pixels (a 2x2 square).

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

Nope, either there are multiple issues or my hunch was wrong.

The screen has a high pixel density, so one logical pixel is served by four physical pixels (a 2x2 square).

Ah scaling. Makes sense.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Chrome 47 (Haven't updated yet to the latest version)

Andriod 5.0.1

Browser Size 598x335

Screen size 640x360 (Retina)

Also in attempting to run debugging with usb, I can't seem to find my device through chrome. Followed all the steps up through to selecting my device on the chrome window, but chrome just never finds it.

Any fix for this? I keep getting this bug and it's the most annoying thing, I had to close Google chrome 6 times and then it finally let my edit save

1 hour ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Any fix for this? I keep getting this bug and it's the most annoying thing, I had to close Google chrome 6 times and then it finally let my edit save

Can you try 

On 11/05/2016 at 1:33 PM, colonel_mortis said:

I can't reproduce it myself. 

Edited by colonel_mortis
Editing on my nexus 5 using chrome

HTTP/2 203

7 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Can you try 

I can't reproduce it myself. 

Does that work on Apple devices? Because that's what I'm using.

Just now, GreezyJeezy said:

Does that work on Apple devices? Because that's what I'm using.

Ah. No, it doesn't.

Does it also happen in safari?

HTTP/2 203

4 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Ah. No, it doesn't.

Does it also happen in safari?

It's only in chrome. But I only use chrome xD 

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

It's only in chrome. But I only use chrome xD 

That's really weird. Are you having exactly the same issues as the OP - when you tap save, the button changes colour, but nothing ends up happening? If so, how long are you leaving it? Even when simulating modem speeds, it still only takes about a second for me to edit my post, but not leaving it long enough has been the issue in the past, so that could be it.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

That's really weird. Are you having exactly the same issues as the OP - when you tap save, the button changes colour, but nothing ends up happening? If so, how long are you leaving it? Even when simulating modem speeds, it still only takes about a second for me to edit my post, but not leaving it long enough has been the issue in the past, so that could be it.

It turns the darker orange color and that's it. It still says save, you know if it works because it will say saving...

but it it just says save. It doesn't matter if I click it right away or wait 5 min it just is random when it decides to actually save

55 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

It turns the darker orange color and that's it. It still says save, you know if it works because it will say saving...

but it it just says save. It doesn't matter if I click it right away or wait 5 min it just is random when it decides to actually save

Ah ok, that makes sense. Is this just editing posts, just editing topics (aka the OP), or both?

Also, are you able to reproduce it if you don't type anything into the editor at all, and just tap save?

HTTP/2 203

15 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Ah ok, that makes sense. Is this just editing posts, just editing topics (aka the OP), or both?

Also, are you able to reproduce it if you don't type anything into the editor at all, and just tap save?

When I put no text in it let me save everytime, I added one period and it didn't let me. And it's only with a reply. the topic saves everytime with edits made to it

Been reporting this one since the new forum. I can save edits to an OP with zero issues but if it's a reply it's hit and miss, works very occasionally but most of the time it doesn't. It seems to be related to the number of replies the thread has had, fewer than 5 replies and my edits work but once the count goes over 5 editing just stops working entirely. Like others are reporting, if I edit then save without changing anything it works but as soon as I make a change I'm unable to save it, button flashes but does nothing. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@colonel_mortisI'm in the process of trying the usb debug thing right now, will post back the results when i am finished.

Test edit

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

test post

Test edit

So I can still edit my posts in here despite there being lots of posts in the thread and pictures embedded. I am struggling to find a reason why this issue is happening?

Also whatsmybrowser.org/b/TFN015D

Thanks, that looks like it should be everything I need. 

Just to rule out anything else, can you try clearing your cache (settings > privacy > clear browsing data (cache, from the beginning of time) and see whether you can reproduce it? 

HTTP/2 203