can a mamanged switch act as Router?

Bacon8tor
4 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

Yeah sorry, idk. I I'm not an electronics guy. I just know that the Lite and the LR use 24v "passive" PoE and that it's non-standard bullshit that may be difficult to find locally.

8 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Yeah sorry, idk. I I'm not an electronics guy. I just know that the Lite and the LR use 24v "passive" PoE and that it's non-standard bullshit that may be difficult to find locally.

ok looking at this ubiquit switch its a 24v 60w  -  http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-0XP-000A-00002&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Switches-_-9B-0XP-000A-00002&gclid=CjwKEAjw3qu5BRC-0uCw8O6Y5zcSJAA_WtdLijB9OriY1QIKB7t2-SoIByDnrHqcBCOTJm_yymZ3rBoC2p3w_wcB

it only puts out 11.5 watts per port 

http://www.frys.com/product/6686404?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

this has the same 24v but 68w 

and can deliver upto 30Watts per port 

again I am assuming that this should deliver enough power 

@Windspeed36  maybe you can help since you sell this all the time 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

1 minute ago, Bacon8tor said:

Yeah this is officially where I don't know, sorry. I'm going to follow so I know for the future.

20 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Yeah this is officially where I don't know, sorry. I'm going to follow so I know for the future.

well Finding one locally that 100% will work is a no go. so I opted for this http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-24v60w-Ethernet-Injector-Ubiquiti-Mikrotik/dp/B007TQAZGM

and he will have to wait till tomorrow. worst comes to worse, I have one unifi access point at work hat i can take the PoE adapter from and then they have on ubiquit access point at the house already so that gives me 2 to work with and I have the router that I purchased so worst comes to worst so that I can get some of his stuff working is set the router up using its wifi then set up 2 accesspoints at the furthest points or closest to what needs connectivity. then when I get the PoE injector set the rest up . 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

4 hours ago, Bacon8tor said:

ok thanks. but like I said I need something local. So basically I need a higher watt per port. they all seem to be 24v but vary watts. 

the manual says it needs a "24v .5A Poe "

I really hat eelectricity

4 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

No I don't believe it will, that looks like standard PoE.

http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-24v60w-Ethernet-Injector-Ubiquiti-Mikrotik/dp/B007TQAZGM this SHOULD work. Or a ubiquiti toughswitch. http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-TS-5-POE-TOUGHSwitch-Advanced-Controllers/dp/B00CSRK6DE

@Windspeed36 since you're more knowledgeable with ubiquiti than I am given your job, I just want to confirm: am I correct?

So for the UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-AC-LITE, UAP-AC-LR they use a proprietary version of passive PoE. Passive PoE by default is 100mbit/24v. Ubiquiti do 1000mbit/24v. You'll need to use either a Ubiquiti switch or their included injector. Note the UAP-AC-??-5 - the 5 pack versions DO NOT include injectors.

The UAP-Pro and UAP-AC-Pro both use 802.3af 48V compliant PoE so any good switch will support them. 

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

Have any experience with the 8 port injector I linked?

19 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

So for the UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-AC-LITE, UAP-AC-LR they use a proprietary version of passive PoE. Passive PoE by default is 100mbit/24v. Ubiquiti do 1000mbit/24v. You'll need to use either a Ubiquiti switch or their included injector. Note the UAP-AC-??-5 - the 5 pack versions DO NOT include injectors.

The UAP-Pro and UAP-AC-Pro both use 802.3af 48V compliant PoE so any good switch will support them. 

thanks and yea can you see if this would work, I hope so its ordered 

http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-24v60w-Ethernet-Injector-Ubiquiti-Mikrotik/dp/B007TQAZGM

I bought the UAP-AC-LR-5 

and I used the PoE injector I got with  UAP-AC-PRO  single unit I bought. with is 48v  , 

UPDATED: OK this explains something when I used the PoE injector I got from the access point I already had at work in the Ubiquiti Config the links were showing only 100mb when they shouldhave been showing 1Gb speed ?? is this hte difference between the 

Passive PoE by default is 100mbit/24v. Ubiquiti do 1000mbit/24v.

if so that injector I purchased is going to bottle neck the Fuck out of this network . 

holy shit I am confused as hell with all this voltages and what not. 

57 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Have any experience with the 8 port injector I linked?

Nah - never used those sorts of things. Either manufactuer POE injectors or the switches to suit.

49 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

holy shit I am confused as hell with all this voltages and what not. 

It's not too bad - if you're using a 24V Ubiquiti device, use a Ubiquiti switch OR a Ubiquiti injector. If you're using an 802.3af AP, use whatever 48V compliant gear you have.

17 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

He's got LR's, so stuck with 24V. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the 5 pack doesn't come with PoE injectors, most people buying 5 of those aps will usually have a toughswitch. 

16 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Nah - never used those sorts of things. Either manufactuer POE injectors or the switches to suit.

It's not too bad - if you're using a 24V Ubiquiti device, use a Ubiquiti switch OR a Ubiquiti injector. If you're using an 802.3af AP, use whatever 48V compliant gear you have.

well I am going to try it. even if it works for themean time then I can get a Ubiquiti switch maybe shipped from austraila ( ;) @Windspeed36  ) .  and replace it later. 

1 hour ago, Bacon8tor said:

well I am going to try it. even if it works for themean time then I can get a Ubiquiti switch maybe shipped from austraila ( ;) @Windspeed36  ) .  and replace it later. 

Well I do have a spare ToughSwitch lying around..

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:

Well I do have a spare ToughSwitch lying around..

hmmmm .. I might be interested in that. Since its for the owner May be able to use our UPS account for shipping. 

is it the 5 port or 8 port??

On 5/4/2016 at 8:27 AM, Windspeed36 said:

I work as an account manager and presales for networking & server at the largest Ubiquiti reseller in Australia and we quite often get calls for people either returning ER's or requesting a technican to set them up. 

wanna come to my office and buy me beer? Sell me ubnt gear?

On 4 May 2016 at 3:50 PM, Windspeed36 said:

Unless you're experienced with networking, Edgerouters are a bad idea to buy. 

At this point there even are wizards to set up basic networking and internet access. Most of the more advanced gui features take a couple of hours to learn. Going really advanced with cli and ssh is like a day. These things are not hard to set up.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

10 hours ago, Bacon8tor said:

hmmmm .. I might be interested in that. Since its for the owner May be able to use our UPS account for shipping. 

is it the 5 port or 8 port??

If you're really willing to try out something different I have a Meraki switch I'd be willing to trade for a 6900K :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you're really willing to try out something different I have a Meraki switch I'd be willing to trade for a 6900K :D

sure let me just go in my pile of CPU's ....lol I wish I just had 6900k's lying around lol 

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Think I'd prefer the CPU over the Meraki - hate those things with a passion. Got an MR34 and MR18 as paper weights at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Think I'd prefer the CPU over the Meraki - hate those things with a passion. Got an MR34 and MR18 as paper weights at the moment.

The switches are pretty good but the biggest drawback for me is the lack of native IPv6 support right now. The APs that I've used aren't terrible but the range could be much better imo.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@Windspeed36   what would you want for the toughswitch? 

59 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Heh I like their AP's, regardless of the licensing, their firewalls are alright too. But holy shit their switches are bad, imo.

I assume because of licences? If so, you can flash the mr18 to a version of openwrt. https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/meraki/mr18

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Toughswitch-8-Port-TS-8-PRO/dp/B00HXT8QSO/ref=sr_1_3?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1462547897&sr=8-3&keywords=Ubiquiti+toughswitch

so I couldnt wait , I went ahead and bought a 8 port tough switch from amazon , even tough I only need 5 ports with the PoE I am taking no chances in the rare case that I need to add more APs .  

12 hours ago, Centurius said:

At this point there even are wizards to set up basic networking and internet access. Most of the more advanced gui features take a couple of hours to learn. Going really advanced with cli and ssh is like a day. These things are not hard to set up.

For you perhaps, but for the average 13 year old wannabe-minecraft-youtuber that can't figure out portforwarding on a router that has 3 boxes you need to fill, you can't expect them to learn this. Then they come here and complain because they couldn't set it up.

Comb it with a brick

9 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Heh I like their AP's, regardless of the licensing, their firewalls are alright too. But holy shit their switches are bad, imo.

It's terribly overpriced for what it is unless you need the payment or social media gateway feature. Plenty of other manufacturers have unified control solutions. Also up until recently if you lost internet connectivity, the AP's shutdown. Can't recall if they've patched that yet but one of their BDM's said they were working on it 

Also their stock availability is shit - it's all provisioned in the US with a 1 week lead time to Aus - no local stock can be kept due to their solution design. 

8 hours ago, legopc said:

I assume because of licences? If so, you can flash the mr18 to a version of openwrt. https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/meraki/mr18

See above. 

10 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

I'll take the paperweights :)

Comb it with a brick