best software for making a bootable drive

i want to put freenas on a old pc so i can play around with it but i dont really know of any good software to make bootable drives 

22 minutes ago, MalaySausage said:

i want to put freenas on a old pc so i can play around with it but i dont really know of any good software to make bootable drives 

I have used Rufus in the past to create a bootable USB drive.  However, to create bootable cd's and dvd's, I have used WinIso in the past with much success.

You have been Spfinated!

Rufus is not bad at all. Universal USB Installer (no matter how sketchy the name sounds) is also quite nice. If you run Linux you can also use the "dd" bash command.

Maybe Lili USB Creator, UNetBootin or the Startup-Disk-Creator in many Linux distros is something fory your needs? The last one of course only works, if you already do have a Linux machine running this software. On Windows I had good experiences with the other two programs.

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

Rufus rule'z! ;) Never failed me, with continuous development and updates. Rock solid for Windows and Linux ISO's. 

Just to add - Easy2boot is amazing for multi-loading a lot of bootable ISOs. Takes a little bit to set it up, but once you're done you pretty much just drag and drop ISOs. Windows ISOs requires you to convert them to ptna but there's a guide for that.

DISKPART which is part of Windows

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124.aspx

Once bootable, you just extract the ISO onto the USB drive

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 3.5.2016 at 10:11 PM, Jarsky said:

DISKPART which is part of Windows

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124.aspx

Once bootable, you just extract the ISO onto the USB drive

Diskpart all the way :D

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.