4GB of RAM enough?

So Im building a computer for my brother and Im debating whether to stay with my LGA775 Mobo or to just buy everything instead.

If I buy basiclly a 'new computer' it will be quite a bit of money more ($100-150 more)

So i was wondering if you could record videos and play games (like minecraft, league of legends, battlefield, etc.) on 4GB of RAM? or should I upgrade so I can get him 8GB of RAM

4 minutes ago, AsianvsWhite said:

So Im building a computer for my brother and Im debating whether to stay with my LGA775 Mobo or to just buy everything instead.

If I buy basiclly a 'new computer' it will be quite a bit of money more ($100-150 more)

So i was wondering if you could record videos and play games (like minecraft, league of legends, battlefield, etc.) on 4GB of RAM? or should I upgrade so I can get him 8GB of RAM

Send me a PCPartPicker list and let me have a look.

In general, NEVER USE ANYTHING LOWER THAN LGA 1150. Anything below that is bound to be terrible. How old is your computer.

To be honest, I would rather send $200 extra on a new PC than on a LGA775 system

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

I would go with 8 minimally for gaming, recommended 16 since its so cheap. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

i record and edit videos and I have 16GB and its not enough IMO

you will barely be able to do anything with 4

minimum is 8 these days

5 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Send me a PCPartPicker list and let me have a look.

In general, NEVER USE ANYTHING LOWER THAN LGA 1150. Anything below that is bound to be terrible. How old is your computer.

To be honest, I would rather send $200 extra on a new PC than on a LGA775 system

1155 is still alright

2500k and 2600k kick ass

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you plan on launching a game I would highly recommend 8gb at least. If you wanna get fancy you can do 12, but 16 is a good bang for the buck. 

4 GB is just fine for office work.  If you are doing anything more, especially playing minecraft, I'd go 8.   Especially since RAM is pretty cheap compared to most other parts anyway.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Get one 8 GB stick, you'll be really glad. 4 GB may seem enough for very light gaming and web browsing, but nothing more than that. Usually if you have less RAM available, your system will hit the pagefile which will drastically slow down performance and definitely introduce stutters and freezes. Just to give you some perspective, GTA V at 1080p eats up around 6 GB of RAM.

depends what you're using it for

you can always set up a larger page file

or http://downloadmoreram.com

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I have used 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8gb of ram in my current system. I am able to play all games with 4gb and above, and there is no bottleneck in the games I play above 6gb at 1080p on ultra settings (I don't have The Division/Hitman/FO4, so can't speak for those)

19 minutes ago, ShaolinBear said:

I have used 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8gb of ram in my current system. I am able to play all games with 4gb and above, and there is no bottleneck in the games I play above 6gb at 1080p on ultra settings (I don't have The Division/Hitman/FO4, so can't speak for those)

How did you get 5 GB of RAM?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How did you get 5 GB of RAM?

I have 6 2gb sticks and 2 1gb sticks of DDR2, so 2-2-1. Trying to diagnose which DIMM the memory errors were coming from.

4 Gigs of RAM is generally "enough" to run most games, but it can be tight and require some swap file usage, etc.

8 Gigs is better and gives you the extra RAM space to run things like a browser and VoIP app while you game.

If you are going to upgrade the old LGA775 to a newer LGA1150/1151 it makes sense to get 8Gigs, considering the relatively small extra cost.

If you are sticking to the LGA775, it would seem like putting lipstick on a pig to add more RAM, especially since you can no longer rely on carrying over DDR3 to a new build (which would probably require DDR4 in a few years).

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

10 hours ago, ShaolinBear said:

I have 6 2gb sticks and 2 1gb sticks of DDR2, so 2-2-1. Trying to diagnose which DIMM the memory errors were coming from.

Maybe the memory errors were coming from such a weird memory setup :P

/jk