Oculus Rift to be Sold in Best Buy, Amazon, and Microsoft by May 7th

27 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Can't you go and buy it at BestBuy or Microsoft Store, come back home, and cancel your pre-order?

Anyway, this is not new, and it all highlights the many problem of pre-order. I never pre-order anything, as you pay for a promise, with lots of hype, and not the product itself which you can determine if it is worth it or not.

Problem is the nearest Best Buy is 5 hours of driving away... Plus, I've heard many decent things about oculus already when I placed the preorder. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

39 minutes ago, Atmos said:

thats kind of shitty. though...  i suspect they are having trouble with preorders because the retailers bought up as many as they could before preorders went public. 

Eitherway imma still wait for vr, both of my rigs are ready, but i just dont have the cash atm, and i still have my gen 1 rift dk1 from the original crowd funding. It screen doors like a bitch, makes you nausious to use, and tracks like shit, but hey, its w/e

Did you Kickstart the DK1? (Funded $300 or whatever it was)

You could have gotten a free CV1

4 hours ago, christianled59 said:

Preordering in this case is different than a video game. There has been plenty of reviews and I needed mine asap for game development. Besides, the preorder comes with like $80 of free VR games. 

nope! you pre ordered you got shafted i see no diferance

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 hour ago, Sky Daddy said:

Did you Kickstart the DK1? (Funded $300 or whatever it was)

You could have gotten a free CV1

Wait

what?!

Did I miss something?!?!

>.> I gotta research this, I never heard anything!

And if you couldn't guess from that, yes I was one of the original dk1 backers and got one from their second batch back a few years ago.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

4 hours ago, Atmos said:

Wait

what?!

Did I miss something?!?!

And if you couldn't guess from that, yes I was one of the original dk1 backers and got one from their second batch back a few years ago.

Yeah. Everyone who got dk1 gets a free cv1.

18 minutes ago, Rune said:

Yeah. Everyone who got dk1 gets a free cv1.

>.>

This is news to me... Was it automatic? I've moved since I got my dk1, and i've not gotten any notifications, nor do I even remember the conditions of the original backing

EDIT: .........................................................................

I missed the news, there was a survey back a handful of months ago.................. submission date was February first......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

God damnit

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

7 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

nope! you pre ordered you got shafted i see no diferance

Enjoy your ignorance. 

Technically its not a preorder if  you buy after its release. I ordered April 19th, it's just still called a preorder on the site. ;)

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

8 hours ago, Atmos said:

Wait

what?!

Did I miss something?!?!

Yah, you should have gotten an email around February and filled out a survey.

I believe that ship has sailed though.

15 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Yeah not if you buy now, but that's not really relevant to the discussion about preorders. And many preorderers will be able to test it first, in the US at least. I mean lots of people who ordered on day one still dont have their Rift, so just imagine the people who put their order through the rest of January, February, and March. They would be able to check it out IRL and then cancel (if necessary) before they get their Rift in July-August.

I agree with pre-orders, you are right. If I was one of them I would probably have my one cancelled by now and would not look back to VR until next gen comes out. It is a first wave and it is to be expected. Still, the whole glamour and excitement is fading every day, never mind week, month...

16 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

And because it's looking like it's a purely superior product.

That's ridiculous. There are pros and cons to both of them, and the pros on the Rift side are significant.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

That's ridiculous. There are pros and cons to both of them, and the pros on the Rift side are significant.

That's true - the resolution, for one, is better on the Rift, is it not? Once the Rift gets touch controls, it'll be very similar to the Vive - though the Rift still doesn't have room tracking, no?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That's true - the resolution, for one, is better on the Rift, is it not? Once the Rift gets touch controls, it'll be very similar to the Vive - though the Rift still doesn't have room tracking, no?

Actually the resolution is exactly the same. I believe they even use the same panels.

The Rift is lighter and more comfortable to wear, and has built-in audio, which is a bigger convenience factor than people realize.

The Rift can do room tracking, though even in the long run the Vive is probably still better there (and more convenient to run cables for). Of course right now, the Rift has only one tracking sensor and no motion controllers, where the Vive comes with two tracking stations (well, the tracking is actually the other way around, but whatever) and motion controllers.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Both 2160x1200 90Hz OLED's.

Good to know - I thought at one point the Rift still had the resolution advantage. Apparently not with the release versions :)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Good to know - I thought at one point the Rift still had the resolution advantage. Apparently not with the release versions :)

Yeah. It wouldn't surprise me if they're literally the same panels.

I'm still not touching VR for a few more generations. Early adoption usually kills my love of products.

I feel like its necessary to mention that they claim here https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculus-rift-retail-experience-kicks-off-at-best-buy-locations-may-7/

that you can get one retail, cancel your pre-order, and still get the extra stuff if you can manage to get one from a retailer to begin with (in stock will be the big question)

I just want to point out this is Best Buy in the US, don't expect the Rift in Canada for quite some time

On 5/4/2016 at 6:16 AM, Sakkura said:

I'm about 99% confident they're almost entirely identical. The only difference is the lenses, and the Vive has better room scale support.

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

I'm about 99% confident they're almost entirely identical. The only difference is the lenses, and the Vive has better room scale support.

Well that's nonsense. The Vive has soft straps, the Rift has hard straps. The Vive has a 3.5mm jack for earbuds or headphones, the Rift has built in headphones. The Rift weighs less and is more comfortable. The Vive blocks out ambient light better. The Rift has access to asynchronous timewarp. And the list of differences goes on. 

On 04/05/2016 at 2:42 PM, dalekphalm said:

Its getting it, it won't be as capable as the Vive though. Its basically one or two sensors which allow you to stand up and move around a little bit.

Vive still has the front camera though, I doubt we'll see that on Rift till V2.0, if at all. Also I'm expecting the sensor add-on for the Rift to be sold as an extra meaning it will bump up the cost even more.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 7.5.2016 at 3:04 PM, Master Disaster said:

Its getting it, it won't be as capable as the Vive though. Its basically one or two sensors which allow you to stand up and move around a little bit.

Vive still has the front camera though, I doubt we'll see that on Rift till V2.0, if at all. Also I'm expecting the sensor add-on for the Rift to be sold as an extra meaning it will bump up the cost even more.

actually, the Oculus cameras FOV is quite big, so it is technically possible to do full roomscale with it. 

A secound camera will most likely be in the package for the touch controllers, as you need one to not loose track of the controllers when turning 360 degrees.

I also believe that a camera extra isnt that expensive.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, Xorbot said:

typo.png

oh, thanks I guess, even if it was copied from another site, so it wasnt me that "wrote" it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking