What is a good headphones for gaming?

aneil1998

I'm currently in the market for a headphones for gaming and I would like some suggestions. I'm currently aiming towards the HyperX Cloud II or a Audio Technica M40x or M50x.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Any good headphone is good for gaming?

Is a mic necessary? I notice you are considering both a headset and a couple headphones.

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

Any good headphone is good for gaming?

Is a mic necessary? I notice you are considering both a headset and a couple headphones.

A mic is optional, as i plan on buying a proper one later down the road.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

I suggest an open back design for a much wider sound stage to help with audio awareness.

17 minutes ago, aneil1998 said:

I'm currently in the market for a headphones for gaming and I would like some suggestions. I'm currently aiming towards the HyperX Cloud II or a Audio Technica M40x or M50x.

Hyper Cloud 2 is pretty good. i would pay another $100 for mine probably

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Hello. I have a pair of Logitech G230s and while the audio performance is good, the headband gets really irritating after a short while of usage. Does anyone have experience with this headset or a possible solution short of replacement. I am looking in to the HyperX Cloud myself but I can't figure out whether the Cloud II is worth the cost if I can just use the normal pair and Razer Surround.

HD8 DJ is a good place to start.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

2 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

HD8 DJ is a good place to start.

That is completely out of my price range.

$300 is a bit steep. I already have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones. I'm just looking for a comfortable headset and trying to answer this surround sound question. 

Just now, aneil1998 said:

That is completely out of my price range.

Then the M40x, its basically my m50x but a little cheaper feeling. Some people think they get too much hype, but I personally love the Audio-Technica sound signature. They also have a pretty good sounstage for closed headphones.

7 minutes ago, TeamPlayer22 said:

Hello. I have a pair of Logitech G230s and while the audio performance is good, the headband gets really irritating after a short while of usage. Does anyone have experience with this headset or a possible solution short of replacement. I am looking in to the HyperX Cloud myself but I can't figure out whether the Cloud II is worth the cost if I can just use the normal pair and Razer Surround.

1 minute ago, TeamPlayer22 said:

$300 is a bit steep. I already have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones. I'm just looking for a comfortable headset and trying to answer this surround sound question. 

Surround is basically a non-issue. Software surround is the same whether it's in headphone, or in the PC. There's still only 2 drivers no matter what.

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

Surround is basically a non-issue. Software surround is the same whether it's in headphone, or in the PC. There's still only 2 drivers no matter what.

So some sound cards say they come with 7.1 Dolby virtual surround as well as true surround. Does this just mean they will grant you access to some proprietary virtual surround software as compared to Razer's free software? Will a sound card really give better virtual surround or is Razer Surround the best free option. I know games are incorporating surround into the game but I can definitely tell the difference when the Surround is turned on.

3 minutes ago, TeamPlayer22 said:

So some sound cards say they come with 7.1 Dolby virtual surround as well as true surround. Does this just mean they will grant you access to some proprietary virtual surround software as compared to Razer's free software? Will a sound card really give better virtual surround or is Razer Surround the best free option. I know games are incorporating surround into the game but I can definitely tell the difference when the Surround is turned on.

Yeah so the Dolby surround uses Dolby's own technique for simulating surround. I'd suggest just using the Razer Surround, as it's free. Most games will simulate surround just by selecting "headphone" mode for the audio output.

28 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Then the M40x, its basically my m50x but a little cheaper feeling. Some people think they get too much hype, but I personally love the Audio-Technica sound signature. They also have a pretty good sounstage for closed headphones.

No... They have next to no soundstage especially compared to other closed headphones in the price range.... If you enjoy the M40 or M50 that is fine, but they are possibly the worst recommendations for anyone wanting to game with, ESPECIALLY for FPS titles where positioning is important.

OP needs to check out options such as the Creative Aurvana Live! or NVX XPT100 (the XPT100 is extremely comfy too, unlike the M50 which you need to replace with decent pads) if he wants closed options. If he wants headset, not the Cloud 2, but the Cloud or Cloud Core is what he needs to look at, if he wants open back goodness he needs to check out sets like the Sennheiser HD558 or Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.

These are just some of many good suggestions, and if he wants to go Audio Technica the Art line is good for soundstage, unlike the M lineup, such as the A700X/AD700X/A900X/AD900X.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

I have an Asus M4A79XTD Evo motherboard. Will it be enough to drive the Cloud/II? I've heard the 60 Ohm can be a bit much for older motherboards.

Will a sound card help at all with virtual surround?

what about the 25USD Sentey Symph GS-4531, they have 7.1 digital audio

7 hours ago, sobe said:

No... They have next to no soundstage especially compared to other closed headphones in the price range.... If you enjoy the M40 or M50 that is fine, but they are possibly the worst recommendations for anyone wanting to game with, ESPECIALLY for FPS titles where positioning is important.

OP needs to check out options such as the Creative Aurvana Live! or NVX XPT100 (the XPT100 is extremely comfy too, unlike the M50 which you need to replace with decent pads) if he wants closed options. If he wants headset, not the Cloud 2, but the Cloud or Cloud Core is what he needs to look at, if he wants open back goodness he needs to check out sets like the Sennheiser HD558 or Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.

These are just some of many good suggestions, and if he wants to go Audio Technica the Art line is good for soundstage, unlike the M lineup, such as the A700X/AD700X/A900X/AD900X.

I would argue the nvx have to much clamping pressure.

7 hours ago, TeamPlayer22 said:

I have an Asus M4A79XTD Evo motherboard. Will it be enough to drive the Cloud/II? I've heard the 60 Ohm can be a bit much for older motherboards.

Will a sound card help at all with virtual surround?

Can you ask your questions in your own thread instead of taking this one?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

11 hours ago, aneil1998 said:

I would go for the HyperX Cloud or Cloud II. The price to performance is hard to beat, and they are said to be very comfortable for long gaming sessions. Many have praised it for its sound quality, but that is a very subjective thing. I'd suggest finding a website that allows returns so you can give them a trial run and see if they suit your needs. Ebay has some good options.

18 minutes ago, TeamPlayer22 said:

I would go for the HyperX Cloud or Cloud II. The price to performance is hard to beat, and they are said to be very comfortable for long gaming sessions. Many have praised it for its sound quality, but that is a very subjective thing. I'd suggest finding a website that allows returns so you can give them a trial run and see if they suit your needs. Ebay has some good options.

sound quality is not subjective, sound signature is subjective.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Sennheiser HD518 usually go for under $70, sometimes you can find them for $50.  They are excellent headphones and are rather comfortable. 

5 hours ago, spwath said:

Can you ask your questions in your own thread instead of taking this one?

Yeah sorry, got a little carried away there.