Best PSU For F@H and Boinc?

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
1 minute ago, Kenji the Uke said:

The end results will be two 760's, 3570k, DH15 Noctua tower  cooler, 8 gigs of ram, and a small ssd, probably around 90 gigs. 

750W should be around the right size for the best efficiency when folding/boincing. For quality (at a decent price), the EVGA G2 and Corsair RMx series are good choices. The P2 or AX series would be better in terms of efficiency, though.

3: Just thought I'd ask. Once I build my new computer, old parts will go to a dedicated PC to doing JUST one of those two, and I was wondering if, since it will essentially always be on, if there is a power supply the community would recommend, or will any do? (I was planning on whatever 750w PSU that was gold-rated, probably EVGA)

Moist

You want one that's the right wattage and has high efficiency. (going too large or too small can impact how efficient the PSU is). 

What are the specs of your system? You'd want to look at the efficiency curves of different PSUs to see which are the most efficient at what percentages. 

EDIT: Good quality goes without saying. For any system running 100% 24/7, you need a good PSU. Going by brand generally isn't a good choice, as most brands have varying quality units. Despite EVGA's good reputation for PSUs, they still have some sub-par, as well as absolute crap units in their lineup. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You want one that's the right wattage and has high efficiency. (going too large or too small can impact how efficient the PSU is). 

What are the specs of your system? You'd want to look at the efficiency curves of different PSUs to see which are the most efficient at what percentages. 

The end results will be two 760's, 3570k, DH15 Noctua tower  cooler, 8 gigs of ram, and a small ssd, probably around 90 gigs. 

Moist

750W should be around the right size for the best efficiency when folding/boincing. For quality (at a decent price), the EVGA G2 and Corsair RMx series are good choices. The P2 or AX series would be better in terms of efficiency, though.

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Hmm.. Thats about 110 dollars 3: I could do the P2 actually, thats pretty good owo Alright! Thank you!

Moist

Hmm.. Thats about 110 dollars 3: I could do the P2 actually, thats pretty good owo Alright! Thank you!

There's the PS series as well, which tends to be a little cheaper (if you can find them in stock). Not quite as good as the P2, but still excellent. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There's the PS series as well, which tends to be a little cheaper (if you can find them in stock). Not quite as good as the P2, but still excellent. 

P2 is fine :3

Moist