Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aexiro

Taking my laptop on a plane

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi there,

I am going on a 6 hour flight this year and I plan to bring my laptop. I have not been on a flight in around 10 years, so I'm not familiar with the current rules. First off, I want to know if I can pack my laptop in my checkpoint-safe carry on, and pack that bag into my carry on duffle bag. Basically, fitting my laptop in its bag inside of my larger bag for other stuff. I don't know if checkpoint will allow this, so if anybody has tried this, could you give me some feedback? Also, I want to know what airlines have Wi-Fi available and if possibly a power outlet so that I can plug my MSI PX-60 in for the 6 hour flight to charge it's hardly 1 hour lasting battery. I would like to keep myself occupied for the length of the flight. I am also concerned that with it being a 15 inch laptop, it may be too big for the trays and/or even my lap? I can't remember how big the trays are. If anybody can provide helpful feedback, that'd be appreciated. 

Much thanks,

Aexiro

Just as a note: I'm flying from the United States within the United States. 

you have to show it to them but its ok

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Aexiro said:

Hi there,

I am going on a 6 hour flight this year and I plan to bring my laptop. I have not been on a flight in around 10 years, so I'm not familiar with the current rules. First off, I want to know if I can pack my laptop in my checkpoint-safe carry on, and pack that bag into my carry on duffle bag. Basically, fitting my laptop in its bag inside of my larger bag for other stuff. I don't know if checkpoint will allow this, so if anybody has tried this, could you give me some feedback? Also, I want to know what airlines have Wi-Fi available and if possibly a power outlet so that I can plug my MSI PX-60 in for the 6 hour flight to charge it's hardly 1 hour lasting battery. I would like to keep myself occupied for the length of the flight. I am also concerned that with it being a 15 inch laptop, it may be too big for the trays and/or even my lap? I can't remember how big the trays are. If anybody can provide helpful feedback, that'd be appreciated. 

Much thanks,

Aexiro

You can go to the airlines website at look at the appropriate size carrier on bag size.  

CPU: i9 7900X  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex |  GPUs: 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  |  RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mhz (CL14)  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  4 x Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0)  |  PSUEVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2

Cooling: Custom Loop  5 x EK 360mm rads  |  2 x EK D5 PWM pumps  |  EK GPU blocks | Aqua Computer Cuplex Kryos NEXT CPU block

Case: Caselabs Mercury S8 w/ Pedestal

CPU: Threadripper 1950x  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme  |  GPU: 3 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  +  2 x EVGA GTX 1080  |  RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mhz (CL14)

Storage:  2 x Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (RAID 0)  |  Samsung 840 Evo SSD  | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1200w

Cooling:  Custom Loop  1 x EK XE 480mm / 1 x EK PE 360mm  |  EK D5 PWM pump  |  EK CPU & GPU blocks 

Case: Caselabs Mercury SM8

Any laptop should be fine, you may just have to take out you electronics when you go through security screening. Plus you may have to switch it off during takeoff

If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Simple. When you arrive at the x-ray scanner thingy place and metal scanner, in the bins you take where you put your shoes, metal objects, wallet, etc...

You put your laptop. If your laptop is in a sleeve of sort, you need to pull it out of there. You can put the sleeve bellow the laptop. You can take several bins if you need room (usually people take 2 bins). One for their bag that they bring on their flight, and shoes, and the other for wallet, laptop, belt, etc.. There is no organization requirement, it is up you.

Keep in mind that you want to be sure that your laptop contains 0 illegal content. If you are randomly selected for search, they may ask you to access your laptop, and go through your stuff in your computer. Charges will be laid if you have movies and illegal content. It usually doesn't happen even if  you are selected for a search, unless they suspect something, but all you need is a agent that is on its bad day. So take no chances. Movies should be in Blu-ray disks or DVDs, or have a copy of purchase in some fashion if it is a digital purchase. Steam games is fine, as you have your proof of purchase in your e-mail, and account info when you login, and so on for every other game on whatever platform even not platform ones.

Not a problem at all. All they make you do it put it in a separate bin when your carry-on goes through the x-ray machine. They may ask you to take the battery out if it is removable. No big deal.

22 minutes ago, Aexiro said:

Hi there,

Much thanks,

Aexiro

Just make sure your laptop isnt in a bag through security. Depending on who your flying with and where your going they will have power onboard. Every plane ive been on in the past few years has wifi but you have to pay for it

My PC: 

CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 4.7Ghz Motherboard: EVGA Z170 FTW RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX GPU 1: EVGA GTX 1060 FTW GPU 2: MSI R9 270X HAWK Case: NZXT H440 Blue Storage: 120GB PNY, 1TB Hitachi Monitor: Asus VC279 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech G602

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Motherboard: Some shit Gigabyte board RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 570 DoubleShot Case: Idk. Some cheap case Storage: 250GB HDD Monitor: Some NEC thing Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Some Microsoft mouse

From my experience, SOME airports are okay with the "Checkpoint Safe" bags. Some are not. At my local airport MSP, it's about 50/50 whether they'll let me leave it in the bag or no. I'd plan on having to take the laptop out of your bag. No big deal, really.

And no, you're not going to be able to set that behemoth on the tray, nor are there power outlets on a plane.

There is no problem taking your laptop, if you dont take it on the box (closed like new) because they can think you are going to sell it, but is only 1 notebook so no problem with that, when you pass the x-ray put the notebook with your electronic/metal things, in airports you can charge it in almost every place, in the plane you can plug your charger, the energy plug is down your sit :) most of the plugs depends on where you are travelling, i have most of them with 3 pin like uk type... like the photo, i had the normal as well that is / \ 3pin

electricity-tiles-type-G-200-px.jpg

14 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Not a problem at all. All they make you do it put it in a separate bin when your carry-on goes through the x-ray machine. They may ask you to take the battery out if it is removable. No big deal.

What if my Windows is pirated?

I mean... My Windows 10 crashed after the free update from Windows 7, and now it won't activate again.

Microsoft wasn't so helpful, and I didn't feel like going through installing my legitimate Windows 7 again only to update it to Windows 10 afterwards, so I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 and activated it using third party tools.

1 minute ago, deWaardt said:

I mean... My Windows 10 crashed after the free update from Windows 7, and now it won't activate again.

Microsoft wasn't so helpful, and I didn't feel like going through installing my legitimate Windows 7 again only to update it to Windows 10 afterwards, so I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 and activated it using third party tools.

WTF?

CPU: i9 7900X  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex |  GPUs: 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  |  RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mhz (CL14)  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  4 x Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0)  |  PSUEVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2

Cooling: Custom Loop  5 x EK 360mm rads  |  2 x EK D5 PWM pumps  |  EK GPU blocks | Aqua Computer Cuplex Kryos NEXT CPU block

CPU: Threadripper 1950x  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme  |  GPU: 3 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  +  2 x EVGA GTX 1080  |  RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200Mhz (CL14)

Storage:  2 x Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (RAID 0)  |  Samsung 840 Evo SSD  | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1200w

Cooling:  Custom Loop  1 x EK XE 480mm / 1 x EK PE 360mm  |  EK D5 PWM pump  |  EK CPU & GPU blocks 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

WTF?

If Microsoft could have just helped me activate Windows 10 in the first place that'd be nice.

I mean, Windows 10 wouldn't start after updating. I could not recover Windows 7 because of some error.

I called them before reinstalling Windows, and they said there was no other option that reinstalling Windows 10.

So I did that, and called back about the activation. Now they did not want to help me at all.

Entering my Windows 7 activation code into Windows 10 didn't work, and due to the way Microsoft acted towards me I didn't feel like going through the whole installing Windows 7 and updating it to Windows 10 thing again.

That would take me another half a day.

I have the Windows 7 licence lying in a drawer somewhere so I could always legitimately install Windows 7 again, but it's been half a year now and I don't feel like it.

1 minute ago, deWaardt said:

If Microsoft could have just helped me activate Windows 10 in the first place that'd be nice.

I mean, Windows 10 wouldn't start after updating. I could not recover Windows 7 because of some error.

I called them before reinstalling Windows, and they said there was no other option that reinstalling Windows 10.

So I did that, and called back about the activation. Now they did not want to help me at all.

Entering my Windows 7 activation code into Windows 10 didn't work, and due to the way Microsoft acted towards me I didn't feel like going through the whole installing Windows 7 and updating it to Windows 10 thing again.

I have the Windows 7 licence lying in a drawer somewhere so I could always legitimately install Windows 7 again, but it's been half a year now and I don't feel like it.

I guess I'm more confused by what this has to do with traveling on an airplane with a laptop?

Just now, done12many2 said:

I guess I'm more confused by what this has to do with traveling on an airplane with a laptop?

Oh wait, I quoted the wrong post.

I'm sorry! Don't kill me!

I meant to quote:

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Simple. When you arrive at the x-ray scanner thingy place and metal scanner, in the bins you take where you put your shoes, metal objects, wallet, etc...

You put your laptop. If your laptop is in a sleeve of sort, you need to pull it out of there. You can put the sleeve bellow the laptop. You can take several bins if you need room (usually people take 2 bins). One for their bag that they bring on their flight, and shoes, and the other for wallet, laptop, belt, etc.. There is no organization requirement, it is up you.

Keep in mind that you want to be sure that your laptop contains 0 illegal content. If you are randomly selected for search, they may ask you to access your laptop, and go through your stuff in your computer. Charges will be laid if you have movies and illegal content. It usually doesn't happen even if  you are selected for a search, unless they suspect something, but all you need is a agent that is on its bad day. So take no chances. Movies should be in Blu-ray disks or DVDs, or have a copy of purchase in some fashion if it is a digital purchase. Steam games is fine, as you have your proof of purchase in your e-mail, and account info when you login, and so on for every other game on whatever platform even not platform ones.

Just now, deWaardt said:

Oh wait, I quoted the wrong post.

I'm sorry! Don't kill me!

I meant to quote:

No worries, bud.  I thought it was hilarious! :D

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

No worries, bud.  I thought it was hilarious! :D

Hehe :)

Unlike most people here I am actually from the east coast and frequently fly.

To start there is a big difference between a regional jet and a larger domestic jet. If you are going from a large destination to another large destination it will generally be a larger jet. 

Currently I know that both Delta and Jet Blue have WIFI available. Jet Blue charges less but neither are going to break the bank.

With a larger jet you MAY get outlets but its not likely and if you are in Coach you may as well forget about the idea. 

Going through security make sure the laptop is easily accessible as it will have to be in its own seperate bin. If you do not put it in a seperate bin prepare for another 30-45 minutes of screening.

Next thing is yes that laptop is too big for most jets. So in the end I would advise against it. Load up some movies on a tablet or phone. A 6 hour flight is relatively short. 

On the east coast security is tight. A checkpoint safe bag means lets investiagte this further. Do not say anything listen to everything they tell you and you should be fine. 

8 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

I am no experts, but I would take 0 chance. Have everything legit in that laptop/tablet, like this they can't find anything against you if you have additional screening. Like I said, it is most likely an over reaction, but all you need is some bad luck and you have an agent that doesn't like your face for whatever reason or on a bad day.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I am no experts, but I would take 0 chance. Have everything legit in that laptop/tablet, like this they can't find anything against you if you have additional screening. Like I said, it is most likely an over reaction, but all you need is some bad luck and you have an agent that doesn't like your face for whatever reason or on a bad day.

Lucky for me I probably won't be going on an airplane anytime soon, but if I have to get on an airplane I guess I'll just install Linux or something.

I mean, if I have to reinstall my operating system anyways better go with something that is completely free and open source.

1 hour ago, deWaardt said:

Lucky for me I probably won't be going on an airplane anytime soon, but if I have to get on an airplane I guess I'll just install Linux or something.

I mean, if I have to reinstall my operating system anyways better go with something that is completely free and open source.

Yea. But you do know that the agent knows nothing about computers. So it is a great way to get attention. Doesn't help that people see anything different and not inviting (ahem: Linux based OSs), as "hacker", and "all hackers are bad", etc.

For example, they were stories of people going through additional screening, because their Surface Pro 1, which the agent saw as a tablet, had 2 fans, and jam pack with components. It looked strange through the X-ray machine. They don't pay attention to tech news, and training updates takes time.

So basically you have 3 level of screening. You have the first one, that everyone goes through, then you have the second one that involves a pat down (and might go through your luggage with or instead), and then you have the one that take you to a room, and check everything (the one that they open your laptop), this is when they suspect something, or doesn't like your face.

The last one is the one where they fine you if you have anything illegal for you, miss you plane for sure, a whole headache.

Maybe I am over reacting. I don't know.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I'd like to see TSA try to search my encrypted lappy. :D

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

3 hours ago, deWaardt said:

Then you will clearly go to pirate jail when they catch you at the airport. They leave you in the bowels of the plane until you eventually contract scurvy, then you will walk the plank off of an airplane that is mid-flight at 40,000 feet over the arctic ocean.

Pretty common practice.

3 hours ago, sperkowsky said:

Unlike most people here I am actually from the east coast and frequently fly.

To start there is a big difference between a regional jet and a larger domestic jet. If you are going from a large destination to another large destination it will generally be a larger jet. 

Currently I know that both Delta and Jet Blue have WIFI available. Jet Blue charges less but neither are going to break the bank.

With a larger jet you MAY get outlets but its not likely and if you are in Coach you may as well forget about the idea. 

Going through security make sure the laptop is easily accessible as it will have to be in its own seperate bin. If you do not put it in a seperate bin prepare for another 30-45 minutes of screening.

Next thing is yes that laptop is too big for most jets. So in the end I would advise against it. Load up some movies on a tablet or phone. A 6 hour flight is relatively short. 

On the east coast security is tight. A checkpoint safe bag means lets investiagte this further. Do not say anything listen to everything they tell you and you should be fine. 

Southwest Airlines also has wifi

My PC: 

CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 4.7Ghz Motherboard: EVGA Z170 FTW RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX GPU 1: EVGA GTX 1060 FTW GPU 2: MSI R9 270X HAWK Case: NZXT H440 Blue Storage: 120GB PNY, 1TB Hitachi Monitor: Asus VC279 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech G602

Guest PC: 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8320 Motherboard: Some shit Gigabyte board RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares 2133Mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 570 DoubleShot Case: Idk. Some cheap case Storage: 250GB HDD Monitor: Some NEC thing Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Some Microsoft mouse