q6600 + GTX 560 ti vs PS3

n00bmlg

Do you want to play console exclusives? PS3. 

Do you have friends who have a PS3? PS3.

If you said no to the above two questions, then PC.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

C2Q and 560ti, unless there's something from the PS3 that you really want. The PC is more powerful(better graphics, even with that hardware), is more useful, and at this point will be supported for longer.

I do want to play some console exclusives, but I already have a lot of PC games, and 2 of my friends have PS3s but more of my friends have PCs :P

Are you buying a system, if you live in the US you can find new hardware for $300 which will give you far batter performance than a Q6600 + 560 Ti.

Performance like a GTX 580 ~ 660 ~ 750 Ti <-- which would be the GPU.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

13 minutes ago, Weak1ings said:

Are you buying a system, if you live in the US you can find new hardware for $300 which will give you far batter performance than a Q6600 + 560 Ti.

Performance like a GTX 580 ~ 660 ~ 750 Ti <-- which would be the GPU.

I don't have a huge budget, around $80

15 minutes ago, n00bmlg said:

Which should I choose?

how much ram do you have? what mobo? what cpu cooler? if these all quallify for overclocking support the go for the pc instead of the the ps3

as @Weak1ings said you could have better performance for 300$ http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TDmFcf as seen here but his claims appear not to be true

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti   http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-AMD-Athlon-5350

like i said above if your parts comply with overclcoking then your performance will be better, also what res is your monitor?

2 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

how much ram do you have? what mobo? what cpu cooler? if these all quallify for overclocking support the go for the pc instead of the the ps3

as @Weak1ings said you could have better performance for 300$ http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TDmFcf as seen here but his claims appear not to be true

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti   http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-AMD-Athlon-5350

like i said above if your parts comply with overclcoking then your performance will be better, also what res is your monitor?

Right now I have a half size Dell Optiplex 755 and a 720p HDTV.....................................

1 minute ago, n00bmlg said:

Right now I have a half size Dell Optiplex 755 and a 720p HDTV.....................................

I forgot, I have 5GB RAM

4 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

For quick reference:  here is an actual relevant comparison:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1337?vs=1130

I'll make that $300 build then.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

5 minutes ago, n00bmlg said:

whadda ya mean half size?

7776.Optiplex755_Family.jpg-550x550.jpg

btw look at my system specs on my profile if you have the mini tower you could do the same for really cheap

mines a 380 model of optiplex

5 minutes ago, n00bmlg said:

I don't have a huge budget, around $80

ah, in that case it'd be hard to beat the Q6600.

1 minute ago, Jer45 said:

whadda ya mean half size?

7776.Optiplex755_Family.jpg-550x550.jpg

btw look at my system specs on my profile if you have the mini tower you could do the same for really cheap

mines a 380 model of optiplex

The DT, I plan on upgrading to a bigger case tho

7 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

Here is that $300 build which will win:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3240 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($52.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($26.75 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $297.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-02 00:29 EDT-0400

Just now, n00bmlg said:

The DT, I plan on upgrading to a bigger case tho

just to warn you you cant use anything other than a dell optiplex case, the idiots at dell completely inverted the mobo

2 minutes ago, Weak1ings said:

Here is that $300 build which will win:

good ecept for the dual core! usually amd has cheap quad cores, just upgraded last week to a quad core because i was tired of dual core crap performance

2 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

good ecept for the dual core! usually amd has cheap quad cores, just upgraded last week to a quad core because i was tired of dual core crap performance

yup, I would recommend not buying this build but saving up for $400, you can get a i3 & GTX 950 or i3 and better all-around system.
What I do know is that any modern processor will smash a Q6600...  but at the very least being LGA 1150 there is a possible upgrade scheme, if one wants to keep the motherboard.  Anyway, that's just a difference in priority, I know that the Intel Pentium will get higher FPS at other costs.
Also, the GTX 660 being about a 580 is pretty consistent on that Anand site, I've found lots of them for $100 used...  albeit 560 Tis for $60 if the budget is that tight.

Just to give in my experience with Q6600. Its still good CPU, if you aren't into newer than 2013 or high demand games. It bottlenecks 560Ti. If you can, move to newer chipset.

BF4 is only high demand game I've played with 560Ti and it runs smooth 60fps with low-med graphics.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, n00bmlg said:

So, would PS3 be better?

To be frank, it never ever would be better in an absolute sense.  I would choose a Pentium 4 over the PS3.  That 560 Ti & Q6600, though bottlenecked, will give you far more speed than the PS3 in gaming.  If you haven't already bought it though, a GTX 660 would be a better choice since it can run many modern titles like The Witcher 3 at 1080p around 30 FPS.  (mind you, GTX 660 on a i7 4790K, my setup... you would have to bump the settings down a lot, but you would meet the recommended - minimum specs for nearly all games unlike the 560 Ti.)

It comes down to what you want to do.  No PC can run a PS3 exclusive and no PS3 can comfortably browse, play RTS games, build stuff, and do anything a PC can, or as well as a Q6600 + 560 ti.

5 hours ago, Weak1ings said:

To be frank, it never ever would be better in an absolute sense.  I would choose a Pentium 4 over the PS3.  That 560 Ti & Q6600, though bottlenecked, will give you far more speed than the PS3 in gaming.  If you haven't already bought it though, a GTX 660 would be a better choice since it can run many modern titles like The Witcher 3 at 1080p around 30 FPS.  (mind you, GTX 660 on a i7 4790K, my setup... you would have to bump the settings down a lot, but you would meet the recommended - minimum specs for nearly all games unlike the 560 Ti.)

It comes down to what you want to do.  No PC can run a PS3 exclusive and no PS3 can comfortably browse, play RTS games, build stuff, and do anything a PC can, or as well as a Q6600 + 560 ti.

660 or 660 ti?

5 hours ago, Weak1ings said:

Also, a 560 ti is like $50 on eBay

19 hours ago, n00bmlg said:

Also, a 560 ti is like $50 on eBay

Yeah, if you cannot spend more, 560 Ti all the way...  I would recommend a GTX 660 Ti over the 660, it's a bit faster but the prices can be found for nearly the same.  The big reason is this:

It is comparable to the SLI of two 560 Tis, and greater than a GTX 580.

You can find them for $90-100 and they would be my personal choice of the two...  its still faster than any new card, like the GTX 950. (the 660 Ti,)
But only buy it, if you can afford it and the GPU will despite just buying the system, be its final graphics upgrade.  Be sure to OC that Q6600 because it does great at it!
Even at this pricepoint, I recommend going for the best single GPU that you can afford.

The cheapest 560 Ti I've found, that works costs (presently) $65.  And do note the "that works" part.  The Q6600 + a 660 Ti would be capable of playing most games too.

Thats what I have to say, good luck on the choice!

900x900px-LL-7e4a550d_imageview.png