Which camera (especially for video)?

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

They why are you still here, go buy the camera you want.

Because I am trying to see if the d3300 is a better buy than the g7. That's why Im asking people like you, because you are more knowledgeable on this topic.

Keep Moving Forward

6 minutes ago, brainlessgaming said:

For around $100, I can get the g7 which I see is better for video.

Why is it better for video?

The D3300 is good, or an A6000 if you are happy with 1080p

Nikon DSLRs are great as are sony Mirrorless - and both are APSC

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, brainlessgaming said:

Because I am trying to see if the d3300 is a better buy than the g7. That's why Im asking people like you, because you are more knowledgeable on this topic.

And we've told you that it's a matter of personal choice.  There are differences between those cameras, so which of the differences matter to you more?

I have my own preference when I look for a camera to buy.  My fellow cameramen/DPs each have their own preferences.  You should have your own too, and we don't know what they are.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

15 minutes ago, ALwin said:

And we've told you that it's a matter of personal choice.  There are differences between those cameras, so which of the differences matter to you more?

I have my own preference when I look for a camera to buy.  My fellow cameramen/DPs each have their own preferences.  You should have your own too, and we don't know what they are.

Preferences:

1080p video at 60 fps (#1 priority)

Good quality stills

Lens compatibility/variety and price of lens isn't crazy expensive

Mic input (however I know sony makes a wireless mic for the a6000 so I could use that I guess)

Swiveling display could be nice

Camera that's easy (enough for a beginner) and easy to learn/work with

Are these enough?

Keep Moving Forward

5 minutes ago, brainlessgaming said:

Are these enough?

Pretty much every camera fits those, thats the problem

(also I personally never recommend using the 3.5mm jack and to use a field recorder like a zoom h5)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 minutes ago, brainlessgaming said:

Preferences:

1080p video at 60 fps (#1 priority)

Good quality stills

Lens compatibility/variety and price of lens isn't crazy expensive

Mic input (however I know sony makes a wireless mic for the a6000 so I could use that I guess)

Swiveling display could be nice

Are these enough?

Well if these are your preferences, look at which camera is the closest to offering what you want.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Pretty much every camera fits those, thats the problem

(also I personally never recommend using the 3.5mm jack and to use a field recorder like a zoom h5)

Then where am I supposed to hide the mic if i'm making a short film?

Honestly, I don't know how much more specific you want me to get...Is it this difficult to make a recommendation based on what I said? If you need to know more, please ask more specific questions.

Keep Moving Forward

The G7 is a nice camera; it's basically a slimmed down GH4. But it sounds like you're looking for someone to tell you what you want; just make a decision and go with it. I personally started out on a GH1 not out of choice, but because that's what my friend had and we were working with. Micro 4/3 definitely has limitations, but I've found how to get around them. Every system has its pros/cons and odd work-arounds, but that's how it always has been and always will be. Order one, check the return policy, if you don't like it return it.

7 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

sounds like you're looking for someone to tell you what you want

And this is exactly what we are avoiding.

But if you really want us to recommend a camera, I will recommend a camera that a professional with many more years of experience than I have used to make some nice films.

I recommend this camera, which even @ShadowCaptain will strongly recommend.

4 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

The G7 is a nice camera; it's basically a slimmed down GH4. But it sounds like you're looking for someone to tell you what you want; just make a decision and go with it. I personally started out on a GH1 not out of choice, but because that's what my friend had and we were working with. Micro 4/3 definitely has limitations, but I've found how to get around them. Every system has its pros/cons and odd work-arounds, but that's how it always has been and always will be. Order one, check the return policy, if you don't like it return it.

3 minutes ago, ALwin said:

And this is exactly what we are avoiding.

Alright then, thanks for the help.

I'll be deciding between the G7 and a6000.

Keep Moving Forward

11 minutes ago, brainlessgaming said:

Then where am I supposed to hide the mic if i'm making a short film?

Honestly, I don't know how much more specific you want me to get...Is it this difficult to make a recommendation based on what I said? If you need to know more, please ask more specific questions.

On a boom pole

on a camera cage

on a stand

in your friends hand

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

On a boom pole

on a camera cage

on a stand

in your friends hand

Does the audio sync with the camera? Or do I have to sync during video editing?

Keep Moving Forward

2 minutes ago, brainlessgaming said:

Does the audio sync with the camera? Or do I have to sync during video editing?

You have to sync after, but you can also connect the zoom to the camera by 3.5mm and record that, so that you have 2 tracks, one from the camera, one from the external mic, so that its super easy to match up

14 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

yeah but with which lense? can you show me both offers? 

to sum it up. not everybody won in the lottery. and there is no need to be that aggressive if somebody comes into this forum with a set budget. people have different have different meanings of money, you got to respect that. 

The lens with the G7 is a 14-42mm. The price with that lens is $597. It also comes with a $100 giftcard for free. Heres the link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1148282-REG/panasonic_dmc_g7kk_lumix_dmc_g7_mirrorless_micro.html

Heres the Nikon d3300 for $400. It comes with a 18-55mm lens, ad card, shoulder bag, and extra battery: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023353-REG/nikon_1532_d3300_dslr_camera_with.html

Keep Moving Forward

8 hours ago, brainlessgaming said:

ok didnt saw that with the gift card but if your saying it. you will need:

-a good sd card (at least ~30mb/s write) 

-an uv filter to cover you lense (for protection) 

-a tripod (for obvious reasons) 

-depending on what you want to film maybe a slider or something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HLCG8G0/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1462439803&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=camera+slider&dpPl=1&dpID=41UqsnYjrOL&ref=plSrch

-also at your budget i would then go and search for another lense. maybe a 25mm 1.8 or a macro or a telezoom lense depending on wjat you want to film. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

7 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

ok didnt saw that with the gift card but if your saying it. you will need:

-a good sd card (at least ~30mb/s write) 

-a tripod (for obvious reasons) 

-depending on what you want to film maybe a slider or something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HLCG8G0/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1462439803&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=camera+slider&dpPl=1&dpID=41UqsnYjrOL&ref=plSrch

-also at your budget i would then go and search for another lense. maybe a 25mm 1.8 or a macro or a telezoom lense depending on wjat you want to film. 

Can you link me to a good filter that's good for the g7? 

That slider has gotten some bad reviews. I'm thinking of getting this stabilizer: http://www.amazon.com/OFFICIAL-Midnight-Limited-stabilizer-Smartphone/dp/B00S10KFTC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462467452&sr=8-3&keywords=stabilizer

For the lens, I wonder if the kit lens do a good job of capturing a large area (like a part of a city or mountains). If they do a good job at that, I'll need a lens that'll work for closups (like someone talking, or someone's hand moving, ect). What would you recommend for that?

Keep Moving Forward

1 minute ago, brainlessgaming said:

Can you link me to a good filter that's good for the g7? 

That slider has gotten some bad reviews. I'm thinking of getting this stabilizer: http://www.amazon.com/OFFICIAL-Midnight-Limited-stabilizer-Smartphone/dp/B00S10KFTC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462467452&sr=8-3&keywords=stabilizer

For the lens, I wonder if the kit lens do a good job of capturing a large area (like a part of a city or mountains). If they do a good job at that, I'll need a lens that'll work for closups (like someone talking, or someone's hand moving, ect). What would you recommend for that?

yeah the slider thingi was just an example. you will need a 46mm filter for the kit lense.

i would recommend to watch this:

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

8 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

dont bother with one 

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

dont bother with one 

its nice if your photographing outdoors. stupid to have a very expensive lense scratched by accident.

3 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

its nice if your photographing outdoors. stupid to have a very expensive lense scratched by accident.

or just dont bash your camera into stuff, most cheap UV filters are not very good and can lower the quality of your photos or cause extra flaring or ghosting as they are not optically coated, also they scratch easier than the front element

best to just not walk into stuff

99% of time I just dont recommend one,. i dont know any photographers (friends or famous) that use them really

good ones arent expensive and i just like to have a little bit of protection just in case. there are really usefull if you want to clean your lense too. i found mine very usefull a couple of times. im just scared of scratching something that expensive

4 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

im just scared of scratching something that expensive

extremely extremely unlikely in my experience 

extremely extremely unlikely in my experience 

most people say they never drop there phone but even for that one time you want to have a case. its just a personal preference thing. but i would recommend it for beginners. i mean it doesnt change anything and never gets in the way.

Using a clear or UV filter for protection is a personal choice.  I use it on some lenses and on others I don't, and if the situation calls for it I remove the filter before using the camera.

But if someone is going to be buying a clear or UV filter to use as a protective cover... buy a very good one.  Cheap ones are crap.  I am considering investing in the new Sigma transparent ceramic filters and I have around 10 lenses that may need them.  At around $120 a piece, that's around $1200 to spend.

2 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

yeah the slider thingi was just an example. you will need a 46mm filter for the kit lense.

i would recommend to watch this:

Which tripod would you recommend? A pan head would be great as well. 

Keep Moving Forward