CPU cooler help

tomaatvk

I want to buy a new CPU cooler but I don't know which one to buy.

Restrictions:

- My budget is big enough to buy any CPU air cooler on the (dutch) market.

- I have an open air K'nex case so the cooler can have any dimentions, as long as doesn't get to my 2nd expantion slot (so basicly any CPU air cooler except for maybe the nofan CR-95C cooler which is 180mm). I'm also using low profile RAM so that won't be an issue either.

- It has to fit on the 1155 and the 2011-3 intel socket as I am currently using an i7-3770k and will be upgrading to a broadwell-e or haswell-e chip somewhere in the not too distant future (I'm fine with the fact that I may have to ghetto mount it on my 3770k).

I just want the best temperatures available. Currently I'm using a Deepcool Gamer Storm Lucifer. I don't want a water cooler because I don't like the fact that you always have to keep a pump running (when it is on). I will also be doing heavy overclocking (4.9GHz on my 3770k 24/7 with ~1.4v on air, delidded).

These are the coolers I've been looking at:

Cryorig R1 Ultimate for €78,45

Alpenföhn Olymp for €82,45

Cooler Master V8 GTSfor €83,80

Thermalright SilverArrow IB-E for €92,95

Noctua NH-D15 for €89,80

Thermalright SilverArrow ITX for €69,60 but I will need some extra fans for it.

So my question is, which one will perform the best. Any other air cooler submitions are also fine although they might not be available.

Also, before everyone rushes and tells me to buy the noctua, I have seen benchmarks where it got beaten by the others but also the other way around and I can barely find any numbers on the Alpenföhn cooler.

Thanks for any information on which one to choose.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

5 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

I want to buy a new CPU cooler but I don't know which one to buy.

Restrictions:

- My budget is big enough to buy any CPU air cooler on the (dutch) market.

- I have an open air K'nex case so the cooler can have any dimentions, as long as doesn't get to my 2nd expantion slot (so basicly any CPU air cooler except for maybe the nofan CR-95C cooler which is 180mm). I'm also using low profile RAM so that won't be an issue either.

- It has to fit on the 1155 and the 2011-3 intel socket as I am currently using an i7-3770k and will be upgrading to a broadwell-e or haswell-e chip somewhere in the not too distant future (I'm fine with the fact that I may have to ghetto mount it on my 3770k).

I just want the best temperatures available. Currently I'm using a Deepcool Gamer Storm Lucifer. I don't want a water cooler because I don't like the fact that you always have to keep a pump running (when it is on). I will also be doing heavy overclocking (4.9GHz on my 3770k 24/7 with ~1.4v on air, delidded).

These are the coolers I've been looking at:

Cryorig R1 Ultimate for €78,45

Alpenföhn Olymp for €82,45

Cooler Master V8 GTSfor €83,80

Thermalright SilverArrow IB-E for €92,95

Noctua NH-D15 for €89,80

Thermalright SilverArrow ITX for €69,60 but I will need some extra fans for it.

So my question is, which one will perform the best. Any other air cooler submitions are also fine although they might not be available.

Also, before everyone rushes and tells me to buy the noctua, I have seen benchmarks where it got beaten by the others but also the other way around and I can barely find any numbers on the Alpenföhn cooler.

Thanks for any information on which one to choose.

I'd say to choose either the Cryorig or the Noctua one. The V8 is also a good one I believe. 

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

You don't have to spend that much.
The scythe Fuma has comparable performance(loudness and cooling) to the D15 and and R1 but is half the price. Just mounting it is a bit of a hassle (idk misspelled?).

The Thermalright Macho Rev B is also only about 40 bucks cools a little bit worse than the fuma but is way quieter. If you want the super quiet option get the Alpenföhn brocken (you can always add a a second fan if you so desire)

In the same department of quiet but also cooling on top tear level are the Silver Arrow ITX (I imagin that the two fan version cools even ebtter but I have no data on that).

I have no data on the V8 nor ehard of it but I imagine that cooling will be ok. the heatsinks your fairly small.

I just want to remind you that you don't have to spend 80 or 90 bucks to get a good cooler!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

You don't have to spend that much.
The scythe Fuma has comparable performance(loudness and cooling) to the D15 and and R1 but is half the price. Just mounting it is a bit of a hassle (idk misspelled?).

The Thermalright Macho Rev B is also only about 40 bucks cools a little bit worse than the fuma but is way quieter. If you want the super quiet option get the Alpenföhn brocken (you can always add a a second fan if you so desire)

In the same department of quiet but also cooling on top tear level are the Silver Arrow ITX (I imagin that the two fan version cools even ebtter but I have no data on that).

I have no data on the V8 nor ehard of it but I imagine that cooling will be ok. the heatsinks your fairly small.

I just want to remind you that you don't have to spend 80 or 90 bucks to get a good cooler!

Thanks for the tip about the Fuma, I'll add it to the list to research.

As I said in the first post, I am searching for the best temperatures, so the Thermalright Macho rev B is already out of the picture. The same goes for the Alpenföhn brocken.

For the SilverArrow ITX, I already found some great single fan benchmarks and with double fan it will surely get a few °C lower on the core so that one still seems a good option.

As for the V8, I did find some more benchmarks and it performs worse than the rest so it's a no too.

I know that I don't have to spend that money but I sort of have it spare and I  guess, why not.

As for silence, I already made a custom fan switch so I can go fanless if I need to with the flick of a switch.

21 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

I would take the Noctua, because the Thermalright is more expensive and they trade blows

I guess you do have a point there that puts the thermalright silverarrow IB-E out of the picture but how about the Cryorig and the silverarrow ITX? (found some benchmark numbers about the alpenföhn olymp and it performs equal to the NH-D15S so I guess that one is out of the picture too)

25 minutes ago, Vercii said:

I'd say to choose either the Cryorig or the Noctua one. The V8 is also a good one I believe. 

At the moment I'm indeed sort of leaning towards the cryorig one because of it being cheaper, smaller and still performing as good as the noctua cooler. The V8 was a bit less I discovered.

So the list ATM is:

Cryorig R1 Ultimate

Noctua NH-D15

Thermalright SilverArrow ITX

Scythe Fuma (?)

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

19 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

Thanks for the tip about the Fuma, I'll add it to the list to research.

As I said in the first post, I am searching for the best temperatures, so the Thermalright Macho rev B is already out of the picture. The same goes for the Alpenföhn brocken.

For the SilverArrow ITX, I already found some great single fan benchmarks and with double fan it will surely get a few °C lower on the core so that one still seems a good option.

As for the V8, I did find some more benchmarks and it performs worse than the rest so it's a no too.

I know that I don't have to spend that money but I sort of have it spare and I  guess, why not.

As for silence, I already made a custom fan switch so I can go fanless if I need to with the flick of a switch.

I guess you do have a point there that puts the thermalright silverarrow IB-E out of the picture but how about the Cryorig and the silverarrow ITX? (found some benchmark numbers about the alpenföhn olymp and it performs equal to the NH-D15S so I guess that one is out of the picture too)

At the moment I'm indeed sort of leaning towards the cryorig one because of it being cheaper, smaller and still performing as good as the noctua cooler. The V8 was a bit less I discovered.

So the list ATM is:

Cryorig R1 Ultimate

Noctua NH-D15

Thermalright SilverArrow ITX

Scythe Fuma (?)

Is loudnees a non issue? If that is the case why not go with and AIO?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

3 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Is loudnees a non issue? If that is the case why not go with and AIO?

Well, I have the rig in my bedroom and I often run it at night 'downclocked' to 3.8GHz with the cpu cooler fanless (thanks to a hardmod) so it's completely quiet. If I use an AIO I would have to keep the pump running and I probably couldn't stand the fact that I couldn't make it completely quiet.

1 minute ago, tomaatvk said:

Well, I have the rig in my bedroom and I often run it at night 'downclocked' to 3.8GHz with the cpu cooler fanless (thanks to a hardmod) so it's completely quiet. If I use an AIO I would have to keep the pump running and I probably couldn't stand the fact that I couldn't make it completely quiet.

And while using it?

3.Use

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

And while using it?

While using it having an AIO isn't a problem but I can't switch between AIO and heatsink every time I have my pc running all night.

I'm also not quite fond of the fact that an AIO will only last about 5 years in contrairy to air coolers which last pretty much forever (not talking about the fans).