Go to solution Solved by thekeemo,
Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

@Godlygamer23 

@Tedster

@Enderman

@thekeemo

@Cryptonite

@xDanielxOossiex

Just wanted to give y'all a quick update to this situation...the first slot has completely failed...BIOS no longer detects anything in that slot and no power is outputted through the slot anymore...while the second slot is now recognizing the card 99% of the time which is good but it is still stuck at 2x 1.1...upgrade here I come? (CS is now unplayable with FPS drops every time some one throws a grenade or shoots...down to 30 fps from 300 so...)

Time for a new board..

548.png

Should I be concerned about this? It used to run at 8x 1.1 or 2.0 depending on what day it was but never 2x...is this just a bug or something bad is happening? This is slotted in the second slot with my top 290x disabled for now as I'm trouble shooting (lower performance than usual) and came across to this...any thoughts (and this is with valley running in the background...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

That is at idle. If you start a game it will go up.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

What kind of GPU usage and clocks do you get when running Valley with this happening? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Next to Pci-e 3.0 x16 1.1 there is a '?'. Click it and press "Start render test".

I have a GTX970 in Pci-e 3.0 x16, when idle it says Pci-e 3.0 x16 1.1, when under load, it says Pci-e 3.0 x16 3.0.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

thats cause its at idle

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

That is at idle. If you start a game it will go up.

(and this is with valley running in the background...)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Bus may nearly be at idle, perhaps? Probably not

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

Bus may nearly be at idle, perhaps? Probably not

Funnily enough, with my 970 idling, I currently have this:

Spoiler

Capture.JPG

Slot is running at its fastest speed despite my 970 simply idling.

Funnily enough, with my 970 idling, I currently have this:

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.JPG

Slot is running at its fastest speed despite my 970 simply idling.

Perhaps only AMD cards reduce the bus bandwidth?

Sig under construction.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Didnt think that having things in the background affected usage. 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

13 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Try reseating it.

Already tried as my mobo started off failing to recognize the GPU was there...

13 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What kind of GPU usage and clocks do you get when running Valley with this happening? 

1100/1350, reduced the clocks as motherboard was failing to recognise the card being there...(1200/1350 before)

9 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

Next to Pci-e 3.0 x16 1.1 there is a '?'. Click it and press "Start render test".

I have a GTX970 in Pci-e 3.0 x16, when idle it says Pci-e 3.0 x16 1.1, when under load, it says Pci-e 3.0 x16 3.0.

Tried that, furmark, valley, R6S and CSGO and it still stayed at 2x 1.1 (and the built in render test runs at 18fps while before it was 120+)

1100/1350, reduced the clocks as motherboard was failing to recognise the card being there...(1200/1350 before)

Tried that, furmark, valley, R6S and CSGO and it still stayed at 2x 1.1 (and the built in render test runs at 18fps while before it was 120+)

I'm guessing temps are all fine and dandy?

Sig under construction.

Just now, Tedster said:

I'm guessing temps are all fine and dandy?

Yup, 55c underload from valley...

If this is a motherboard failure...I'm fucked...as it's not recognising the card being plugged in 75% of the time...and exams so no time to change out parts (while I'm using this daily for revision...)

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Would you mind taking that card and putting it into the slot the other 290X is in and retesting?

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Yup, 55c underload from valley...

If this is a motherboard failure...I'm fucked...as it's not recognising the card being plugged in 75% of the time...and exams so no time to change out parts (while I'm using this daily for revision...)

Well if it came to worst, you have relatively decent integrated graphics...

Sig under construction.

Would you mind taking that card and putting it into the slot the other 290X is in and retesting?

not possible...the cooler on it is too long to fit :P

Possible motherboard failure?

Just now, Tedster said:

Well if it came to worst, you have relatively decent integrated graphics...

I had problems with the top 16x slot to begin with (half dead, works for CFX but if you tried plugging in the video output onto it...nothing...) and now it seems that the second slot is giving up as well...(didn't RMA it as it was fine...worked flawlessly for CFX and couldn't wait a month to get it back...)

21 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

548.png

Should I be concerned about this? It used to run at 8x 1.1 or 2.0 depending on what day it was but never 2x...is this just a bug or something bad is happening? This is slotted in the second slot with my top 290x disabled for now as I'm trouble shooting (lower performance than usual) and came across to this...any thoughts (and this is with valley running in the background...)

ok first thing first, in the motherboard's bios, did you change the PCIe speeds are set correctly. 

does it perform good in the first slot with the other GPU removed?

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Just now, Cryptonite said:

ok first thing first, in the motherboard's bios, did you change the PCIe speeds are set correctly. 

does it perform good in the first slot with the other GPU removed?

other GPU has no power going into it right now (aka disabled) and the bios settings are correct...(first thing I did when my GPU failed to display anything)

14 minutes ago, Tedster said:

Perhaps only AMD cards reduce the bus bandwidth?

Nope, my GTX970 does it too, but when under load, it jumps up to 3.0

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

other GPU has no power going into it right now (aka disabled) and the bios settings are correct...(first thing I did when my GPU failed to display anything)

ok but I'm trying to determine whether or not it is the slot running at the slow speed or whether the fault is GPU related. try swapping the two GPUs.

does your pc only have 2x pci-e slots?

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

2 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

Nope, my GTX970 does it too, but when under load, it jumps up to 3.0

Used to idle at 1x 1.1 and then under load jump to 8x 1.1/2.0

1 minute ago, Cryptonite said:

ok but I'm trying to determine whether or not it is the slot running at the slow speed or whether the fault is GPU related. try swapping the two GPUs.

does your pc only have 2x pci-e slots?

Yes with me unable to really switch cards around due to hard drive cages and the first slot detecting GPUs and allowing CFX to work but won't display any video if the cables are connect to the GPU in the first slot...

@Godlygamer23 

@Tedster

@Enderman

@thekeemo

@Cryptonite

@xDanielxOossiex

How likely is the motherboard to be malfunctioning/failing? This started 2 hours ago where I restarted my PC and bam...no display...so went thourgh a bunch of eliminations and ended up here...with the second slot also not working properly...reseated the GPU...changed power connectors, reinstalled drivers, changed OC clocks, done everything including moving this GPU to my second machine and it showed up fine as 8x 3.0 (h61 motherboard so...)...motherboard fault? 

@Godlygamer23 

@Tedster

@Enderman

@thekeemo

@Cryptonite

@xDanielxOossiex

How likely is the motherboard to be malfunctioning/failing? This started 2 hours ago where I restarted my PC and bam...no display...so went thourgh a bunch of eliminations and ended up here...with the second slot also not working properly...reseated the GPU...changed power connectors, reinstalled drivers, changed OC clocks, done everything including moving this GPU to my second machine and it showed up fine as 8x 3.0 (h61 motherboard so...)...motherboard fault? 

Does the integrated GPU work?

Just now, thekeemo said:

Does the integrated GPU work?

Yup