PSU fan choice

Allshevski

So recently I've been thinking a lot about upgrading my case and fans but here's one more problem - my noisy PSU. I love it and don't really want to spend $100 on a new fully featured one as for now. So it will be either running with couple of scenarios - both intake or exhaust, with PSU in both orientations, with or without filter and with or without the plastic thing inside blocking ~50% airflow. My case pressure will be slightly negative. 

NB B12-2 vs NB Blacksilent PRO vs Silent Wings 2 vs Shadow wings vs (ugly but may not really matter) NF-P12

According to be quiet! website both SW2 and Shadow Wings are equal, only mounting options are different. Also, there are some complaints about eLoops being noisy when used in pull but I don't know what scenario I will be facing as I can run the fan both as an intake (only facing down) or exhaust facing up or down and I'm a little bit worried about the noise.. Also, the NF-P12 is nice but I really don't want it to be visible If I have my PSU blowing at my video card (bad idea but that's the way my airflow is and I don't really mind sacrificing silence for silence).. 

Also, it you don't mind typing couple letters more, could you please tell me what will look better in black and white themed build as a CPU cooler fan - black Phobya NB eLoop or B&W Noiseblocker eLoop or NF-F12 LTT/iPPC with white corners (kinda pricey)? Or maybe Blacksilent PRO will look and perform as good as these? 

Or, I really feel like I just should buy any of these and be happy with it but well.. I'm just thinking too much and decision making isn't my stuff unless I'm 100% sure so please forgive me spamming all over the forum with fan questions, just my OCD..

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

nfp12 redux is gray and looks better than the regular noctua brown

the shadow wings is not the same as silent wings

silent wings is quieter

you may also want to look at the CM silenzio fans, those are also extremely quiet and have much better static pressure than these fans

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

nfp12 redux is gray and looks better than the regular noctua brown

the shadow wings is not the same as silent wings

silent wings is quieter

you may also want to look at the CM silenzio fans, those are also extremely quiet and have much better static pressure than these fans

you meant NF-P14r? Or NF-S12B? Silencio fans aren't really my favorite, you didn't help too much.. But thank you anyway..

Just now, Allshevski said:

you meant NF-P14r? Or NF-S12B? Silencio fans aren't really my favorite, you didn't help too much.. But thank you anyway..

i like the white noiseblockers

they go great with a white theme PC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Iäm not sure why you are so concerned about how PSU fan looks. Wouldn't it be facing down towards floor/table and being its own intake? Also the plastic piece is there for reason. It directs airflow to parts of PSU which need most of the cooling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Iäm not sure why you are so concerned about how PSU fan looks. Wouldn't it be facing down towards floor/table and being its own intake? Also the plastic piece is there for reason. It directs airflow to parts of PSU which need most of the cooling.

I know, I know all that stuff. But if it will be just a little quieter with the fan facing up, I can do it. Just a total silence freak who still wants my PC to look good on my desk.. And there are so many fan options, that's like realizing how tiny we are in the universe. So depressing, the fear that you will choose the wrong one and then don't sleep for another month because it's just too noisy..

On 5/1/2016 at 11:38 AM, Allshevski said:

I know, I know all that stuff. But if it will be just a little quieter with the fan facing up, I can do it. Just a total silence freak who still wants my PC to look good on my desk.. And there are so many fan options, that's like realizing how tiny we are in the universe. So depressing, the fear that you will choose the wrong one and then don't sleep for another month because it's just too noisy..

If you want it to be as quiet as possible, get a NF-S12A. Otherwise, a SW2 is an excellent but slightly louder alternative. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you want it to be as quiet as possible, get a NF-S12A. Otherwise, a SW2 is an excellent but slightly louder alternative. 

Well, NF-S12A isn't so good when it comes to static pressure... And I know how much you love Silent Wings :P The only thing is that I want to keep the airflow of this cheap fan that's inside with minimizing the noise. And there's two moderately restrictive fan grills, a filter and that plastic piece covering half on the fan...

Just be super careful when opening the PSU! The capacitors can be charged even after days beeing unplugged.

On 5/2/2016 at 1:25 AM, Allshevski said:

Well, NF-S12A isn't so good when it comes to static pressure... And I know how much you love Silent Wings :P The only thing is that I want to keep the airflow of this cheap fan that's inside with minimizing the noise. And there's two moderately restrictive fan grills, a filter and that plastic piece covering half on the fan...

Actually, the NF-S12A is my favorite fan :P

It doesn't has a massive amount of static pressure but it performs pretty well on heatsinks and not too bad even on rads. It's plenty for cooling a psu as long as it's not constantly under heavy load. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Actually, the NF-S12A is my favorite fan :P

It doesn't has a massive amount of static pressure but it performs pretty well on heatsinks and not too bad even on rads. It's plenty for cooling a psu as long as it's not constantly under heavy load. 

It will be. And NF-P12 is my favorite when it comes to performance ^^ so yeah.. Btw my included case fan only makes audible whisper at 3000 rpm while NF-S12A is total purring hell on 1200.. Yeah.. Okay, I have watched some CoolingTechnique videos and man, NF-P12 FTW, airflow is comparable to others but the static pressure is superb. Going to use it everywhere unless you can see it.. Now I need heatsink fans.

7 hours ago, Allshevski said:

It will be. And NF-P12 is my favorite when it comes to performance ^^ so yeah.. Btw my included case fan only makes audible whisper at 3000 rpm while NF-S12A is total purring hell on 1200.. Yeah.. Okay, I have watched some CoolingTechnique videos and man, NF-P12 FTW, airflow is comparable to others but the static pressure is superb. Going to use it everywhere unless you can see it.. Now I need heatsink fans.

What--how is 3000rpm just a whisper? Are you far away from the computer?

On 3.05.2016 at 6:41 PM, WoodenMarker said:

What--how is 3000rpm just a whisper? Are you far away from the computer?

No. It's an "Audible whisper", that means it's audible but pleasant to the ear, It has no airflow but is still quieter than my S12A on full speed. And the tone is smoother than their "furrrrr"

Edit: this fan uses my coffee as lubrication as I was curious about what will happen.. yeeah, don't judge :P

Edit2: they push more air than I remembered them for, still not a lot but for a fan that came in a case cheaper than one and a half noctua fans, not bad I think.