Fans..

BlueLightning
Go to solution Solved by Tedster,
1 minute ago, BlueLightning said:

Umm i got kinda lost and now wondering can you power a fan with the cable thats already attached or is there some type of way you plug it in to the power supply for power and the mobo for controlling..my build is up to date but ive seen that two in one set up from an old video and now wondering do you still need the psu? If certain motherboards power the fans then my mobo is the Asus rog viii aplha hero..

???

If you're wanting to control the fan, you're going to need to power it from the motherboard.

Generally fans will only have the one connector, which you plug into the motherboard, unless it's a molex fan, in which case there's usually no speed control and will be powered by the power supply.

Umm i got kinda lost and now wondering can you power a fan with the cable thats already attached or is there some type of way you plug it in to the power supply for power and the mobo for controlling..my build is up to date but ive seen that two in one set up from an old video and now wondering do you still need the psu? If certain motherboards power the fans then my mobo is the Asus rog viii aplha hero..

1 minute ago, BlueLightning said:

???

If you're wanting to control the fan, you're going to need to power it from the motherboard.

Generally fans will only have the one connector, which you plug into the motherboard, unless it's a molex fan, in which case there's usually no speed control and will be powered by the power supply.

Sig under construction.

if your fan consumes lots of wattage, more than what the motherboard header can provide, then you'll need to power the fan from the psu and possibly control it using a pwm signal

most fans nowadays can be powered off the motherboard's header without any problem

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Ok thank you guys!? and yeah no its not molex. Just making sure that it can be powered from that one cord is all? (im new)

I don't know if I get it right but for example Gelid 1-4 PWM splitter gives them power from the molex connector but you can control and read their rpm from your motherboard. Extremely useful thing for lots of fans.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

Not sure it's appropriate to piggyback on this thread.  I've got my rig in a define r5 case which has a fan control (powered by sata).  Am I better off plugging into the motherboard or case?