Soundcard advice

8tE1GH7

I bought a Astro A40 headset with the mixamp for gaming a few years ago now I'm curious about upgrading. Can I have some suggestions on a good soundcard? Budgets about 150.
Thanks

First get some nice headphones a sound card won't improve things much if at all

I reccommend 558s

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I was thinking about getting a Audio-technica ATH-AD700x headset to go with the new soundcard.

Those are good headphones, but again skip the sound card. For $150 you can pick up an o2 amp, or if you want to save a bit of money and skip a bit on the sound quality you can get a fiio product. Read the FAQ about this subject at the top of the audio forum if you'd like to learn more, but any external solution will be better than a sound card.

Those are good headphones, but again skip the sound card. For $150 you can pick up an o2 amp, or if you want to save a bit of money and skip a bit on the sound quality you can get a fiio product. Read the FAQ about this subject at the top of the audio forum if you'd like to learn more, but any external solution will be better than a sound card.

Should go with something like Fiio E10 DAC with the AD700x headphones? 

Even though the E10 isn't surround sound will it be a good upgrade?

Even though the E10 isn't surround sound will it be a good upgrade?

Like I said, read the FAQ at the top of the audio forum.

"Surround sound" is used to make bad headphones sound okay. If you do anything like that with AD700x's it will make them sound much worse.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132054

Over 1/4 of reviews are 1 star. Shocking.

All products have reviews like that, I have one and I've only had a static issue with it, which was fixed by re-installing windows ( I think another program was interfering)

But the price of the phoebus doesn't justify it, it's great with the 1234 features it comes with, but a simpler solution such as a fiioe10 wins in price/performance. (This always happens with everything though, whether it be gpu/cpu etc, after a certain price, the increase in performance isn't as much)

I love the dolby theatre feature+ headphone+mic combo "command thingy" with the volume on it, so I don't mind the price, plus it just looks sweet :D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

All products have reviews like that, I have one and I've only had a static issue with it, which was fixed by re-installing windows ( I think another program was interfering)

But the price of the phoebus doesn't justify it, it's great with the 1234 features it comes with, but a simpler solution such as a fiioe10 wins in price/performance. (This always happens with everything though, whether it be gpu/cpu etc, after a certain price, the increase in performance isn't as much)

I love the dolby theatre feature+ headphone+mic combo "command thingy" with the volume on it, so I don't mind the price, plus it just looks sweet :D

What? All products don't have reviews like that...?

Also having to re-install windows to use a hardware device is insane...

What? All products don't have reviews like that...?

Also having to re-install windows to use a hardware device is insane...

It took like 2 hours to re-install everything tops, and I needed to re-install anyways, because I had a crap-ton of sh*t on my pc I didn't need from building it at fry's, the guy that helped me buy everything etc when I returned it to have them replace faulty RAM, he offered to install all the drivers + windows for free, so I let him.

And yes, tons of products have negative reviews about DOA, driver complaints and other crap etc, even though it has nothing to do with the product lol, they were just unlucky and got a dud. 

The drivers are the biggest complaint from everyone, which is Asus's fault and not the soundcard itself most likely. 

I've never had an issue with the drivers, all the complaints are "omg shit drivers etc" When they work perfectly fine.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It took like 2 hours to re-install everything tops, and I needed to re-install anyways, because I had a crap-ton of sh*t on my pc I didn't need from building it at fry's, the guy that helped me buy everything etc when I returned it to have them replace faulty RAM, he offered to install all the drivers + windows for free, so I let him.

And yes, tons of products have negative reviews about DOA, driver complaints and other crap etc, even though it has nothing to do with the product lol, they were just unlucky and got a dud. 

The drivers are the biggest complaint from everyone, which is Asus's fault and not the soundcard itself most likely. 

I've never had an issue with the drivers, all the complaints are "omg shit drivers etc" When they work perfectly fine.

:rolleyes:

Any Asus Xonar card that goes with ur budget go go go :)

These^ responses are misleading.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

These^ responses are misleading.

that's what linus answered me like 9 times in a row :D  i bugged him with the same Question for a week on twitter :D and he answered what i just said the 9 times with the same 5 dots at the end :D

that's what linus answered me like 9 times in a row :D  i bugged him with the same Question for a week on twitter :D and he answered what i just said the 9 times with the same 5 dots at the end :D

He also changed his mind.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Annoying somebody on twitter isn't smart. I'm sure he just said that to stop you from asking, that's nothing to be proud of.

Annoying somebody on twitter isn't smart. I'm sure he just said that to stop you from asking, that's nothing to be proud of.

i didn't annoy him he would have asked me to stop i ask him alot on twitter :D and go with any Asus Xonar card that goes with ur budget is always his answer on the Wan show and even was his answer when he used to make solo live streams at his kitchen that's over a year and half :D so almost 2 years with the same answer

linus changed his mind about Xonar cards ? noway :D

He stated that he was wrong in one of his recent videos.