Shocking Breakthrough: Western Canadian Internet slower than average

vanished
7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As mentioned, they've since upgraded to Synchronous 1Gbps Up and Down.

OT: Yep, Canadian Internet sucks. The "minimum acceptable" standard of 5 Mbps set by the CRTC in my opinion is outdated already. The minimum should be 15 Mbps or 20 Mbps.

And here I'm sitting in urban Ontario with 150/10 Mbps...

Well the minimum in the US according to the article is 25 and that seems pretty reasonable.  It's nothing exceptional, but it's fast enough for general use, like watching videos on youtube or netflix and downloading large steam games in a reasonable amount of time (like GTA V overnight easy).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

29 minutes ago, Suika said:

Still faster than me :l

:| What you got? Sitting here with 8/4 and this already annoys me the fuck out. 4k youtube?, forget it. Downloading gta v? 3 days leaving the pc on 24/7.

Spoiler

sd.PNG

2 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

:| What you got? Sitting here with 8/4 and this already annoys me the fuck out. 4k youtube?, forget it. Downloading gta v? 3 days leaving the pc on 24/7.

Reveal hidden contents

sd.PNG

5288655664.png

I've been downloading GTA V for over a week now.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 minutes ago, Suika said:

5288655664.png

That sucks man.  You're in the wrong part of Missouri.  xD   In parts of Kansas City they have Google fiber at 1 GB/s up and down.

Look on the bright side.  You have a fast computer!

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That sucks man.  You're in the wrong part of Missouri.  xD

No joke, man. If I lived like 2-3 miles further down the road, I'd have 100Mb/s down and 5Mb/s up.

bitch please:

Download: 3Mbps

Upload: 0.4Mbps

Ping: 80ms

Call me when you reach my level

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Untitled.png

Try living with this.

I dare you.

:(

I'm on 100 Mbit/s Down/up for 5$ not in U.S.A. in Europe, Georgia

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Northern British Columbia resident here.

Residential speeds are 5 Mbps down/1 Mbps up normally. Other providers like Xplornet and Galaxy Broadband are slower or more expensive than what Telus can offer through ADSL.

Business speeds are 15 Down/1 Up in the ones I've used. Some use residential plans for business. Others are luckily enough to be landed in a location with CityWest's fiber, with speeds of 50down.

These speeds imo are outdated for online experiences today. Like it would only suffice perhaps one user at any given time. I cannot upload a snapchat video without my ping shooting through the roof.

Shocking Breakthrough? I think you meant Shocking Breaking News, or Shocking, or Breaking News... a breakthrough is either an improvement or discovery that leads to future improvements.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

50 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

Shocking Breakthrough? I think you meant Shocking Breaking News, or Shocking, or Breaking News... a breakthrough is either an improvement or discovery that leads to future improvements.

Yeah you're probably right.  This was literally the first thing I did when I woke up so... I mean, someone else already complained about the capitalization in the title :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

yeeeerp... I'm up in that big ol Red bit =( I'm surprised 6.7 is the avg cause everyone i know gets 2 to 3

18 hours ago, Suika said:

5288655664.png

I think in your case it would actually be faster to find someone on the forum with a faster connection, or just has GTA V, drive to there, get gta V and go back. Which is actually really sad...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

I think in your case it would actually be faster to find someone on the forum with a faster connection, or just has GTA V, drive to there, get gta V and go back. Which is actually really sad...

I drive to my college on my days off to download stuff. Kind of sad but it gets me out of the house.

22 hours ago, Suika said:

5288655664.png

I know how you feel,  because I'm limited to roughly the same speeds, but I'm living near the largest internet exchange point in the world, which makes this whole scenario even more ridiculous. Thanks Telekom…