Introducing Instagram, Facebook and Facebook Messenger for Windows 10.

AlTech
5 hours ago, TheCMan said:

Speaking of working better, an email app can be much better then using the web site. For multiple accounts it can be much easier to manage them through an app then a web site. Also the layout can be better depending on the website. Also, things can load better since everything doesn't have to be downloaded. You get notifications, a live tile, notifications on the lock screen. There's a lot of benefits of an app over a web site for certain things.

I believe almost all of those things except for the notifications and maybe the layout if you are using a unusual email provider that has a bad layout falls under the business catagory, since the avrage user or even a hardcore user doesnt have more than 2 emails to manage, and the marginally faster loading times seems to only effect those with dial up modems.

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

8 hours ago, TheCMan said:

INTRODUCING *Drum Roll* InstaPic https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrfhwhx

A third party app for instagram.

Anything on Mobile can be just as good or better on Windows. There's a lot of 3rd party apps that works just as good or better as the official app or the web.

This app isn't perfect by any means though and would be nice if they updated it to a windows 10 style.

Speaking of working better, an email app can be much better then using the web site. For multiple accounts it can be much easier to manage them through an app then a web site. Also the layout can be better depending on the website. Also, things can load better since everything doesn't have to be downloaded. You get notifications, a live tile, notifications on the lock screen. There's a lot of benefits of an app over a web site for certain things.

I prefer having a dedicated email app for my multiple email accounts. I have set it up so that's identical to on my phone.

That's one of the things I love about Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. Consistency across devices is something I love. So call me "Old fashioned" but I like dedicated clients for different things. It is better for a company to provide one good experience than several mediocre ones.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I see people talking about why Android succeeded and Windows Phone failed.

Windows Phone is in the position it is in right now because Microsoft fucked up time and time again.

Abridged version of the "mobile wars":

Spoiler

A bunch of different "smartphone OSes" exist on the market. We got Symbian, Windows Mobile, super early version of Android (not owned by Google), and a few more.

iOS comes out and revolutionize the way smartphones are.

Manufacturers want something to compete against iOS with. Symbian was pretty shitty so that was a no-go. Microsoft didn't care about Windows Mobile so that was not an option either. In the end a few of them settled for Android and marketed it heavily (to compete against the iPhone). An example was the Motorola Droid.

Android began to take shape and become a major player. Once Microsoft noticed this they decided to jump on board the mobile train. Sadly, Windows Phone was absolute unusable garbage. It was like Microsoft hired a couple of interns to make an OS over the summer, and then everyone in the WP team went out for lunch, assuming that they had won the mobile wars. WP7 was often 1-2 generations behind hardware wise (not because of OEMs, but because Microsoft didn't bother supporting the latest chipsets), they had stupid restrictions the handset manufacturers didn't like, the OS lacked like 90% of what was considered basic features, updates were rare and didn't do much, it had no real unique selling point other than "hey look we are Microsoft!" and the list goes on.

Then when Microsoft realized they couldn't release a half-ass OS and expect world dominance they went "fuck it" and scraped the entire thing. Dropped support for all devices (not a single Windows Phone 7 device to updated to Windows Phone 8) and started from scratch with Windows Phone 8.

Sadly, they made the same mistakes again with Windows Phone 8. It wasn't until near the end of Windows Phone 8 that they seemed to care about it (I would say with the Windows Phone 8.1 update). But at that point Android had a ~5 year head start, which proved to be too much. In the beginning Windows Phone had maybe 100 issues (not exaggerating) that were keeping people back, but pretty much all of them could have been fixed by Microsoft. Now, 6 years later they have fixed most (not all) of the issues they originally had, but the problem of third party apps which was just a minor thing in the beginning has grown into a massive issue it will probably never overcome.