Searching w/ Cortana Forces You to Use Edge + Bing

Kherm

Uhmm, little bit off-topic.. Does Cortana really require mic to speak to searching?  'Cuz I'm deaf, and I have speech disabilities...

Back to on-topic, Oh Microsoft. *sighs*

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

51 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

Does Cortana really require mic to speak to searching?  'Cuz I'm deaf, and I have speech disabilities...

I believe you can disable the microphone in Cortana's settings (tho they did the best they could to hide these options...), otherwise it can be turned on and off by Cortana whenever it wants. Yes, 130$+ for a giant piece of spyware.

But what can I say, it's the most compatible os out there  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Linux is way better in my opinion, but god helps ya if you want to play games xD

All the people complaining about this were never using Cortana in the first place lmao. Also, I'm pretty sure Google Now only works with Google and Chrome???

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

5 minutes ago, RH00D said:

Also, I'm pretty sure Google Now only works with Google and Chrome???

I think you're a little bit misslead here. While it's true that Google is specially optimized for GoogleChrome, that doesn't mean it can't be used on other web browsers (in fact, I have Firefox, Opera and Edge on my computer, and it behaves good in each of them).

Anyway, I almost never use it, except for when a relative or non-tech savy needs to use my pc and doesn't even want to give a chance to my dear DuckDuckGo :/

14 minutes ago, Train27 said:

I believe you can disable the microphone in Cortana's settings (tho they did the best they could to hide these options...), otherwise it can be turned on and off by Cortana whenever it wants. Yes, 130$+ for a giant piece of spyware.

But what can I say, it's the most compatible os out there  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Linux is way better in my opinion, but god helps ya if you want to play games xD

I guess I will stick my "Most Precious Treasure" (Windows 7) bit longer until  new PC...

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

8 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

I guess I will stick my "Most Precious Treasure" (Windows 7) bit longer until  new PC...

If you plan on working it for a long time you should consider getting a better version than Windows 7 Home :P

Pro & Enterprise are very well optimized for my opinion.

Edit: you can find them very cheap on e-bay/amazon

This WOULD be an issue for me.. But since I can't use Cortana due to being in NZ, despite selecting English (US) as opposed to UK, I really don't care. The search functionality is great for launching applications, but that's all I do. If I need to search, I always have Chrome open with a bunch of tabs so I'll use that.

I actually use Edge on my SP4, since it's much more lightweight than Chrome, uses less battery and Chrome drops Youtube frames at 4k and scrolling is much more stuttery and gross. Its a great browser honestly, but it really desperately needs to allow me to pin tabs.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

43 minutes ago, RH00D said:

All the people complaining about this were never using Cortana in the first place lmao. Also, I'm pretty sure Google Now only works with Google and Chrome???

Google now only works with searching on Google, but it works in other browsers too (for example Firefox). I don't really see how that is related to this thread though. The article isn't about Google blocking people from using other engines and browsers, it's about Microsoft. Pointing fingers at what someone else is doing is a pretty weak attempt at distracting people from an issue.

Besides, there is a very big difference between something not working (using Google Now to search with other search engines) and actively blocking competing products after they discover someone found a way to do it (like Microsoft are doing here). The latter is, if you ask me, anti-trust lawsuit worthy (because you are using your monopoly powers to harm competitors and boost the popularity of your own products). For the former, it might just be that nobody has bothered finding a way to redirect Google Now searches to Bing because nobody wants to use Bing.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Google now only works with searching on Google, but it works in other browsers too (for example Firefox). I don't really see how that is related to this thread though. The article isn't about Google blocking people from using other engines and browsers, it's about Microsoft. Pointing fingers at what someone else is doing is a pretty weak attempt at distracting people from an issue.

Besides, there is a very big difference between something not working (using Google Now to search with other search engines) and actively blocking competing products after they discover someone found a way to do it (like Microsoft are doing here). The latter is, if you ask me, anti-trust lawsuit worthy (because you are using your monopoly powers to harm competitors and boost the popularity of your own products). For the former, it might just be that nobody has bothered finding a way to redirect Google Now searches to Bing because nobody wants to use Bing.

This isn't that serious lmao. Microsoft isn't even a monopoly anymore.

The Google fans and more specifically the Linux crowd have been going on for years about how irrelevant Microsoft is and that Linux has already "taken over the world".

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

22 minutes ago, RH00D said:

This isn't that serious lmao. Microsoft isn't even a monopoly anymore.

The Google fans and more specifically the Linux crowd have been going on for years about how irrelevant Microsoft is and that Linux has already "taken over the world".

still a monopoly in my math book

marketshare.PNG

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0&qptimeframe=Y

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Your math book does not include mobile devices/OSes. Microsoft has less than 3% marketshare in mobile.

Like it or not mobile is a huge factor. In fact, Apple's entire existence in the past ~15 years is nearly entirely dependent on their success in mobile devices.

1 minute ago, RH00D said:

Your math book does not include mobile devices/OSes. Microsoft has less than 3% marketshare in mobile.

Like it or not mobile is a huge factor. In fact, Apple's entire existence in the past ~15 years is nearly entirely dependent on their success in mobile devices.

mobile as nothing to do with desktop market share. Don't even know why you're bringing this out

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

mobile as nothing to do with desktop market share. Don't even know why you're bringing this out

Because if you want to talk about OS marketshare you need to include the entire picture, not just the portion that fits your narrative. I never stated I was referring exclusively to desktop computers.

31 minutes ago, RH00D said:

Because if you want to talk about OS marketshare you need to include the entire picture, not just the portion that fits your narrative. I never stated I was referring exclusively to desktop computers.

i'm not including just the portion that fits my narrative, you have desktop marketshare and you have mobile market share, you don't mix them together cause they are two completely different markets. 

If someone here is trying to set up a picture that fits his personal narrative, it's you.

7 hours ago, Arokhantos said:

If they make edge better then chrome i gladly start using edge, should't be to hard considering chrome is extremely laggy lately, even firefox runs better.

Edge already is better, minus extension support

9 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Edge already is better, minus extension support

It is. But I use Chrome as my main browser, and I don't want to have to switch browsers just because of Cortana. Unlike a lot of people, I actually use Cortana. That said, it's mostly for the weather, math and such so I think I'll be okay.

But Bing. Eww.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

8 hours ago, MilkJugg24 said:

And in other news. Company sued for making users use a program embedded in their OS. 

You know, Cortana is optional

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

And that's one of the reasons I disabled and don't use Cortana. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

< presses windows key on windows 10, classic shell pops up, hmm closes it, ignores this thread

Never use cortana anyway, only female digital assistant I'll ever need or want is one that can jerk me off.  End of.

2 hours ago, Kherm said:

You know, Cortana is optional

And to this day, I never understood why anyone bothered using her.

Spoiler

When Windows 10 is free its because we are the product. Thats fine if you know what to turn off to minimize what gets sent back to MS, but when they force their shitty products like bing and edge down our throats if we want to use cortana, thats it for me. There is a reason i upgraded to windows 7.

16 hours ago, Kherm said:

Holy fucking shit. How is selecting my own default browser and search engine considered a Hack for Cortana?

As the quote above says you can still set your own default browser and search engine. Cortana has always used edge and bing for her searches. Microsoft is implementing patches to stop the hacks that people were using to get around that restriction.

Damn it Microsoft, you always find a way to fuck up

2 hours ago, Markus said:

When Windows 10 is free its because we are the product. Thats fine if you know what to turn off to minimize what gets sent back to MS, but when they force their shitty products like bing and edge down our throats if we want to use cortana, thats it for me. There is a reason i upgraded to windows 7.

Windows 10 isn't free.

A windows 10 key costs like 100 dollars