Is my PSU going bad/dead?

Giddyguy

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 which I upgraded with an HD 7970 and Corsair TX650 PSU (bought used on /r/hardwareswap). I've been using this since January for gaming + schoolwork and last week started Folding@Home.

On Monday when i got back home I found my computer (which i had left on idle) was off with the Dell power button flashing orange and wouldn't turn on that night. So i disconnected the power plug and left it off overnight,

and the next day when i plugged it back in turned on. I was able to play some games and it seemed to have been fixed.

Then yesterday while i was web browsing the computer crashed (straight power off) and went back into the orange blinking mode. I looked online and some people said to reseat the ram. So i disconnected the PC,

blew off dust and reseated the RAM. I was able to power it on after that and then ran Windows Memory test tool which said there where no issues. About 7 minutes later the computer crashed again.

I looked up the blinking code, it was 2-2, and on the Dell Manual it says it is a Motherboard, PSU, or PSU cable failure. So the question is: is my PSU going bad/dead? I have a hunch that thats the issue because disconnecting

the power cord has fixed it but just want to make sure before i go out to purchase a new one.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

If you can get to the boot menu (F12) you can run a diagnostic on system components, see if it gives you any more useful info.

It does sound like a power issue, or could be CPU I suppose. Those stock coolers on the business machines are not made for constant load.

7 minutes ago, PalladianPD said:

If you can get to the boot menu (F12) you can run a diagnostic on system components, see if it gives you any more useful info.

It does sound like a power issue, or could be CPU I suppose. Those stock coolers on the business machines are not made for constant load.

No i can't even post, the fans don't spin at all. And I doubt temps were an issue, I was monitoring them while on load, CPU reached 73 degrees at max which is fine afaik.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

1 hour ago, DEcobra11 said:

Try a PSU from some other PC in your house for a while (take GPU out if needed)

unfortunately I'm in college and don't have access to all my tools and spare computer parts :(

Delltopia