Would a mechanical keyboard be worth it for me?

Lil_Pecky

The last couple of days I've been thinking if I'd want to get my first mechanical keyboard, but I honestly don't know if it'd be worth it.

My current keyboard is a Sharkoon Skiller Pro, and I'm rather happy with it. The only thing I don't like about it is how the keys sometimes feel rather stiff. Other than that, it  has dedicated multimedia keys (not on the F-keys), it's a full-size keyboard (which I prefer) a it has a nice blue backlight. It also has macro keys, but I never use them since I never found a use for them (if you have tips what I could use them for, let me know).

Is the slightly more satisfying typing experience worth the ~€100? I mean, most of the features my keyboard has (multimedia keys, macro keys, backlight) seem to be missing from the cheaper mechanical keyboards so I find it difficult to justify the price.

As for what I'd use it for; mainly just typing and programming. Occasionally gaming, but I mostly play racing or sport games, which I use my controller for so I don't need my keyboard for those.

Do you think it'd be worth it for me?

Go to your local computer store (ncix/frys/microcenter/newegg) and try one of the keyboards out. They typically have them on display so that's the risk-free way to try one out. 

If you do end up getting a mechanical keyboard, I'd recommend anything from Logitech. (I prefer their Cherry MX keyboards, but Romer G switches are pretty good as well)

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

4 minutes ago, Ziltoid said:

and I'm rather happy with it

then dont bother changing it yet xD

4 minutes ago, Ziltoid said:

if you have tips what I could use them for, let me know

key combinations like ctrl+v or ctrl+c

or make it type a sentence lol

or make it use skills in a fixed pattern in games ;) the possibilities are endless

my thoughts on mechanical keyboard: good to have, a luxury item, if the money can be used to improve your gaming rig then do that lol

i got my cherry blues as a gift, its fun to type on it (especially when im writing programs and what not)

but is it worth the price? thats totally up to you. i think its worth it because i had 0 keyboards to begin with lol

but if you already have one and is happy with it, i dont see why you should change it yet ;) 

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

You have to test it, thre is different kind of switches, so it would be good to go to the store only to feel the different kind of switches. Some are too noisy for my taste.

I am personally looking for a non-mechanical keyboard, I want macro key to copy/paste as I do it a lot for work.

Yeah, test out other switches, but mechanical is definitely worth the premium. Between the reliability, and (for me at least) the vastly superior feel, mechanical switches is the only thing I'll type on when it comes to my setup.

ASU

I'm shopping for a mech keyboard right now. Would definitely recommend going to a store and trying them out. I went to microcenter and immediately hated MX reds and blacks, and liked blues and browns. 

There are also a number of non-cherry MX mech boards out there that (despite some disagreement) are supposed to be very good for less money. 

15 hours ago, mhonor said:

I'm shopping for a mech keyboard right now. Would definitely recommend going to a store and trying them out. I went to microcenter and immediately hated MX reds and blacks, and liked blues and browns. 

There are also a number of non-cherry MX mech boards out there that (despite some disagreement) are supposed to be very good for less money. 

Agreed, reds and blacks are too similar to membrane switches, they feel so mushy. I don't think reds are worth paying the premium for over a membrane switch from a quality company. Tactile switches all the way.

ASU

Well he has to know if he wants a mechanical keyboard before he cares about switches lol... @Ziltoid I use my macro keys as shortcuts to launch programs, but you can also use them as keystrokes, specific keys if you don't like the placement of a certain key (say page up, page down, or print screen), and other stuff. watch some youtube videos on mechanical vs membrane keyboards, and all the different key switches for mechanical keyboards. and of course go to a store and use one. you can get a logitech g710 or 710+ for ~$80 US.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

In case you need it, here is a guide to the types of Cherry MX switches.

My personal choice would be one of Corsair's keyboards, like the K95 (which has extra macro keys and multimedia keys) with brown switches, because they give a textile click, but they are still quiet.

It all depends on your current keyboard. Are you happy with it? If not then it maybe worth an upgrade. But if your current keyboard is fine then i would save yourself some money and buy something else for your setup.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for your answers. I've decided to wait for a bit, since my current keyboard is sufficient enough. I'm more interested in buying a new case (and/or PSU), since they are of a lot less quality than my current keyboard.