Linus' First Gaming PC Build

23 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/um7
NCIX: http://bit.ly/1ez6i4K

Today is a very special day folks... The PC that started it all!! This is the recreation of the very first PC that Linus EVER built.

All the PAX East videos, and now another 'regular' video?

Thanks Nick!

Sig under construction.

That motherboard ... i feel the pain when trying to find x79 motherboard which is not over 300 dollars. 

Magical Pineapples

But can it run crysis. haha. ah. the term cable management didn't exist back in the day when we crammed IDE cables in the back of the hard drives.

So this is what got it started o-o

If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

38 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/um7
NCIX: http://bit.ly/1ez6i4K

Today is a very special day folks... The PC that started it all!! This is the recreation of the very first PC that Linus EVER built.

The source of what made me get so many F's in class. That's where it all started. Holy sh*t.

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

That Video bought so many memories of my childhood! <3 I still have my Gateway Pentium 3 PC with 4mb of ram and a HDD of 2gb. :D it had Windows 95, Then I upgraded the ram to 8mb and added a second 2GB HDD. I also upgraded it Windows 98. <3. Ah, so many memories. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Great video. Probably my favourite LTT video in a while.

Almost identical to my first system too, except it was a XP1800. But very similar era.

I completely forgotten about setting the hard drives to master and slave, man, that brings back memories of trying to work out what to do.

24 minutes ago, JPotze said:

But can it run crysis. haha. ah. the term cable management didn't exist back in the day when we crammed IDE cables in the back of the hard drives.

I IDE cables were such a bother...

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

This video legitimately took me back to high school and working in a PC repair store back when windows ME came out (I'm old, deal with it), I hated those damn Socket A chips, and longed for them to bring back Slot A chips, those were a dream to install, but a total pain in the but for any custom cooling, we didn't do custom cooling one of the many reason that place went out business.

ohh Linus, you had it easier than when I was in school, my first pc was a NEC 433 CD3 which came with a 486 processor to run my first experience of DOS 5 to control this nifty new thing called windows 3.1! My first pc games I ever played on it was Myst, Phantasmagoria, and The 7th Guest!  Ahhh.. those were the days when a hard drive spin ran louder than any fan you could put in a pc and games came on this magical new disk they called a CD...  Hey! I found an old ebay listing of one:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEC-READY-433CD3-486-WITH-36MB-and-NO-HARD-DRIVE-/262224419802?hash=item3d0dcb1bda%3Ag%3A0qMAAOSw5dNWitPo&nma=true&si=P3wT6umz19YEiL5%252FunYw%252BC%252F16Wc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

My first PC was the Intel 486DX at 33MHz and like 2 or 4MB of RAM and like a 1GB HDD running MS-DOS then Windows 3.1

The second PC was the Intel Pentium 166MHz with MMX technology with 32MB of EDO RAM and a Quantum Fireball 2.1GB HDD and a Diamond Graphics card with 4MB of EDO burst VRAM running Windows 95b version playing Need For Speed 2

The third PC was the Pentium III Coppermine running at 533MHz and has like 128-256MB of SDRAM and Creative Geforce Pro GPU that uses 32MB of DDR RAM. Running Windows 98 That PC blew up on me upon bootup and died.

After the PC died, I swapped out to the AMD Thunderbird 1GHz running 256-512MB of SDRAM and the same Geforce GPU and play Mechwarrior 4

Then I got the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ CPU system and also a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with both PC running Geforce FX5200 128MB GPUs and the Maxtor 60GB, Western Digital 40GB and 250GB HDDs

My dad got the Core 2 Duo E7300 PC but has since changed to the AMD Opteron Quad Core PC which i got from my old workplace and swapped to the current Intel i5 4460 CPU system

As for me, I got the Core 2 Duo system but the mobo died and got another hand me down of the P45 mobo and Q6600

So now where I am

My dad got Intel I5 4460 rig which i build for him

and I got two LGA775 systems

One is Q6600

the other is QX6800

and guess what, the IDE drives from the P4 and Athlon XP are still in my current rig

Maxtor is still kicking and alive

and so is the Western Digital 40GB and 250GB

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

59 minutes ago, Bicketybam said:

My first PC that I owned myself was 486 DX2-66 with 8Mb of ram, 14" CRT and 540Mb HDD.   Of course I'm an old bastard but that cost $2500AU in 1994 :)   I think calculators are faster then that now :P

we are both old bastards coz i also used the 486 DX CPU as our first PC

i think the price of my PC was way higher like 4 to 5 grand for the system

and the Pentium was like 5k range as well but breaks down a lot

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 hour ago, Tedster said:

All the PAX East videos, and now another 'regular' video?

Thanks Nick!

We've been creating content like mad lately!!! Such a busy time.

I just hope you guys enjoy it :)

2 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We've been creating content like mad lately!!! Such a busy time.

I just hope you guys enjoy it :)

I at least sure am enjoying it all!

Sig under construction.

My first PC was an Athlon XP processor too, I think it was 2800+ with 512MB of RAM, 80GB harddrive and Nvidia MX 440 GPU came with monstrosity of 17" CRT monitor.

It is crazy how much my parents paid for that back in 2001/2, an eye watering £2000 :o

Man, this brings back memories. My third rig was similar to his(same monitor and CPU). Below are my first two rigs(the monitor on the left is actually hooked to my third rig, the PC on the left actually barely runs windows 98). I still keep my old PCs so no buying overpriced shit on ebay for me if I want to play on an old machine. 

9d8b74abf3_l.jpg

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

22 minutes ago, Progressor said:

Man, this brings back memories. My third rig was similar to his(same monitor and CPU). Below are my first two rigs(the monitor on the left is actually hooked to my third rig, the PC on the left actually barely runs windows 98). I still keep my old PCs so no buying overpriced shit on ebay for me if I want to play on an old machine. 

9d8b74abf3_l.jpg

Accolade's Test Drive!

That game must have had the awesomest theme song of any game of that era. Except maybe Ski or Die...

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

Anyone else see huge compression artifacts in the video (4K)? (for example @ 4:46, on the fins)

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

My very first gaming PC has a slot 1 Penitum 3 800MHz, 128MB SD-RAM, 50X CD-ROM, 56K PCI modem, WD Caviar 20GB IDE HDD,  ATX case with 230w PSU, ATi Rage XL 2MB AGP graphic card. 17" CRT monitor, HP printer, Windows Me, and basic keyboard and mouse.Upgraded the graphic card to ATI Rage 128 32MB, so I can play Need For Speed High Stakes. :D

Through out its life, I've upgraded here and there like adding more ram, a DVD-ROM, CD-Burner, etc. It served me quite well and lasted right to the point when Intel just released their dual core Pentium D.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Thanks for the memories Linus... Those heatsink clips were a nightmare. I had an AMD FX chip and a GeForce 6800 agp graphics card, what a beast :)   

I think I still have my Abit NF7-S V2 laying around here somewhere. At the time I had an Athlon XP 2400M+ (mobile chips ran cooler then the desktop versions) with a Thermalright SP97C Cooler and a Sapphire 9600XT GPU. Good times.