Difference between Corsair CX Green and Grey PSU?

Romano
Go to solution Solved by quan289,
40 minutes ago, Romano said:

I coudln't find anything in the corsair site, only that the grey model is 2015 model but does it make it any better? its more expensive, it has better components now? or in what way is different?

The 430, 500, and 600 watt model of the CXv3 / M models (the one with the Green logo) are DSA-III based unit from CWT. They are based on an old group regulated design. The 750w and 850w models are CWT PUQ-B which utilized DC-DC for the minor rails which will yield better voltage stability than the lower wattage counterpart. All of which are warrant for 3 years and are rated for 30C.

The new gray labeled 450, 550, 650 models are a custom design from CWT (essentially a cost down version of the RM 450-650) are DC-DC regulated, 40C rated, black cables, and a 5 year warranty. The 750 and 850 is still based on the same platform before but has a higher rated bridge rectifier along with all of the changes mentioned with the lower wattage models

What's the difference between the grey model: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B72VXE6/ref=twister_B01DLKRLAW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and the green model? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ALYORA4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3KNG7MP70UETK&coliid=I3BXWS395842TP&psc=1

I coudln't find anything in the corsair site, only that the grey model is 2015 model but does it make it any better? its more expensive, it has better components now? or in what way is different?

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

What do you mean? They're the same thing. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I think op wanted to link to the CX 450M which is indeed grey

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

they look different and have different price too

EDIT: sorry seems like amazon gives you the same link even if you select a different model, I was talking about the green and the gray one, 450M Gray

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

you linked the same thing lol

anyway i think the grey model is the newer model and its more reliable than the green one, if memory served me right

the rated temp of the grey one is 40c, while the green one is 30c or something along those lines, correct me if im wrong

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

12 minutes ago, Romano said:

What's the difference between the grey model: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ALYORA4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3KNG7MP70UETK&coliid=I3BXWS395842TP&psc=1

and the green model? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ALYORA4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3KNG7MP70UETK&coliid=I3BXWS395842TP&psc=1

Great question! The green CX are old models and are really crappy. The new grey models apparently are really good, like really good compared with the old ones.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Great question! The green CX are old models and are really crappy. The new grey models apparently are really good, like really good compared with the old ones.

@STRMfrmXMN- is this for real?

40 minutes ago, Romano said:

The 430, 500, and 600 watt model of the CXv3 / M models (the one with the Green logo) are DSA-III based unit from CWT. They are based on an old group regulated design. The 750w and 850w models are CWT PUQ-B which utilized DC-DC for the minor rails which will yield better voltage stability than the lower wattage counterpart. All of which are warrant for 3 years and are rated for 30C.

The new gray labeled 450, 550, 650 models are a custom design from CWT (essentially a cost down version of the RM 450-650) are DC-DC regulated, 40C rated, black cables, and a 5 year warranty. The 750 and 850 is still based on the same platform before but has a higher rated bridge rectifier along with all of the changes mentioned with the lower wattage models

10 hours ago, Aereldor said:

@STRMfrmXMN- is this for real?

Yeah, the new ones are not bad. According to quan they're sort of like a Seasonic S12 but perform slightly worse and/or are built slightly worse. Nonetheless, can recommend them now.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 1 year later...
34 minutes ago, SidharthAGupta said:

SO my question is,IS my psu a CWT variant or an Great wall variant,and also from where you have found this information that you have provided.(just to be sure)??

CX 450 WHITE LABEL great wall.jpg

The IMO superior Great Wall version.

you can identify those easily with the Heatsinks. The Great Wall has the classical two heatsinks with TO220 things on the secondary.

The CWT version has SMD parts with soldered on Heatsinks and look like a cost down version of the CWT GPS wich looks like this:
DSC_4476Andere.md.jpg

(not the same, very different but also kinda similar)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 2/14/2018 at 3:18 PM, Stefan Payne said:

The IMO superior Great Wall version.

you can identify those easily with the Heatsinks. The Great Wall has the classical two heatsinks with TO220 things on the secondary.

The CWT version has SMD parts with soldered on Heatsinks and look like a cost down version of the CWT GPS wich looks like this:

in your opinion which is of the two psu's is better? the GW Variant or the is CWT variant of the CX450(white labeled)?

thanks in advance

I like the Great Wall more because of Supervisior IC that has OCP on all rails and bigger heatsinks of the secondary.

But that's just my oppionion from what I see on the pictures. How it is in real life, I don't know, don't have any of those here...

And nobody has tested either of those either (well, the Great Wall Plattform on other units was tested, just not the Bronze version of the CX)...

36 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And nobody has tested either of those

For the GW version of CX 650: https://club.dns-shop.ru/hardware/Обзор-и-тестирование-блока-питания-Corsair-CX650/

GW version of CX 450: https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=VUm

GW version of CX 550: https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=CUj

My father and I been using the grey labeled version of this PSU since June 2016 and its great daily use of 8 hours. I'm not sure which of the two versions we got but I love that thing, specially for budget builds the semi-modular feature is blessing, he's using stock cables I'm using a white sleeved kit

image.png.e035449f5ea4d71f9c39654148bbf5df.png

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC

17 hours ago, Rexper said:

Fan RPM: 818 on the 450W version is rather bad...