AMD May Not Be Trying To Compete With Nvidia

13 hours ago, FirstArmada said:

I personally think this is better, AMD who in my opinion make better low to mid range cards stick to only making low to mid range cards 

I really don't think that's going to bode well for them. Because that means they will AGAIN be working under abysmal margins. The high-end is where you make the bulk of the revenue. Low-mid is where you dump your lower yields to break even. It's not a secret that the millions of chips they're shipping to Microsoft and Sony aren't really yielding them a high margin. 

I've said this a couple of times already on this forum. If AMD again saturates the market with "meh" products they're done pretty soon. I really hope they stop attempting to be the cheap alternative and stop showing such utter lack of faith in their products. Besides, the market is screaming for high-end products to run their VR games at high details at 90 fps. We need basically 2-3x the performance we have now to continue having current fidelity at VR framerates.

50 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Well they need to bring it sooner, the earlier they kick Nvidia's ass the better.

AMD releases their flagships towards the end of the year, it has always been like that.

5970, 6970, 7970, R9 290X, R9 285* --> Vega

Nvidia releases their high-end first. Both companies do this to avoid competition and get as many $$$ from two types of customers (low and high-end)

*The Fury X is an exception, it was supposed to be released the year before so they have the R9 285 to fill in the gap which was also released in Q4.

The first line is R9 285 which was released on September 2014, the second line is Vega and it looks like the same schedule as years before.amdmap.png

Nothing will be changed.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

10 minutes ago, ApolloFury said:

AMD releases their flagships towards the end of the year, it has always been like that.

5970, 6970, 7970, R9 290X, R9 285* --> Vega

Nvidia releases their high-end first. Both companies do this to avoid competition and get as many $$$ from two types of customers (low and high-end)

*The Fury X is an exception, it was supposed to be released the year before so they have the R9 285 to fill in the gap which was also released in Q4.

The first line is R9 285 which was released on September 2014, the second line is Vega and it looks like the same schedule as years before.

-snippity snap yo-

Nothing will be changed.

Fak. I wanted an R9 Nano successor this Summer but I guess I'll have to just get a Nano since I'm not waiting until the end of the year. Nano is still a bitchin' card anyways.

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Fak. I wanted an R9 Nano successor this Summer but I guess I'll have to just get a Nano since I'm not waiting until the end of the year. Nano is still a bitchin' card anyways.

7.5K posts and still haven't got the etiquette to delete pictures from posts.

GG

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

7.5K posts and still haven't got the etiquette to delete pictures from posts.

GG

Fuck me, sorry. I just got up from bed lol

If this will be true, then what about nVidia? Will they increase the prices of their high-end GPU's through the cosmos?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Except for the fact that this week they announced the Fury Pro Duo, seems like an odd move for a company who are "giving up on the high end sector" don't you think?

Pro duo is targeted at VR devs 

3 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Pro duo is targeted at VR devs 

In the same way the Titan series was "not intended for home gamers".

They don't release a dual Fury X card into the wild and not expect the top tier enthusiasts to pick one up.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I do agree on how they excel in different markets. 

I know AMD was never really competing with high end Nvidia cards even though they would release them too. 

But now if AMD abandons the high end market once for all Nvidia will have no competitor and we know that's terrible for everybody (consumer, prosumer, Nvidia itself). :(

It would be very interesting if for gaming department the following  happened: 

Nvidia only making GTX X60, X70, X80, XTi/Titan

AMD only making X50 X60, X70, X80

So in gaming market they would only compete with one card X80 (AMD) and X60 (Nvidia). 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

9 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

Polaris isn't meant to be high-end cards, that is Vega.

9 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

As a game developer I will be highly disappointed if we stop getting high-end products that supports open-standards such as GPUOpen or FreenSync.

Quite possible or as mentiond earlier Vega could be another card or two that doesn't compete with Nvidia but instead another card in between what Nvidia offers much like the Fury X is now at least in Canada it is about a 100$ cheaper then a 980 Ti , but i guess we wont know until we get closer to its launch 

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

In the same way the Titan series was "not intended for home gamers".

They don't release a dual Fury X card into the wild and not expect the top tier enthusiasts to pick one up.

Dont know why an average consumer would its cheaper to get 2 Fury's separately 

6 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

People spending $1500 on a GPU are not average consumers though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The point I was making in the video is that AMD could have released a card to compete with GP104.  It could have had HBM, possibly even HBM2, and it could have cost the same as what the GTX 1080 is gonna cost (think north of $600).

It would have been faster, but most of you would still have bought the 1080 instead.  This has been seen time and time again in the past with cards like the 560 Ti vs the 6950 and the 460 vs the 6850.  Both times where AMD was faster yet completely outsold anyway.  The 460 outsold the 6850 by 4-1.

AMD is a company out to make money.  Nvidia is too and they make more money by selling to their high-end buyers over and over.  680, 690, Titan, 780, 780 Ti, Titan Z, 980, Titan X, 980 Ti...now the 1080 another 25% faster than the 980 Ti.

People just keep lapping up those 30% increases at more $$$ but that's a market that will eventually run out of legs.  It's unsustainable.

Nvidia is bottlenecked by wafer allocation at TSMC so they have to pick and choose which cards get made first.  Those gigantic P100 Teslas at $10K a piece are way ahead of any gamer GPU and using up wafers like nobodies business.  AMD will gain a lot of market share in mobile while Nvidia does this, it's really very simple strategy.

8 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

I never owned one but wouldn't dual GPU (390x2 or whatever the latest one is called) act as single card so you could avoid any problems that crossfire has ?

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 minutes ago, Adored said:

The point I was making in the video is that AMD could have released a card to compete with GP104.  It could have had HBM, possibly even HBM2, and it could have cost the same as what the GTX 1080 is gonna cost (think north of $600).

AMD will release a card to compete with GP104. Your error is in the assumption that they won't. 

49 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

We need a 3rd player on the market. Kinda like Green team, Red team and a Yellow team or something.

Intel or Samsung could do so. It would bring more game optimisation problems which would suck but doesn't everything suck at first these days ?! :(

11 minutes ago, Thony said:

I never owned one but wouldn't dual GPU (390x2 or whatever the latest one is called) act as single card so you could avoid any problems that crossfire has ?

No, it's still crossfire.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

AMD will release a card to compete with GP104. Your error is in the assumption that they won't. 

Really?  Funny how we haven't heard about anything like that from AMD.  If you think Vega is competing with GP104 you're very mistaken.  Vega will thrash GP104 but it'll come much later as well.

8 minutes ago, Adored said:

Really?  Funny how we haven't heard about anything like that from AMD.  If you think Vega is competing with GP104 you're very mistaken.  Vega will thrash GP104 but it'll come much later as well.

Doesn't matter, AMD hasn't compared their upcoming GPUs directly to anything from Nvidia. And Nvidia hasn't even confirmed the GP104, all they've said is something about GP100 for enterprise use next year.

14 hours ago, FirstArmada said:

I personally think this is better, AMD who in my opinion make better low to mid range cards stick to only making low to mid range cards and Nvidia who clearly make the better fastest single GPU solutions should stick to only that this way their is less new GPUs to make every year therefore more focus given on the 2-4ish GPUs they do make which is better for the consumer at the end of the day

Yes, because having only one choice for the high end is always good.

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

We need a 3rd player on the market. Kinda like Green team, Red team and a Yellow team or something.

Intel. They have the engineers and their own fabs. It would be glorious to see Intel and nVidia beating the shit outta each other with AMD providing solid competition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

52 minutes ago, Adored said:

52 minutes ago, Adored said:

AMD is a company out to make money.  Nvidia is too and they make more money by selling to their high-end buyers over and over.  680, 690, Titan, 780, 780 Ti, Titan Z, 980, Titan X, 980 Ti...now the 1080 another 25% faster than the 980 Ti.

People just keep lapping up those 30% increases at more $$$ but that's a market that will eventually run out of legs.  It's unsustainable.

Nvidia is bottlenecked by wafer allocation at TSMC so they have to pick and choose which cards get made first.  Those gigantic P100 Teslas at $10K a piece are way ahead of any gamer GPU and using up wafers like nobodies business.  AMD will gain a lot of market share in mobile while Nvidia does this, it's really very simple strategy.

Pretty sure Polaris 10 will do exactly that. I think people are underestimating Polaris.

HBM2 is still under initial production. I would hate for AMD (or NVidia for that matter) to be in the same situation as Fiji.

Not sure about the wafer argument. TSMC lost all of AMD's business to GloFo and Samsung, which should clear up a lot of production ressources. However the new 16nm FF+ node could very well be very limited in production still.

However we pretty much know that GP100 (Big Pascal with HBM2) and AMD's Vega (with HBM2) should be somewhat equal and both performance and launch time (dec 16 - jan 17 or so).

That being said, I enjoy your videos and look forward to you getting both next gen gpu's for testing.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Thony said:

Dont believe so i think it acts as 2 separate cards as it was by a AIB partner so no special drivers just standard 390 drivers 

1 hour ago, Adored said:

It is also possible that Vega is high end but not at the same price point as Nvidia's card maybe in between 1080 and 1080 Ti or something like that or it might even be more power full but i doubt AMD will be making top tier card like 980 Ti or Titan X until Navi

The fanboyism in this thread is insane. When has Nvidia or AMD said they are making big chips? Yup that is right early 2017. Guess what neither is going to own the other from what we know now. Stop it with the fanboyism and see we have no real info yet outside of a little bit of early polaris. Its anyones game right now.