Why don't these percentages add up as usual? Coding wrong?

Aleksbgbg

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE BECAUSE THE POST LOOKS LONG, ITS NOT! :D

Untitled.pngHere is a snippet of some code I did in python.

Let me give context:

This program is to calculate some important random stuff received in a game, it's basically knowing what you will happen and when - a bit of cheating, but then again - they do give us the percentages chance.

'probability' is a random number from 1 to 100. This is to represent the %-age chance of receiving that item out of a random item box (I'll call it that).

Now, with those if statements, I'm checking the %-age band compared to the random number. If it is within range, then that item is given.

These are the real life percentages:

- 1% for "log disks"

- 3% for "repair credits"

- 4% for "nano hull"

- 12% for "xenomit"

- 13% for "gg part"

- 67% for ammo

These add up to 100%. However, in my code, the ranges leave the last item (ammo) with only a 63% chance - why - where is that 4% gone?? What am I calculating wrong? Please tell me how to do this xD

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

I think the range() function does not include the stopping value. So, you're not counting 5,10,36, or 100.

Your ranges are wrong.

You have added an extra 1% to the first 4 ranges. For example you say Repair Credits should be 3% but then the range includes number 2, 3, 4 and 5 which would be 4%.

You shouldn't use range like that, it's a huge waste.

You can check if a number is in a range by doing

if x == 1:
	pass
elif 2 <= x <= 5:
	pass
elif 6 <= x <= 10:
	pass

1 hour ago, Brenz said:

Your ranges are wrong.

You have added an extra 1% to the first 4 ranges. For example you say Repair Credits should be 3% but then the range includes number 2, 3, 4 and 5 which would be 4%.

Right that's it. Thanks! Was so simple, couldn't see it. Kept doing 5 - 2 = 3 :D

58 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

You shouldn't use range like that, it's a huge waste.

You can check if a number is in a range by doing

if x == 1:
	pass
elif 2 <= x <= 5:
	pass
elif 6 <= x <= 10:
	pass

Thanks! Didn't know about this! :)

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold ||