Vido W8X Review, Windows 10 tablet!

YouTube Video Review

Vido W8X Review

Introduction.

This review is about the Vido W8X, One of the lesser known brands of chinese electronics in Shenzhen. Also an few dollars more expensieve as its competitors making it an less sold device. Today we are going to find out.

Price and specs.

At the moment the Vido W8X switches from owner for $99.89.   It has the following specifications

CPU: Intel Atom x5-Z8300
RAM: 2GB
ROM/STORAGE: 32GB
SCREEN: 8.0 inch 1280 x 800 IPS
BATTERY: 4200mAh
Dual cameras
Bluetooth 4.0
HDMI + Headphone + Micro USB + TF

Design and build quality.

IMG_20160424_131508
Screen protector is scratched by me.

IMG_20160424_131415

The first thing you can notice is the nice detail with white and black color. holding the tablet towards yourself gives the impression its entirely black. While holding it the way around makes it look all white. I think this is an nice design feature.

IMG_20160424_131931
Left to right: Cube iwork8, Chuwi Vi8 Plus, Vido W8X

As you can see the tablet is pretty much plastic. The design is not very high end material. However this tablet has the best screen / bezel ratio!

The white Cube iwork8 above. With the same 8 inch screen size. Takes more space.
The white Cube iwork8 above. With the same 8 inch screen size. Takes more space.

Another thing I like about this model is the native windows touch button. The chuwi has an more inconvenient button at the top that doesn't really do the job. As for the thickness its about the same as the rest.

IMG_20160424_131721

Inputs and outputs.

Another distinct design choice is the labeling of the inputs and outputs on the backside of the tablet.

Labels showing the input and output ports.
Labels showing the input and output ports.

These labels might come in handy but can look an bit chaotic.  But so does the chinese text on the back.

First thing I wanted to talk about is the speaker. Like the other models it has an single speaker on the back. The difference between these is that the speaker of the Vido W8X is not just loud. But also without much distortion. But as you would expect for an single speaker in an device like this. It does not sound that great. There is no bass and pretty much only high sound gets blown out the small hole on the back. See the video for comparison.

Another thing worth mentioning is that its TF supports up to 128GB. while the Chuwi plus supports up to 64GB. and the Cube iwork 8 does just 32GB.  Also the HDMI out worked without any problems. Ive used an microSDXC class 1, 64GB EVO from samsung.  It got very good results and has not have an bottleneck using it.

Micro HDMI out and TF card speed test.
Micro HDMI out and TF card speed test.

The camera as always are the 2.0mp modules. Almost not worth mentioning. Even with the not so bad design this tablet has on the backside camera. The results speak for itsself.

WIN_20160421_11_54_41_Pro-150x150.jpg
WIN_20160424_20_48_35_Pro-150x150.jpg

I would not do anything more then use skype with this. It has loads of artifacts.

Screen.

For the screen must be the best thing about this device. Its very color accurate and doesn't have the yellowish tint the Chuwi devices have.  The minimun brightness is nice and low while the maximum brightness is really bright.  The cube iwork 8 also has an nice screen but does not go as bright or dimmed as the Vido W8X. Also after an few weeks of traveling with me the screen got light bleeding spots. I think this is because of cheaper glue. I hopefully write another post later with more details and update's on old devices.

100% brightness and spots on the cube iwork8
100% brightness and spots on the cube iwork8
Left to right: Vido W8X, Chuwi Vi8 Plus, Cube iwork8
Left to right: Vido W8X, Chuwi Vi8 Plus, Cube iwork8

Also worth noticing is the 10 touch points on the screen. The cube has half. making this tablet more accurate with regonizing touch. Or atleast it should be. I haven't noticed any diffrence myself jet.

Battery life.

This is one of the more dissapointing things about this tablet. Even with its not small 4200 mAh battery. It only lasted for 3H, 49M, 10S. The lowest of scores.  Even under the iwork 8 with only 3300mAh. that scored 4H, 3M, 41S.  The test is playing an youtube video of nyan cat over and over agian till it shutsdown.  Even with this bad score almost 4 hour with screen on time is not bad. Depending what you are using the tablet for. I often read books on it for about 2 hours an day. then recharge overnight.

batttimebatty

Performance.

As you could witness above the TF card slot performance is quite good. But not just that. The entire flash storage of this device is the fastest of all competition. You really do notice the diffrence in boot speed. Here are the benchmarks.

Capture

For the CPU its the same as previous and other tablets. So is the geekbench score.

scoregeek

It might get an bit warm to the touch in the back aswell with heavy useage. Almost all tablets got this problem with the quite powerfull cpu in an small device. Most people however won't try to play much games on this device.

The WiFi speed is okay with about 55 mbits up and down. But the connection range is actually really good. It only loses 1/3 of the WiFi arch.  Meaning it could go even further.

Language and default installation.

IMG_20160420_154032
Notice pro/home and touch points.

This tablet comes with a pre-installed version of Windows Home. not Pro. However. the diffrence between pro or home is worth nothing for tablets. It lacks functions that you would not need on this tablet.  The version it bringes is also one of the latest updates.

It does not offer you any "welcome to windows" settings like the Chuwi does. Meaning when you turn it on. it already is configured with an user and various options. Windows is properly activated. This also does mean it has the chinese search engine as default and some windows UI labels are still chinese, as seen on shutdown. The rest is english. Time is also set in chinese. These UI labels and time you can change in the settings.

IMG_20160420_151408-150x150.jpg
photo_2016-04-24_19-50-52-150x150.jpg

Useage / Conclusion.

I would recommand to use this tablet in Windows "tablet" modus for the non power users. making it easier to use for everyday checking news or weather or reading books.

graphicss

Pro's:

Screen. Flash Storage. Size.

Con's:

Battery. Price. Language.

You can buy the tablet here