EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classifided X 2, should i do it???

dreamhacking

Good morning guys,

I am able to buy 2 BRAND NEW EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified for $700 CAD each (they retail in store for $1000 CAD each now) 

They have warranty... but should I buy them now?? It is almost time for new release on new generation GPU.

Thanks

1 minute ago, dreamhacking said:

Unless you really, really need them now, wait.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Unless you really, really need them now, wait.

what i concern is ... the price is only $700 each, and basically i save $300 on each card ... 

9 hours ago, dreamhacking said:

what i concern is ... the price is only $700 each, and basically i save $300 on each card ... 

Polaris 10 is supposed to cost 350 USD to and preform like a 980 Ti

thats a superb deal, go for it if zou want to spend that kind of cash and need that kind of horsepower.

Its not like nvidia just suddenly gonna give you 980ti performance for 500$, the 1080 is probably gonna perform like a 980ti for the usuall 600-700 usd launch price

if the last couple of years are anything to go by.

1 minute ago, FirstArmada said:

Polaris 10 is supposed to cost 300 USD to and preform like a 980 Ti

if this is what happening. It will be sick for that cost !!! 

I probably would. Great deal, and keep in mind you could probably sell them on Kijiji or Craigslist after the new cards come out for around the same price as you bought them if you want to upgrade. I don't know if it applies in Canada, but EVGA also has a step up program, so if new cards come out and you want to upgrade, you can send them to EVGA and have the price you paid count towards the next purchase.

I like good humans and good food

I'd say no. 

1 minute ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

thats a superb deal, go for it if zou want to spend that kind of cash and need that kind of horsepower.

Its not like nvidia just suddenly gonna give you 980ti performance for 500$, the 1080 is probably gonna perform like a 980ti for the usuall 600-700 usd launch price

if the last couple of years are anything to go by.

They gave 780 Ti performance with a 970 though... 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yeah wait for this magic card that everyone thinks is gonna be 300 bucks lol id get the cards your looking at, amd  didn't impress with their last set of magic cards either

if this is what happening. It will be sick for that cost !!! 

It is just rumors at this point so take it with a grain of salt but AMD has said it can play games at 1440P at 60 FPS 

2 minutes ago, colinreay said:

I probably would. Great deal, and keep in mind you could probably sell them on Kijiji or Craigslist after the new cards come out for around the same price as you bought them if you want to upgrade. I don't know if it applies in Canada, but EVGA also has a step up program, so if new cards come out and you want to upgrade, you can send them to EVGA and have the price you paid count towards the next purchase.

We do have the Step-Up program as well. 

2 minutes ago, colinreay said:

Step up program is only for GPUs purchased within 90 days of a new card release

Heck yah. $700 usd is what they retail for. That's a good deal

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

1 minute ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Heck yah. $700 usd is what they retail for. That's a good deal

Thanks for confirmation. 

Do it!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

Trust me DON'T DO IT. I bought a 780ti a month before maxwell launched for $637 USD, the 980 launched at $550. You'll get better performance for most likely less than you would if you bought those now. Also, unless you're pushing 4k or multiple monitors you don't exactly need two 980ti's. Just saying, I mean you probably already know that :p. 

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

8 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Polaris 10 is supposed to cost 300 USD to and preform like a 980 Ti

I believe that when I see it, if they did their whole 300 series lineup would need to be trashed (I doubt they can profit off a 250$ r9 fury),

also amd said before that they are targeting vr minimum spec (970; r9 390 etc) for 349$ or less but with lower power consumption.

When was the last time a new GPU release destroyed the gpu price/performance lineup like a 300$ 980ti with low power usage would?

1 minute ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

I believe that when I see it, if they did their whole 300 series lineup would need to be trashed (I doubt they can profit off a 250$ r9 fury),

also amd said before that they are targeting vr minimum spec (970; r9 390 etc) for 349$ or less but with lower power consumption.

Polaris is meant to replace 300 series why wouldn't they trash it 

I assume Polaris 10 will be the new minimum spec GPU for VR from AMD

22 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

Good morning guys,

I am able to buy 2 BRAND NEW EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified for $700 CAD each (they retail in store for $1000 CAD each now) 

They have warranty... but should I buy them now?? It is almost time for new release on new generation GPU.

Thanks

SLI is becoming more and more of a waste of money. I would get on 980ti and use it till it felt nessicary to upgrade 

unless you are running a multi monitor or 4K setup haveing 2 980ti's is kind of silly 

Just now, ELSknutson said:

SLI is becoming more and more of a waste of money. I would get on 980ti and use it till it felt nessicary to upgrade 

unless you are running a multi monitor or 4K setup haveing 2 980ti's is kind of silly 

So you are saying, getting 1 for $700 will be a viable option? 

So you are saying, getting 1 for $700 will be a viable option? 

What resolution are you running? 

What are a the specs of your PC ?

Just now, ELSknutson said:

What resolution are you running? 

What are a the specs of your PC ?

Currently I am using Intel HD Graphics, running with a 1080P monitor, if i get the 980 Ti Classified, i will upgrade to a 1440P 

System Specs:

Intel HD Graphics

i5-4670K

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

EVGA 850 G2 

4x4GB Kingston HyperX 

Adata 120GB SSD

Seagate 1TB HDD

Corsair 450D case 

Since you are going to be running in 1440 I would go with just a single card then. If you were going for 4K gaming it might be better to go with two but in this case 1 will be more than enough.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

Currently I am using Intel HD Graphics, running with a 1080P monitor, if i get the 980 Ti Classified, i will upgrade to a 1440P 

System Specs:

Intel HD Graphics

i5-4670K

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

EVGA 850 G2 

4x4GB Kingston HyperX 

Adata 120GB SSD

Seagate 1TB HDD

Corsair 450D case 

if you upgrade your monitor then yes get 1 980ti 

otherwise I would go with something like an R9 390,390x, or 980