Intel wants USB-C to replace the headphone jack

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/27/11516410/intel-usb-c-audio-no-headphone-jack

http://i.imgur.com/BfqqLNo.jpg

Recently there has been a smartphone maker in China called LeEco who has done away with the 3.5mm headphone jack on its Android phones,

well before what everyone would have expected Apple to do (only with the lightning connector).

Well, it turns out that Intel has teamed up with LeEco and wants to do away with the 3.5mm standard on mobile devices

with a few reasons:

1: Its Analogue, switching over to a digital interface will allow manufactures to implement a DAC and amplifier (Very useful for high impedance headphones)

(My thoughts, most high impedance headphones are 3.5mm or use 1/8" jacks, so maybe a converter would be needed)

2: It can also then be modified to be used in health applications, such as temperature monitoring.

My thoughts:

I can see where intel is going with the idea. A universal connector that can transmit audio/data/video/power is great. But compatibility might be an issue and adoption might also be an issue

since there is so much of an eco-system already fro 3.5mm devices such as car inputs, headphones/speakers ect. But I don't want to to be come a 1 port solution, much like Apple's Macbook.

What do you guys think? Is this a smart move? Will there be issues, please leave them down below!

USB_rendering_trademark_USB-IF.bmp

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Yes. Because we need 10gbs for audio. 

This is as stupid as Apple wanting to get rid of the headphones jack. 

Too much of an ecosystem, too established, and nothing wrong with it. 

- snip-

Well, a pair of headphones is an inherently analog thing. I can't see why the analog nature of the 3.5mm jack is a problem. Simplicity is a virtue, not a weakness.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

4 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Yes. Because we need 10gbs for audio. 

This is as stupid as Apple wanting to get rid of the headphones jack. 

Too much of an ecosystem, too established, and nothing wrong with it. 

Except that's not true at all. No high end home theater/stereo system uses analog audio for a reason. On a mobile device it's generally not as big a deal due to the quality of the headphones generally being used and the fact that interference isn't as big of a concern (although it still needs to be accommodated for). 

Not to mention a USB-C replacement would be able to handle future functionality. Plus I really want the Bluetooth standard to be pushed forward as it still not where it should be.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Let people have an option instead of getting it rid of it for every single device.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

3 minutes ago, gFrenken97 said:

I can see how manufacturers want to get rid of it because the 3,5mm audio jack takes up a lot of space on the already tiny motherboard.

The 3.5mm jack has been around since 1964, I think it's time for a change.

Dont mind me asking, how do you get images to show in the post? I can't figure it out for some reason. xD

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except that's not true at all. No high end home theater/stereo system uses analog audio for a reason. 

On a mobile device it's generally not as big a deal due to the quality of the headphones generally being used and the fact that interference isn't as big of a concern (although it still needs to be accommodated for). 

Not to mention a USB-C replacement would be able to handle future functionality. 

Fair enough. But on anything that isn't a massive $3000 home theater setup, we don't need it. 

Mobile devices should always,  always have a headphone jack. There's literally no point  to change it. 

Such as...? 

3 hours ago, ManWithBeard1990 said:

Well, a pair of headphones is an inherently analog thing. I can't see why the analog nature of the 3.5mm jack is a problem. Simplicity is a virtue, not a weakness.

And what about cheap IEMs? Will they also have to include a built in Dac and amp? 

3 hours ago, gFrenken97 said:

I can see how manufacturers want to get rid of it because the 3,5mm audio jack takes up a lot of space on the already tiny motherboard.

The 3.5mm jack has been around since 1964, I think it's time for a change.

It's hardly like usb c will take less. 

Why? 

- snip-

3 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Fair enough. But on anything that isn't a massive $3000 home theater setup, we don't need it. 

Mobile devices should always,  always have a headphone jack. There's literally no point  to change it. 

Such as...? 

Well interference is still an issue even on cheaper headphones. Isn't that what causes the noise when you rub/touch the headphone cable (shielded cables are a thing though, but that doesn't help much on IEMs or anything with a non detachable cable). 

Something smaller, less interference, a second port that could serve more than one purpose. 

Dont nut know yet, but that doesn't mean something won't come out (let's be honest, most tech innovations aren't things you would have expected before you were told about then).

And what about cheap IEMs? Will they also have to include a built in Dac and amp? 

Supposedly USB-C can support analog as well, so it would be up to the manufacturer as to whether they include analog and digital support or just one or the other. I would assume they would almost have to include analog support to accommodate 99% of headphones that people already have.

Why? 

Supposedly 3.5mm does already take up more space internally. (Read the article)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Also,an advantage the jack has that USB doesn't is that it can somewhat act as a strain relief: suppose you have headphones with an anled connector, as  many of them do, the connector can spin in the jack because it's round. Puts way less stress on the jack and the PCB. There's no way they can make the USB-C connector as durable as that, being mashed about in your pockets all the time it'll fail eventually. Remember it's about the same size as micro-USB which has a poor reputation already. C is supposed to be more durable but time will tell. I doubt it can surpass the good old 3.5 mm plug.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

This will be a very slow difficult integration product but i can still see it working in the end. Though honestly I feel like a new standard for a digital mobile jack would be nice. Something smaller and seperate from the usb port so it dosn't get in the way of common things like charging. 

My GTX 970 carries me to global.

3 minutes ago, ManWithBeard1990 said:

Also,an advantage the jack has that USB doesn't is that it can somewhat act as a strain relief: suppose you have headphones with an anled connector, as  many of them do, the connector can spin in the jack because it's round. Puts way less stress on the jack and the PCB. There's no way they can make the USB-C connector as durable as that, being mashed about in your pockets all the time it'll fail eventually. Remember it's about the same size as micro-USB which has a poor reputation already. C is supposed to be more durable but time will tell. I doubt it can surpass the good old 3.5 mm plug.

I know a decent number of people who have broken the 3.5mm connector inside the jack. While it's durable, it's also fragile because of it's length. And look at the lightning connector, which is very durable, so USB-C can definitely show a similar durability. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except that's not true at all. No high end home theater/stereo system uses analog audio for a reason. On a mobile device it's generally not as big a deal due to the quality of the headphones generally being used and the fact that interference isn't as big of a concern (although it still needs to be accommodated for). 

Not to mention a USB-C replacement would be able to handle future functionality. Plus I really want the Bluetooth standard to be pushed forward as it still not where it should be.

Except the fact that professional recording studios use analog TRS 1/4" and XLR for most of their connections. You won't find a studio without analog audio somewhere in the chain. There's a reason for that.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

6 minutes ago, ManWithBeard1990 said:

That's true, that thing is indestructible.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, gFrenken97 said:

Or maybe because it's ridiculously expensive to upgrade and not (yet) neccessary.

Look at software, many companies still use Windows XP, or even Windows NT

Professional recording studios are being built today with analog audio. They have millions of dollars at their disposal.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

21 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Why? 

30% less actually.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So is the DAC in the headphones in this plan? Because that would mean a whole new factor to consider with buying headphones. 

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

This would be great, if manufacturers put two USB-C ports on their phones. But I doubt that would happen. A single port on my phone sounds like a nightmare I would have in my sleep. I would absolutely hate having to use an adapter to use my headphones and charge my phone at the same time.

And yes, I know Bluetooth headphones exist. For now, and probably for a while, they suck, and if they don't suck they're hundreds of dollars. Not an option.

1 minute ago, SirRoderick said:

So is the DAC in the headphones in this plan? Because that would mean a whole new factor to consider with buying headphones. 

Yeah, that sucks too.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

30% less actually.

30% of a headphone jack ain't much. It'll make a difference, but not a big one. 

- snip-

Just now, MrDynamicMan said:

30% of a headphone jack ain't much. It'll make a difference, but not a big one. 

The circuitry on the motherboard can be scrapped and the designs made cheaper and smaller and more flexible. Fine by me.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

See I would buy this argument but HTC already provides a DAC in their newest flagship device. 

One port is a device I will never buy. 

Two USB ports and I could learn to live with it (even being super annoyed for now). 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

See I would buy this argument but HTC already provides a DAC in their newest flagship device. 

One port is a device I will never buy. 

Two USB ports and I could learn to live with it (even being super annoyed for now). 

Most would probably be 2-port solutions, and in the worst case, a USB-C splitter won't be expensive.

8 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Most would probably be 2-port solutions, and in the worst case, a USB-C splitter won't be expensive.

Still. I wouldn't want to have to deal with a splitter. Although, I would personally switch to everything bluetooth. As it is, I'd like to mod my DT990s for bluetooth connectivity, if only I could do the same with my SE215s, as I do still prefer them to my BackBeat Go 2s.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Alexp10v2 said:

Its Analogue, switching over to a digital interface will allow manufactures to implement a DAC and amplifier

that' BS

to implement an external DAC you will need to power it, where fom? the the phone's battery of course - and you're back where you started

there's nothing wrong with the headphone jack

if they want to implement an alternative (not replacement) via the USB type C, that's OK