Unplugging GPU power while pc is on?

Go to solution Solved by Boobies Sprinkle,

Kamikaze. 

I just had a wild idea, what if i unplugged the 6 pin connector on my GTX 970 while the system was running? not stress testing or anything but at idle. Would the pc just flat out turn off or will the system run fine until it realizes there is no power to the GPU? or will it run idle forever? i know this is a very stupid question but i don't wanna brick my GTX 970 while trying to figure out what will happen xD

So my question to you guys is do you know what would happen?

Thanks in advance :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Don't do it.

I doubt it will cause any damage, but it's possible.

If I had to guess, your system would run fine until your GPU drew too much power, then it would either restart the card or trigger something in the PSU to turn off the system.

But I might be wrong. Like I said, don't do it if you value your card.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

your system would probably crash

also, why would you think of doing something like that?

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

system crash

possible gpu driver corrupt

possible hardware damage

possibly the dumbest idea ive seen today `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Don't do it.

I doubt it will cause any damage, but it's possible.

If I had to guess, your system would run fine until your GPU drew too much power, then it would either restart the card or trigger something in the PSU to turn off the system.

But I might be wrong. Like I said, don't do it if you value your card.

Yea i luv ma 970, it would make sense if it would still run fine at idle as the traces on the mobo can supply like 80 watts to the card. And there are some cards that have no PCI-e connectors so ye.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

system crash

possible gpu driver corrupt

possible hardware damage

possibly the dumbest idea ive seen today `-`

It would be funny to see what would happen tho xD maybe i have drank too much coffee today...

4 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

your system would probably crash

also, why would you think of doing something like that?

I just randomly thought of it while i was just looking at MSI afterburner xD

2 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

It would be funny to see what would happen tho xD maybe i have drank too much coffee today...

Yes, if blowing up a $300 piece of hardware is something you find funny.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

I just randomly thought of it while i was just looking at MSI afterburner xD

meh, i can't blame you, i once removed 1 ramstick while my system was running. it obviously crashed

some questions in life are so dumb, but we srsly want answers. haha

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

1 minute ago, Zenedge said:

meh, i can't blame you, i once removed 1 ramstick while my system was running. it obviously crashed

some questions in life are so dumb, but we srsly want answers. haha

Yea i had an old dell where i just messed around with it. I took the ram out while it was running. The system didn't crash it actually produced nice green and red lines on the screen. And the longer i did it the cooler it got. Btw the ram didn't work after that xD. I also took the CPU out which turned off the system immediately. Seriously don't ask lol. 

I think it would run fine at idle, but when put under load, the performance would be significantly reduced until power was restored; similar to how components would thermal throttle until cooled

I've actually been wondering if it's possible to hot swap SATA storage devices.

Or SATA optical drives.

This one time my computer wouldn't POST and I took it out to check and then I realized I hadn't connected the PCI-E power cables into the GPU. I seriously thought the GPU was dead D=

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Yea i had an old dell where i just messed around with it. I took the ram out while it was running. The system didn't crash it actually produced nice green and red lines on the screen. And the longer i did it the cooler it got. Btw the ram didn't work after that xD. I also took the CPU out which turned off the system immediately. Seriously don't ask lol. 

There should be an entire workshop episode where they unplug different components with the PC running and see what happens

• 4 years later...
On 4/26/2016 at 9:50 PM, KezzaMcFezza said:

I just had a wild idea, what if i unplugged the 6 pin connector on my GTX 970 while the system was running? not stress testing or anything but at idle. Would the pc just flat out turn off or will the system run fine until it realizes there is no power to the GPU? or will it run idle forever? i know this is a very stupid question but i don't wanna brick my GTX 970 while trying to figure out what will happen xD

So my question to you guys is do you know what would happen?

Thanks in advance :P

I did this by mistake and now the Fans turn on but I have no pictures and was working fine just before I did that