AMD Polaris 10 GPU Reportedly Offers Near 980 Ti Performance For 300 USD

Aytex

Also, if this is the "mainstream stuff"...

Count me exited for the Fury X/R9 Nano successor.

Ye ole' train

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

because in both cases I'm not comparing performance but the brackets current products are placed by AMD

And that's nothing to cry about. The lower, the better. Pay less for more performance.

Or are you telling me you want less powerful GPUs be put at even higher price brackets? No thank you. :dry:

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

35 minutes ago, Slickwicked said:

Obviously you don't run a business lol

33 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Lol the funny thing is, most of my family does. And I know when you want stuff to sell, and you need it to sell, you sell it as cheap as possible. AMD needs a shit ton of money, and if they have to mark down their GPU that much, they will

The strategy you're talking about is called price penetration - It's where you sell your product at low margins so that you can gain market share quickly. 

It makes you a shit load of revenue, and virtually no profit until scale of economies kicks in (and given AMD's size, it would be safe to assume they're already benefiting from economies of scale). AMD could definitely use the market share, but they wouldn't be doing that to make money. 

The new process, and other improvements could have reduced the cost of the new chip to a point they're comfortable selling it for $300USD - and you have to consider that if they leave too much money in that price/performance bracket, it leaves the doors wide open for Nvidia to undercut them so it's in their best interest to price the chip reasonably. 

When a process is new the amount of defects in the chips per yield are still high, that's the reason why the 390/970 segment dropped so low in price, the process was so old they had no choice but to drop the prices until pascal/polaris comes, now they have no reason to sell the 490/1070 as low as 300. the 1060/480 that will replace the 390/970 in performance will cost that much. especially if the reports about maxwell being discontinued are true. the last of the stock is being slowly sold right now until pascal comes out. 

this is probably the factory exit price, on the shelves after taxes and profit will be 500$ in US, and ~700 euro in europe

4 hours ago, IMPERIUS said:

Meh it didn't really "destroy" anything

how the hell do you consider up to 20-30% improvement for the same price point not destroy?

2 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Lol the funny thing is, most of my family does. And I know when you want stuff to sell, and you need it to sell, you sell it as cheap as possible. AMD needs a shit ton of money, and if they have to mark down their GPU that much, they will

Oh man, don't own your own business, 

If the card is actually faster than a 980ti. And they sell it for 300, it'll cannibalize sales on their other cards. So theyll loose money, considering a fury x might be equal or bettr than a 980ti. It sells for around 500 to 600, the r9 cards are from 250 to 450, so why would they sell the new one for 300 dollars and undercut every single card they have, I can guarantee its not going to be 300 dollars, alsoAMD doesn't need that much money, AMD makes cpu,gpu for xbone,ps4,new nintendo, 40 million ps4 over 20 million xbox ones sold, now the nx  plus the new ps4 neo, AMD is fine, 

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

I'm not downplaying anything

it's based on what AMD already considers mainstream, not what you me and the average consumer considers mainstream

and 980Ti like performance is not mainstream at all, it's quite hi-end

Inflation? Any kind of freaking factors could change the price bracket of mainstream. Do you think that in 2100, the mainstream bracket is still going to be 150-250$?

600 in 2005 is 727$ in 2014

10 minutes ago, Slickwicked said:

If the card is actually faster than a 980ti. And they sell it for 300, it'll cannibalize sales on their other cards. So theyll loose money, considering a fury x might be equal or bettr than a 980ti. It sells for around 500 to 600, the r9 cards are from 250 to 450, so why would they sell the new one for 300 dollars and undercut every single card they have, I can guarantee its not going to be 300 dollars, alsoAMD doesn't need that much money, AMD makes cpu,gpu for xbone,ps4,new nintendo, 40 million ps4 over 20 million xbox ones sold, now the nx  plus the new ps4 neo, AMD is fine, 

AMD is not fine. Their stock is 4 dollars. THATS SHIT. They need money. And they dont care about their old card. If their best card is better, they can always underclock to make it cheaper. It's a very, very good strategy

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

17 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Inflation? Any kind of freaking factors could change the price bracket of mainstream. Do you think that in 2100, the mainstream bracket is still going to be 150-250$?

600 in 2005 is 727$ in 2014

what are you talking about!? the discussion was based on what AMD considers mainstream performance

what does this has to do with pricing?! inflation?!

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what are you talking about!? the discussion was based on what AMD considers mainstream performance

what does this has to do with pricing?! inflation?!

Are you trying to say there's no correlation between mainstream performance and price? When someone shits in your noodles, just throw the bowl away, dont add salt and try to eat it anyway.

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

Are you trying to say there's no correlation between mainstream performance and price? When someone shits in your noodles, just throw the bowl away, dont add salt and try to eat it anyway.

if AMD made that parallel good, if not .. then I have nothing further to discuss

40 minutes ago, Slickwicked said:

AMD is not fine. They're in serious financial trouble. Oh and the consoles aren't that profitable for AMD. 

27 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

AMD is not fine. Their stock is 4 dollars. THATS SHIT. They need money. And they dont care about their old card. If their best card is better, they can always underclock to make it cheaper. It's a very, very good strategy

The stock being $4 ($3.54 atm) doesn't make it bad, although AMD is in trouble (but you can have a cheap stock while still being a successful/profitable company).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

27 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Lol ok, stocks aren't as important as u think

Well I'll be looking for a new GPU this summer if that's the case :) 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

AMD is not fine. They're in serious financial trouble. Oh and the consoles aren't that profitable for AMD. 

The stock being $4 ($3.54 atm) doesn't make it bad, although AMD is in trouble (but you can have a cheap stock while still being a successful/profitable company).

They don't make the consoles for trade in bananas, I'm sure they get paid enough, unless u have whitesheets on their overall profit per console

7 minutes ago, Slickwicked said:

What I'm saying is they're worth very little compared to it's rivals

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

6 minutes ago, Slickwicked said:

They don't make the consoles for trade in bananas, I'm sure they get paid enough, unless u have whitesheets on their overall profit per console

Well, there have been tens of millions of consoles sold, and AMD supplied the hardware for all of them, yet AMD is still I serious financial trouble. Clearly consoles aren't making a big impact, which leads me to the conclusion that they're not that profitable for AMD. Which makes sense since they had to undercut Nvidia in order to get the console contracts.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I don't get it. Why would AMD charge $300 for a card that clearly has $600 of value today?
 $500 would be a better price point since people are going to buy anyway.

I wonder what @zMeul thinks about this?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well, there have been tens of millions of consoles sold, and AMD supplied the hardware for all of them, yet AMD is still I serious financial trouble. Clearly consoles aren't making a big impact, which leads me to the conclusion that they're not that profitable for AMD. Which makes sense since they had to undercut Nvidia in order to get the console contracts.

AMD's Stock Price Skyrockets 52% in a Single Day

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I wonder what @zMeul thinks about this?

i already gave my thought on this: it's bullcrap! where is the source for this so called "rumor" ;)

Just now, zMeul said:

i already gave my thought on this: it's bullcrap! where is the source for this so called "rumor" ;)

As always, your insight is interesting and resourceful. :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

As always, your insight is interesting and resourceful. :)

you asked me something, now don't come complaining if you don't like the answer xD

if this is a 300$ card, it's not at 980Ti performance - the costs alone of producing low yield GPUs cannot be possibly covered under that price

Best of luck to AMD. Can't wait for Nvidia to get off their asses and make a true performance GPU again. Probably would have been happy to stick to 28nm if AMD didn't plan on switching.

16 minutes ago, Slickwicked said:

Stock prices fluctuate, but you have to remember that it's the capital value of the company - so when your debt>capital value, you're insolvent and shouldn't be trading. 

So if you were basing your debt to equity ratio on stocks that have a MV of $15 and they drop to $5, you're in a lot of trouble.