Upgrading Office 2010 to 2016 worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Denned,

If you are some kind of insane power user of Excel or something like that, then maybe. But otherwise, you'll still be able to write text just as good in 2010 as you can in 2016.

Is it worth upgrading to Microsoft Office 2016? Help would be appreciated!

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

For personal use, it might not be worth it. Up until last year, I was using office 99 without any problems. I have office 2013 at home and 2016 at work and I don't notice any difference so I think the same could probably be said about 2010-2016.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

3 minutes ago, Fortress said:

I feel like your question is too general. What do you usually do with Office products?

There are some newer features that are kind of worthwhile, but I wouldn't upgrade just for the fun of it.

Just now, Fortress said:

Do you want the cloud features? Probably not.

Do you want kinda fancy cursor movements, smooth interface, LOT of templates for different kind of files? Are are you happy with a blank word document and can work out everything from there by your own?

It depends on your answers to the above questions. 

Id personally wouldnt, unless if im getting it as part of a promotion or anything. Its a nice refresh, bu even the Word 1007 version im using in my old PC serves my needs quite well. 

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

To be honest the only reason I use Office at all is I have a 'free' copy (it's a blue enterprise copy) and it is Office 2007.  Ask yourself how often do I use the items that has availlable (Table of contents, Index etc) then wonder why you would need more .  Stick to free alternatives, Officelibre, Open Office etc, hell Wordpad  does most of the things needed

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

2 minutes ago, soup said:

To be honest the only reason I use Office at all is I have a 'free' copy (it's a blue enterprise copy) and it is Office 2007.  Ask yourself how often do I use the items that has availlable (Table of contents, Index etc) then wonder why you would need more .  Stick to free alternatives, Officelibre, Open Office etc, hell Wordpad  does most of the things needed

This is not sound advise. While free alternatives are functional, they are far from industry standards. The last thing you want to put on a resume is "Office products (sort of)." Use Office. Learn VBA. It's better in the long run.

21 minutes ago, JohnT said:

While free alternatives are functional, they are far from industry standards.

I've never seen an "industry standard" text file type that LibreOffice couldn't open.

So if Jones from accounts sends you a .docx file you can open it.

Learning VBA is probably a bit ecessive for your 'typical' secretary/beancounter/office drone etc.

I remember doing my ECDL and ECDL advanced

they were supposed to be platform independant but we were taught and tested on MS office exclusively

had a very minor hissy at that but decided not to rock the boat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Computer_Driving_Licence

Note the other software environments could be used, such as Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice. line.

Cant get much more "industry standard" than 'thats what we run tests on'.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"